PDA

View Full Version : Another Doomsdayer.

sarcle
7th March 2006, 06:45 PM
I saw this guy immediately post on circleid.com on "Black Monday" or the day of the reports of China splitting up the internet.

But he's still going off. Saying that Icann is moving to slow on idns and that these countries are going to seize this opportunity to take control of their own names.

Should that come to pass, last week will be remembered as the beginning of the end of ICANN's exclusive grip on the governance of the Internet's domain name system.

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/8112

touchring
7th March 2006, 06:49 PM
It doesn't matter a .com is still a .com. People may come up with all sorts of extension, but they will still be 2nd class.

sarcle
7th March 2006, 06:52 PM
It doesn't matter a .com is still a .com. People may come up with all sorts of extension, but they will still be 2nd class.

Yes, but that isn't his point.

While ICANN has conducted studies and consultations on IDN implementation, progress has been painfully slow.

With an alternate IDN system in place, it would relatively simple for China to migrate toward a true “national root” or alternate Internet since a system is now in place for their ISPs to work with domain name alternatives.

His point is that they still will go ahead with severing ties with Icann because of Icann's lack of ability to impliment them entirely so far.

Rubber Duck
7th March 2006, 07:18 PM
Yes, he obviously likes to put his own spin on things. The bottom line is that apart from getting a few extra extension perhaps, putting pressure on ICANN to implement IDN.IDN, and not being subservient to US policy, China's interests are much the same as everyone elses.

Yes they they will probably get the upper hand over Verisign with the claim extension as by using them they more or less assume intellectual property right over them.

Yes, ICANN is going to have to get it act together over IDN.IDN but that has been recognised and is now in progress. Give Verisign the Green Light and it will all happen very quickly.

And yes the US is going to have to accept probably sooner than later that it cannot hold a VETO over the governance of the Internet.

Does that mean the Internet is about to split? Emphatically NO!

touchring
7th March 2006, 07:31 PM
This splitting is really crazy talk - implementing a North Korean style 'intranet'? Even Dear Kim surfs the internet on IDD.

I hope domainers being experts in this field can see the ridicularity of this scenario.

sarcle
7th March 2006, 07:31 PM
Yes, ICANN is going to have to get it act together over IDN.IDN but that has been recognised and is now in progress. Give Verisign the Green Light and it will all happen very quickly.

You are right on this. They are going to have to pull it all together and quickly. If anyone can't smell that immediate change is in the air they need their sensors checked. The addition of idn to legacy only forums, the constant news, the sales, the increasing traffic, companies addressing idn, the policies, added along with much more investor awareness. It's a far cry from just the 10 of us talking fluff to each other in October.

Does that mean the Internet is about to split? Emphatically NO!

Yes, you are right. Now as long as they don't talk complete fluff at their meeting at the end of this month we will be golden. They had better get off their asses, that is for sure.

Rubber Duck
7th March 2006, 07:35 PM
This splitting is really crazy talk - implementing a North Korean style 'intranet'? Even Dear Kim surfs the internet on IDD.

I hope domainers being experts in this field can see the ridicularity of this scenario.

No, your average domainer still regards us as Dumb F*cks that are going to loose out big time!

idnowner
7th March 2006, 07:51 PM
Yes they they will probably get the upper hand over Verisign with the claim extension as by using them they more or less assume intellectual property right over them.

I don't think they can claim rights to the .IDN extension - as new.net and other alternate roots could not claim rights on .biz and other extensions, even though they promoted, sold and implemented them with plug-ins.

Drewbert
7th March 2006, 08:10 PM
I don't think they can claim rights to the .IDN extension - as new.net and other alternate roots could not claim rights on .biz and other extensions, even though they promoted, sold and implemented them with plug-ins.

Really?

Explain why there isn't a .web yet then.

touchring
7th March 2006, 08:13 PM

I think what Dave meant was that, since China implemented .company and .network within China itself, it would be fruitless for ICANN to use back the same 2 extensions, especially when one considers that 99.999% of chinese idn users will be located in China.

So ICANN will have to use other words to represent .com and .net, maybe single characters.

Explorer
7th March 2006, 08:51 PM
We need ICANN and China not to fight and play nice. Let's hope there are some friendly talks between those two and there is a solution for both of them to play in the sand. When there is some kind of an agreement and other countries take notice, ICANN/Verisign's DNAME implementation could be just around the corner.

idnowner
7th March 2006, 09:31 PM
Really?

Explain why there isn't a .web yet then.

If you're claiming that there is not a .web because someone has claimed rights to that extension, then post your evidence. Otherwise your post carries no weight.

Drewbert
7th March 2006, 09:47 PM
My post has no weight because you have no idea of the history of ICANN?

Google +"chris ambler" +icann

19800 hits. That'll keep you busy for a while.

idnowner
7th March 2006, 09:57 PM
My post has no weight because you have no idea of the history of ICANN?

Google +"chris ambler" +icann

19800 hits. That'll keep you busy for a while.

The only thing that will keep me busy for a while is calling 911 and having the people in the white coats come and take you away.

Drewbert
7th March 2006, 10:13 PM
I'll mark that down as a win by default.

idnowner
7th March 2006, 10:27 PM
I'll mark that down as a win by default.

Mark it down for whatever you want, Drewbert. You can take your high-and-mighty attitude elsewhere. If you want to discuss IDNs, and if you've got a point to make, then make it, instead of trying to engage in some kind of competition of wits to somehow prove your superiority in Internet history. Like I said before, if you know there is not a .web because of some IP rights, then say what you know, instead of giving some smart-ass "Google +"chris ambler" +icann" reply. If you wanted to explain what you know, you might actually help others learn something. And even if there is something about rights to .web, it may or may not apply in the case of China's TLD for IDNs.

Drewbert
8th March 2006, 12:32 AM
I'm not wasting my time trying to have to prove to you that my posts "hold water".

If you can't be arsed to google that, then you clearly will never know where ICANN came from nor where it's going and you'll continue to post stuff that's laughable.