PDA

View Full Version : IDN.org is now live

zenmarketing
8th September 2007, 05:42 PM
Hi Guys,

I'd like to take this opportunity to announce that earlier this week I acquired the domain name IDN.org.

As an IDN investor, I have often felt that all of the information and resources about IDN domains was scattered in many different places across the web. To date, there has been no authority for information about IDN's.

Now there is -- IDN.org.

It's just starting out and I would invite all of you to join and begin adding resources to the wiki. Over the coming weeks and months I intend IDN.org to become the leading unbiased resource for information on IDN domains.

Joe Davison

jacksonm
8th September 2007, 05:50 PM
Hi Guys,

I'd like to take this opportunity to announce that earlier this week I acquired the domain name IDN.org.

As an IDN investor, I have often felt that all of the information and resources about IDN domains was scattered in many different places across the web. To date, there has been no authority for information about IDN's.

Now there is -- IDN.org.

It's just starting out and I would invite all of you to join and begin adding resources to the wiki. Over the coming weeks and months I tend IDN.org to become the leading unbiased resource for information on IDN domains.

Joe Davison

Nice domain! Congrats.

Fka200
8th September 2007, 06:37 PM
Awesome Zen. If you need anything, just drop me a message! I'm ready to help with what I can.

Drewbert
8th September 2007, 11:40 PM
Jeez, Joe!

Change the subject to read "idn.org website launched" or something.

I nearly had a heart failure. I though .org had opened up their IDN to all languages (again) and I'd been caught on the back foot!

Don't DO that!

Wot
9th September 2007, 12:07 AM
IDN.org

What language is that in ;)

Not too expensive I hope?

I can't give much input due to my lack of expertise but certainly bucketloads of encouragement.

mgrohan
9th September 2007, 02:58 AM
Great idea, will be good to have an authority site for idns that can help to spread the word. Hopefully everybody will be able to get behind it.

dabsi
9th September 2007, 08:06 AM
Is this wikipedia linked? :)

DABSI

zenmarketing
9th September 2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am really excited about the project and the prospects for amassing all of the great knowledge out there about IDN's into one place.

Dabsi, the site runs on the same software as Wikipedia but is not related to Wikipedia in any other way.

Anyone can jump in and edit any page, or create a new page on any topic. So, for example, I don't know anything about Arabic, and don't invest in that space, but I am sure there are a lot of issues around Arabic domains that those who do invest in them know a lot about. If that's you, you could simply navigate to www.idn.org/Arabic , click "Edit", and start typing away.

Anyone who wants to make a topic about anything just has to go to www.IDN.org/Anything and start creating it.

Eventually we will have to introduce moderators and registration, but for now I am testing the waters with keeping it completely open... let's see what the community can create!

I started earlier today by creating this page: www.idn.org/Chinese in response to a thread that was posted asking several of the questions that I answered on that page.

Joe

blastfromthepast
12th September 2007, 10:09 PM
Eventually we will have to introduce moderators and registration, but for now I am testing the waters with keeping it completely open... let's see what the community can create!

Actually, you are not keeping it completely open. I got a nasty PM from you right after I edited your site.

domainguru
12th September 2007, 10:11 PM
Actually, you are not keeping it completely open. I got a nasty PM from you right after I edited your site.

Guess it depends what the edit was - care to elaborate?

zenmarketing
13th September 2007, 01:10 AM
Blast changed the link to jp-domains.net to reflect his own affiliate link, and added nothing else to the site. I PM'ed him and told him not to do that again.

Neptune
13th September 2007, 01:44 AM
good idea and great name... i think this has the potential to be a very useful resource moving forward if people contribute to the site appropriately and leave opinions, etc elsewhere

blastfromthepast
14th September 2007, 03:34 AM
I think your site is a step in the wrong direction. The less people know about the tricks of IDNing, the better.

domainguru
14th September 2007, 06:23 AM
I think your site is a step in the wrong direction. The less people know about the tricks of IDNing, the better.

How can a good resource about IDNs be a step in the wrong direction? You sound annoyed because you tried to add an affiliate link to a Wiki and got called out. Surely you must have known such a link isn't what Wiki resources are about?

jacksonm
14th September 2007, 06:45 AM
How can a good resource about IDNs be a step in the wrong direction?

In the same way that an article explaining the drop to every idiot in the world was a step in the wrong direction.

I actually thought Blast's edit was pretty funny :-) I would have reverted it as well, but I do think it was funny!

Olney
14th September 2007, 06:50 AM
Looks really Good...
I tried putting up a wiki once, it is not the simplest script to admin.

blastfromthepast
14th September 2007, 02:11 PM
How can a good resource about IDNs be a step in the wrong direction? You sound annoyed because you tried to add an affiliate link to a Wiki and got called out. Surely you must have known such a link isn't what Wiki resources are about?

There is no such thing as a free lunch. If you want to get free content for your site, without offering anything in return, that's fine, but I'll have no part in it.

IDNs are a competetive business, not a trivia and history buff's knowledge free for all as Wikipedia is. Even in the non-profit world, many professors and researchers are hostile to the wiki concept for exactly the same reason: they get zero profit out of knowledge they gathered and zero credit and recognition for work they otherwise would have published in academic journals. The outcome: very few serious scholars participate in Wikipedia.

IDN.org had no clear rules about edits, he explicitly said it was open. If it is open, I am free to add any kind of links as are relevant.

I have stated before that the only decent affiliate link for registering IDNs at JP-Domains is idn.jp-domains.net (http://idn.jp-domains.net/), and all others, like spec, and the various strange links you see in other people's signatures on this forum are simply low class immitations!

Therefore, I don't see why anyone who cares about IDNs would use any other link! I rushed at the opportunity to correct the error in his wiki, and he got upset. I was only trying to help.

grubstaker
14th September 2007, 02:19 PM
Good domain and site... I actually registered eIDN.org back in early 2006... get's more traffic than usual now so I'm not complaining! ;)

blastfromthepast
14th September 2007, 02:20 PM
How can a good resource about IDNs be a step in the wrong direction?

In the same way that an article explaining the drop to every idiot in the world was a step in the wrong direction.

Which, if I recall correctly, is exactly what domainguru once did.

Your actions, if and when you figure out the drop, will tell us a lot about what sort of person you are and how much respect you have for other members of this board.

Just remember, the Internet never forgets and your reputation will follow you for the rest of your Internet life.

mulligan
14th September 2007, 03:34 PM
I have stated before that the only decent affiliate link for registering IDNs at JP-Domains is xxx, and all others, like spec, and the various strange links you see in other people's signatures on this forum are simply low class immitations!

Therefore, I don't see why anyone who cares about IDNs would use any other link! I rushed at the opportunity to correct the error in his wiki, and he got upset. I was only trying to help.

What makes your link better than any other affiliate link?

zenmarketing
14th September 2007, 04:16 PM
The site was never intended to be only about tricks for investing in and purchasing IDN's. That just seems to be what people have been interested in contributing.

I would also like it to become a place where non-domainers can go to learn about what IDN's are and why they are useful to the non-English speaking world.

Blast makes valid points about many people not wanting to contribute without getting anything in return. In his case, he wanted to get something in return without contributing. I would say that people who hold either of those viewpoints should simply ignore the wiki.

domainguru
14th September 2007, 06:48 PM
There is no such thing as a free lunch. If you want to get free content for your site, without offering anything in return, that's fine, but I'll have no part in it.

IDNs are a competetive business, not a trivia and history buff's knowledge free for all as Wikipedia is. Even in the non-profit world, many professors and researchers are hostile to the wiki concept for exactly the same reason: they get zero profit out of knowledge they gathered and zero credit and recognition for work they otherwise would have published in academic journals. The outcome: very few serious scholars participate in Wikipedia.

IDN.org had no clear rules about edits, he explicitly said it was open. If it is open, I am free to add any kind of links as are relevant.

I have stated before that the only decent affiliate link for registering IDNs at JP-Domains is idn.jp-domains.net (http://idn.jp-domains.net/), and all others, like spec, and the various strange links you see in other people's signatures on this forum are simply low class immitations!

You obviously have no respect for the concept of Wikis, and the implication that Wikipedia isn't an amazing success that is full of great information ... oh dear .... perhaps it should be full of affiliate links, then "serious scholars would participate"?

zenmarketing
14th September 2007, 08:19 PM
Let's keep on topic. Some like wiki's, some don't. Those who don't, shouldn't participate.

I personally find it enjoyable to share knowledge.

Sorry that my sharing of knowledge creates more competition for you, Blast. If you'd like to determine the "right" direction for IDN.org, you can buy it from me.

burnsinternet
14th September 2007, 10:47 PM
Let's keep on topic. Some like wiki's, some don't. Those who don't, shouldn't participate.

I personally find it enjoyable to share knowledge.

Sorry that my sharing of knowledge creates more competition for you, Blast. If you'd like to determine the "right" direction for IDN.org, you can buy it from me.

What is the starting bid and BIN? ;)