PDA

View Full Version : Arabic Domain Names Pilot Project

bwhhisc
16th September 2007, 09:12 PM
Written by the Director of SaudiNIC circa 12/05 but interesting read
A few terms I had not heard before: Poly-IDNs and Mono-IDNs.
Page 18 on gets into report design for "Arabic" root servers and suggested
outcomes. Note ending line of conclusions is use of punycode in the root.

http://www.icann.org/announcements/adnpp-v02-12dec05.pdf

CONCLUSIONS OF REPORT
• Mono-IDN should be supported at the ccTLDs
– ccTLD managers should be given the ability to implement Mono-
IDN and develop their language guidelines and share them with
ICANN.
– ICANN may continue its effort on supporting Poly-IDN and
solving their problems.
• Hence, we supports the proposal submitted by the
Chinese Domain Name Consortium:
– Give the priority to internationalizing ccTLDs.
– One form of language character variant of internationalized ccTLD
is accepted.
– ccTLD registries make their own choice of which IDN character
sets.
– Register and operate the internationalized ccTLDs in the root DNS
server in the form of IDNA Punycode.

Muhammad Mustafa
16th September 2007, 11:31 PM
Written by the Director of SaudiNIC circa 12/05 but interesting read
A few terms I had not heard before: Poly-IDNs and Mono-IDNs.
Page 18 on gets into report design for "Arabic" root servers and suggested
outcomes. Note ending line of conclusions is use of punycode in the root.

http://www.icann.org/announcements/adnpp-v02-12dec05.pdf

CONCLUSIONS OF REPORT
• Mono-IDN should be supported at the ccTLDs
– ccTLD managers should be given the ability to implement Mono-
IDN and develop their language guidelines and share them with
ICANN.
– ICANN may continue its effort on supporting Poly-IDN and
solving their problems.
• Hence, we supports the proposal submitted by the
Chinese Domain Name Consortium:
– Give the priority to internationalizing ccTLDs.
– One form of language character variant of internationalized ccTLD
is accepted.
– ccTLD registries make their own choice of which IDN character
sets.
– Register and operate the internationalized ccTLDs in the root DNS
server in the form of IDNA Punycode.

Poly-IDNs = IDN.ASCII
Mono-IDNs = IDN.IDN
:)

Drewbert
17th September 2007, 12:00 AM
Poly-IDNs = IDN.ASCII
Mono-IDNs = IDN.IDN
:)

Not quite.

When they say mono-IDN, they mean "single script"

arabic.arabic
chinese.chinese
cyrillic.cyrillic

you can have a poly-IDN that is IDN.IDN - it might be chinese.cyrillic or chinese&english.greek as well as chinese.english etc.

burnsinternet
17th September 2007, 02:25 AM
So, the Arabic ccTLDs will go idn.idn first? What a surprise.... :rolleyes:

Bet me a $1 that this is the way it will happen?

BTW, I think that this will not kill Arabic idn.com but it will be interesting to see the impact that specific language idn.idn ccTLD will have versus those language ccTLDs that do not go idn.idn right away.

Drewbert
17th September 2007, 02:34 AM
Multinational companies trading in Arabic countries will be pining for idn.com the minute idn.idn arabic ccTLD's take off.

Once they do, other ccTLD's around the world will have to bow to pressure from their constituents once national pride kicks in.

burnsinternet
17th September 2007, 02:40 AM
It would be cool.

Fka200
17th September 2007, 02:45 AM
I can't wait until ccTLD go live for the Arabic market. It's going to be hilarious.

burnsinternet
17th September 2007, 02:50 AM
I can't wait until ccTLD go live for the Arabic market. It's going to be hilarious.

Why hilarious?

Rubber Duck
17th September 2007, 08:21 AM
ccTLDs will not kill gTLDs in Arabic for the simple reason they are country specific.

Dot EG or Dot Com?

Sorry, no brainer!

So, the Arabic ccTLDs will go idn.idn first? What a surprise.... :rolleyes:

Bet me a $1 that this is the way it will happen?

BTW, I think that this will not kill Arabic idn.com but it will be interesting to see the impact that specific language idn.idn ccTLD will have versus those language ccTLDs that do not go idn.idn right away.

Why hilarious?

It is going to be hilarious because anyone with an ASCII.ASCII URL is going to be completely screwed.

It always made me laugh when the Libyians sprayed out all the direction signs in case of a US invasion. Can you really imagine GIs trying to figure out Arabic Roadsigns when they have GPS?

Fka200
17th September 2007, 08:26 AM
ccTLDs will not kill gTLDs in Arabic for the simple reason they are country specific.

Dot EG or Dot Com?

Sorry, no brainer!

Amen to that! With the internet not fully developed yet, going to ccTLDs is really going to make things better (Sarcasm)!

Read a little more on what they're planning on doing with the ccTLDs to laugh a little bit more. gTLDs are here to stay. Be ASCII or not, RTL or LTR, who cares.

jacksonm
17th September 2007, 08:32 AM

Dot EG or Dot Com?

Sorry, no brainer!

Exactly. Having an arabic idn.idn in .com which can reach the market of over 20 countries will certainly be nice for many types of businesses. Same goes for french, but to a much lesser extent as they are latin based to begin with.

Rubber Duck
17th September 2007, 09:20 AM
Exactly. Having an arabic idn.idn in .com which can reach the market of over 20 countries will certainly be nice for many types of businesses. Same goes for french, but to a much lesser extent as they are latin based to begin with.

So much french vocabulary is shared with English especially in the bastardised ASCII form, and there are so few significant economies where French is actually a truly indigenous language, I doubt that such comparisons are valid.

A pan Arabic extension is going to be the key. Will it be dot Com or dot Arab? The real question is, how long would it take to get consensus on a dot Arab extension? Who would have the best claim on it? How would you ever sort out the dispute?

burnsinternet
17th September 2007, 04:43 PM
I think Arabic is more like Spanish than French.

Either way, things are moving forward.

Drewbert
17th September 2007, 05:32 PM
It always made me laugh when the Libyians sprayed out all the direction signs in case of a US invasion. Can you really imagine GIs trying to figure out Arabic Roadsigns when they have GPS?

All it takes is for one GPS satellite to be spewing out fake data - or a signal from somewhere else doing the same - or a jamming transmitter operating - and GPS is rendered useless (or dangerous even). Taking out the "read the Arabic roadsigns" back-up plan seems quite logical.

touchring
17th September 2007, 05:42 PM

Dot EG or Dot Com?

Sorry, no brainer!

It is going to be hilarious because anyone with an ASCII.ASCII URL is going to be completely screwed.

Do u mean there are no english road signs in libya?

Drewbert
26th September 2007, 07:55 PM

http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/xk1000.htm

alibuba
27th September 2007, 12:47 AM
someone please tell me that all my arabic domains i have are not worthless now because of this or are we all going to have to reregister are names in the idn.idn form.

Fka200
27th September 2007, 01:33 AM
someone please tell me that all my arabic domains i have are not worthless now because of this or are we all going to have to reregister are names in the idn.idn form.

No. They are more valuable than ever :). I hope they go through with IDN.IDN in ccTLD + I wish them the best of luck. It's going to be a hilarious mess.