PDA

View Full Version : ألريميسل

domainerd
18th September 2007, 06:33 PM
Can anyone with skills in Arabic confirm that the following:

ألريميسل
xn--igb2ag0ece8ab

translates to alreemisle (or al reem isle)? Thank you.

mwbseiso
18th September 2007, 08:33 PM
Can anyone with skills in Arabic confirm that the following:

ألريميسل
xn--igb2ag0ece8ab

translates to alreemisle (or al reem isle)? Thank you.

DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY drop. This phonetically reads "alreemeesl" in Arabic, which means absolutely nothing.

domainerd
18th September 2007, 08:55 PM
DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY drop. This phonetically reads "alreemeesl" in Arabic, which means absolutely nothing.

OK, thanks for that info. I deleted those names. What would be the correct version? The one I posted was spit out by a translation page.

burnsinternet
18th September 2007, 09:02 PM
Don't trust online translators 100% with any language. Always check multiple sources. This forum has vast amounts of resources to use. Also, here are some basic ideas:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=460102

1. Pick your market. Find a country or language group that has internet users. Look at the economy. If the country or language has few users and is impoverished, look elsewhere. If the country or language has a fast rate of internet user growth or a huge online population, you have a candidate.

2. Find a domain name. Make sure the translation is correct. Online translation tools can be helpful, but always check with other sources. Humans are the best sources.

3. Check your stats. Does anyone actually search for that word? Are the bids high? If you are trying to sell 'ice to eskimos', you may not have a good fit. Some countries ban and block adult sites (China, etc.). Check trends, bids, traffic estimators, search engines, and google/yahoo images. Ask a trusted friend if you are unsure.

4. Register the domain. Sites like Enom, DynaDot, and DomainSite allow IDN registration. Japanese (.JP) domains can be registered at JP-Domains. Other ccTLD registrars allow IDN registration (.se, .hk, etc).

5. Ask for appraisals. Use this forum and/or other forums to request translation help and appraisals. Include statistics if possible. REGISTER the domain before asking for help. If not, someone will steal it after reading your appraisal thread. DynaDot allows IDN registration and a five-day cancellation period. This is nice, because if you find that your translation is incorrect or just plain stupid, you can get your money credited back.

domainerd
18th September 2007, 09:14 PM
Don't trust online translators 100% with any language. Always check multiple sources. This forum has vast amounts of resources to use. Also, here are some basic ideas:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=460102

OK, thanks for passing that info along. I'll look at some of the resources here.

bwhhisc
18th September 2007, 11:50 PM
OK, thanks for that info. I deleted those names. What would be the correct version? The one I posted was spit out by a translation page.

Google search the forum for Al Reem, or Al Reem Island. There was a thread here about the correct spelling etc.
when the Namepros thread (ascii versions) popped up. IDNF members here own the IDN .com and .net.
I reg'd the booby prize جزيرة-الريم.com :p

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=%D8%AC%D8%B2%D9%8A%D8%B1%D8%A9-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B1%D9%8A%D9%85&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

mwbseiso
19th September 2007, 01:33 AM
We don't have the word "isle" in Arabic. I am guessing you saw that "Al Reem Island" was taken and wanted to take "Al Reem Isle"... Unfortunately, that wouldn't work in Arabic...

domainerd
19th September 2007, 07:20 AM
We don't have the word "isle" in Arabic. I am guessing you saw that "Al Reem Island" was taken and wanted to take "Al Reem Isle"... Unfortunately, that wouldn't work in Arabic...

http://alainpro.ae/recent_projects.htm

Here is one example where Al Reem Isle is used along with Al Reem Island and Reem Island. This company is involved in the project, so I have to believe they have some knowledge of the area. Perhaps "isle" is not the name it will be known by, but there appears to be some precedent for using this name.

bwhhisc
19th September 2007, 10:23 AM
Here is one example where Al Reem Isle is used along with Al Reem Island and Reem Island. This company is involved in the project, so I have to believe they have some knowledge of the area. Perhaps "isle" is not the name it will be known by, but there appears to be some precedent for using this name.

What I think 'mwbseiso' is saying is there is no word for "isle" in Arabic.
The article is written in English so the word is interchanged.

mwbseiso
19th September 2007, 11:31 AM
bwhhisc, that's exactly what I was saying. Thanks for clarifying to the rest! :)

domainerd, Arabic and English are two different languages (hello?)... We all know isle" and "island" are valid and interchangeable words in ENGLISH. I was only discussing that this means nothing in ARABIC.

domainerd
19th September 2007, 04:06 PM
bwhhisc, that's exactly what I was saying. Thanks for clarifying to the rest! :)

domainerd, Arabic and English are two different languages (hello?)... We all know isle" and "island" are valid and interchangeable words in ENGLISH. I was only discussing that this means nothing in ARABIC.

English and arabic are different languages? Really? I didn't know that. Guess I'll have to go back to school for more edumacation.

burnsinternet
19th September 2007, 10:55 PM
Now I understand why my Arabic IDN Boss Hogg dot com and Stonewall Jackson dot net are not getting any traffic! Thanks for clearing up that mystery! :p

mwbseiso
19th September 2007, 11:54 PM
Lol :)

domainerd
20th September 2007, 07:20 PM
OK, let's try this again. Would the following translate to al-reem-island (w/ the hyphens):

xn-----ysd4cin9iegn3bc

أل-ريم-يسلند

Fka200
20th September 2007, 07:26 PM
Check ur PM

mwbseiso
20th September 2007, 08:31 PM
OK, let's try this again. Would the following translate to al-reem-island (w/ the hyphens):

xn-----ysd4cin9iegn3bc

أل-ريم-يسلند

No. Definitely not.

This, phonetically, reads "Al-Reem-Yisland" if an Arabic speaker were to read it (well, this is one of the likely ways that an Arabic speaker would read it.) They would have no idea what this means.

To try and explain further, let's say that the word for "apartment" in Russian is "квартира" (pronounced "kvartira"). You tell me, would it make sense to take the English word "apartment" and write it in cyrillics "апартмент" and say that this is the Russian word for "apartment"? (hint: no, which explains why the domain is still available)

I would drop the name and refer to a better translation service.

PS I would focus on finding inexpensive domains in the secondary market, or at least using a solid translation service if you are fresh-regging. Don't focus on "Al Reem Island", there are many better ideas out there.

domainerd
21st September 2007, 03:47 AM
OK, thanks, again. I've dropped that one, as well.

No. Definitely not.

This, phonetically, reads "Al-Reem-Yisland" if an Arabic speaker were to read it (well, this is one of the likely ways that an Arabic speaker would read it.) They would have no idea what this means.

To try and explain further, let's say that the word for "apartment" in Russian is "квартира" (pronounced "kvartira"). You tell me, would it make sense to take the English word "apartment" and write it in cyrillics "апартмент" and say that this is the Russian word for "apartment"? (hint: no, which explains why the domain is still available)

I would drop the name and refer to a better translation service.

PS I would focus on finding inexpensive domains in the secondary market, or at least using a solid translation service if you are fresh-regging. Don't focus on "Al Reem Island", there are many better ideas out there.

Fka200
21st September 2007, 03:50 AM
Don't focus on "Al Reem Island", there are many better ideas out there.

I also agree. With one word keywords still available (one that I reg'd two weeks ago has already had 20 uniques--a .net) it would be smarter to go for something with a bigger target audience.

mwbseiso
21st September 2007, 04:24 AM
OK, thanks, again. I've dropped that one, as well.
Anytime, my pleasure :)

domainerd
21st September 2007, 08:58 PM
I also agree. With one word keywords still available (one that I reg'd two weeks ago has already had 20 uniques--a .net) it would be smarter to go for something with a bigger target audience.

Yes, it is a bit of speculation on my part. But this is a HUGE project that, when completed, will place a community of nearly 300,000 people where there was essentially nothing. Not a bad gamble, I would say. But I will look into single keywords as I go along, so thank you for that tip.

mulligan
21st September 2007, 09:06 PM
Trust me when I say anything worth registering with regards to that particular project has been taken already. If I was in your position I'd move on and look for another niche.