PDA

View Full Version : pls appraise homo.hk, any comments welcome!

pspdropship
4th September 2007, 01:18 AM
homo.hk, what do u think?:)

Asiaplay
4th September 2007, 08:30 AM
I think the gay population is reasonably large in Hong Kong... however

a) Is "homo" what this group would like to be referred to? (general term here is gay in English and the Cantonese version also sounds like "Gay" as far as I know... also not sure if all Gays here would have a clue what homo means...).
b) What specifically would this domain be used for (like commercially)?

Answer these two questions and I think you have your answer - cheers, Asiaplay

PS: with the large number of .hk domains / IDNs available this would not be my first choice... ;)

touchring
4th September 2007, 08:37 AM
in singapore, homo is what straight men use, especially when among men, and often used in a mockery manner.

"Err....Is he homo?"

"Don't touch me, I'm not homo!"

mgrohan
4th September 2007, 08:43 AM
I think homo is more of a derogatory term for gays. In Cantonese they use 基佬 for gay people, with the first part a transliteration of gay in english. They do not use the term homo.
Therefore the value of the domain homo.hk would not be great.

Asiaplay
4th September 2007, 08:56 AM
Agree with both comments above for Hong Kong... guys are dead right - cheers, Asiaplay

pspdropship
5th September 2007, 10:30 AM
homo can also refer to women right?

jacksonm
5th September 2007, 10:45 AM
homo can also refer to women right?

Not really. Homo is used as a derogatory term for a gay man. Even when using the term homosexual, for all intents and purposes it refers to men. Lesbian(ism) is used for women.

I can not imagine any homosexual person wishing to be referred to as a "homo". I think they would prefer either "gay" or "lesbian".

mgrohan
5th September 2007, 11:23 AM
The lesbian equivalent would probably be lez, lesbo, leso. Again all pretty derogatory terms. Bit comparable to calling a Japanese, the shortened version. Big no no..

pspdropship
6th September 2007, 08:56 AM
so what if it's homo.com, instead of homo.hk? i mean if this word is so hard to monetize, then homo.com would also be useless and not worth a thing, right?
but in reality, i know homo.com worths a lot, but still, there must be someway to monetize it beside having a top extension for it to worth that much...

i mean straight people have a general curiosity about the gay community, they might want to see how it works and get satisfied in some way, just like viewing other types of adult content, we know there are a lot, and homo is just one of them.

i know this word is not respectiful to gay, but the target audience is not necessarily gay. i mean there's always a 'homo' section on an adult website where people of all type likes to check out, right? :)

jacksonm
6th September 2007, 08:59 AM
A derogatory term is a derogatory term, period. It doesn't matter if it's written with gold.

This domain is not worth a damned thing. Period.

pspdropship
6th September 2007, 09:21 AM
A derogatory term is a derogatory term, period. It doesn't matter if it's written with gold.

This domain is not worth a damned thing. Period.

so is it more derogatory than "go fuck yourself"??

jacksonm
6th September 2007, 09:32 AM
so is it more derogatory than "go fuck yourself"??

I would say about equivalent.

yanni
6th September 2007, 09:50 AM
From Google:

HomO - the Ombudsman against Discrimination because of Sexual ...
The Ombudsman against Discrimination on grounds of Sexual Orientation (in Swedish with the acronym HomO) is appointed by the Swedish Government. ...
www.homo.se/o.o.i.s/1210 - 28k - Cached - Similar pages

pspdropship
7th September 2007, 08:02 AM
can't really think of any sex related domains being not derogatory, offensive, and dirty...

burnsinternet
7th September 2007, 08:16 AM
Develop it and see how it works out. That will be the only way to know for sure.

Homo in English would only refer to gay males, so don't expect a lot of traffic if you try to package it as a lesbian or tranny site. It would have to be a gay site.

Just a guess: I don't think the members of this forum are incredibly qualified to appraise this adult gay ascii domain. Maybe some, but not the majority here. Try GFY or another adult webmaster forum. Get some outside opinions.

Just trying to help....

pspdropship
7th September 2007, 08:18 AM
Develop it and see how it works out. That will be the only way to know for sure.

Homo in English would only refer to gay males, so don't expect a lot of traffic if you try to package it as a lesbian or tranny site. It would have to be a gay site.

Just a guess: I don't think the members of this forum are incredibly qualified to appraise this adult gay ascii domain. Maybe some, but not the majority here. Try GFY or another adult webmaster forum. Get some outside opinions.

Just trying to help....

thanks a lot!:)