PDA

View Full Version : Rate cut, time to buy gold?

touchring
18th September 2007, 07:31 PM
Rate cut, probably more to come, so time to buy gold? Any thoughts?

18th September 2007, 07:56 PM
Visit http://CommodityTrading.com for more info :)

xxbossmanxx
18th September 2007, 08:06 PM
platinum

touchring
18th September 2007, 09:16 PM
For some reasons, gold reacts better when the dollar goes down.

By cutting interest rates and giving it into wallstreet, there will be an outflow of investment funds, and the dollar would fall. From what i gather from various analyst reports, an outflow of funds will lead to further credit problems later, and further rounds of cuts, and the cycle repeats. So while we had only been speculating previously, now the fate is really sealed. :o

Drewbert
18th September 2007, 09:24 PM
I guess the instructions were "try to delay the recession until I'm safely back in Texas*".

* Conspiracy theorists, feel free to substitute Dubai.

touchring
18th September 2007, 09:42 PM
I guess the instructions were "try to delay the recession until I'm safely back in Texas*".

I see it differently. It has to be more than just delay a recession to justify such a reckless policy.

Btw, the ultimate beneficiary of this rate cut will be asia:

1. Increased outflow of funds to Asia.
2. Delayed recession means more time for asian economies to adjust to lower imports from the US when recession really comes.

Rubber Duck
19th September 2007, 04:57 AM

Which plane is he on?

touchring
20th September 2007, 09:13 AM
ok, bought my first 60 lots of ETF gold. Any better alternative than ETF gold? I heard the US govt can confiscate ETF gold. :o

mark07
20th September 2007, 10:00 AM
Hey touchring I'm new to commodity trading but interested to know about it. What is ETF gold btw?

Cheers.

touchring
20th September 2007, 10:06 AM
Hey touchring I'm new to commodity trading but interested to know about it. What is ETF gold btw?

Cheers.

I'm also new. ETF is a kind of gold certificate/share. Check GLD:NYSE. The disadvantage is it provides no dividend or interest, but it's fine for me since i can barely get one percent from the savings account.

mulligan
20th September 2007, 12:17 PM
If you guys want to invest in the actual metal I have plenty ... I'm selling it at $735 USD +7% an ounce today. (Price is subject to fluctuations) shipping is at cost and you cover paypal fees.

touchring
20th September 2007, 01:41 PM
What coin is it? You can register GST and get rebate on the 7%.

mulligan
20th September 2007, 02:41 PM
I have some of these:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8481/mapleleafhx9.png

And some of these:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9251/ameaglesev8.jpg

These are stock images and dates vary.

Price has fluctuated and 1 ounce is now $740 +7%
Gold is on the move and like I said on another thread I am fairly confident it will top $1000 an ounce

For those who are interested gold just hit a 28 year high:
http://www.miningweekly.co.za/article.php?a_id=117282

It is up 12.18% on 30 days ago and 26.84% on 12 months ago ~ 2.11% since the market opened this morning

A strong Euro is partially responsible for recent changes

Rubber Duck
20th September 2007, 03:23 PM
It may go as high as $1000 an ounce, but remember this will reflect dollar weakness as well as Gold's Strength. If you are a hard currency investor from Europe or Asia, the outcome may not be so attractive.

Even if you are a US investor, it might be better to get some foreign currency exposure in your investments and invest in something that is going to yield real growth or income. What better than ccTLDs or IDN?

I have some of these:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8481/mapleleafhx9.png

And some of these:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9251/ameaglesev8.jpg

These are stock images and dates vary.

Gold is on the move and like I said on another thread I am fairly confident it will top $1000 an ounce

For those who are interested gold just hit a 28 year high:
http://www.miningweekly.co.za/article.php?a_id=117282

It is up 12.18% on 30 days ago and 26.84% on 12 months ago ~ 2.11% since the market opened this morning

A strong Euro is partially responsible for recent changes

mulligan
20th September 2007, 04:01 PM
Even if you are a US investor, it might be better to get some foreign currency exposure in your investments and invest in something that is going to yield real growth or income. What better than ccTLDs or IDN?

Diversification in all investments is the wisest way forward .. It's good to have your finger in as many pots as possible .. as long as you know the risks and have a reasonable understanding of what could happen to your hard-earned cash if the arse falls out of one or all of your specific markets.

touchring
20th September 2007, 04:21 PM
Diversification in all investments is the wisest way forward .. It's good to have your finger in as many pots as possible .. as long as you know the risks and have a reasonable understanding of what could happen to your hard-earned cash if the arse falls out of one or all of your specific markets.

I see gold as more of a hedge in the event another war breaks out or in the event of a dollar devaluation, which will see gold soar to thousands, not just $1000.

goidn
20th September 2007, 04:30 PM
On Wall Street gold buyer are always perceived as suckers.

The get fvked on the way in & the way out.

mulligan
20th September 2007, 04:30 PM
$1000 USD at what it's worth today ~ slightly less than 500 GBP

touchring
20th September 2007, 04:39 PM

btw, gold isn't the only thing i got in mind to hedge against a downturn.

does anyone know what fund can bet against UK properties?

Goldman Sachs Profit Beats Estimates After Bets Against Mortgages Pay Off

http://bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a4DuhXdTC6fk&refer=home

Drewbert
20th September 2007, 06:10 PM

Who listens to idiots on Wall Street?

ok, bought my first 60 lots of ETF gold. Any better alternative than ETF gold? I heard the US govt can confiscate ETF gold. :o

Perth Mint Gold Certs.

Rubber Duck
20th September 2007, 06:18 PM
btw, gold isn't the only thing i got in mind to hedge against a downturn.

does anyone know what fund can bet against UK properties?

Yeah, UK property market is fucked. Just asked Greenspan!

By the way, isn't he the Dude that is responsible for the mess in the US? Nobody should know better than him, then?

touchring
20th September 2007, 07:15 PM
Yeah, UK property market is fucked. Just asked Greenspan!

By the way, isn't he the Dude that is responsible for the mess in the US? Nobody should know better than him, then?

Funny that Goldman Sachs, affiliated with the Whitehouse, made insane profit betting against the US property and mortgage market. They will make even more the next few quarters.

They probably got the real statistics that others like Bear Stearns didn't, and can make both ways - up and down.

btw, anyone also into Silver?

Latest price is $745, perhaps, you need to create a script that shows the price realtime.

mark07
21st September 2007, 10:25 AM
I'm also new. ETF is a kind of gold certificate/share. Check GLD:NYSE. The disadvantage is it provides no dividend or interest, but it's fine for me since i can barely get one percent from the savings account.

Hey thanks for the info but how do you benefit from investing in it if it doesn't provide any dividend or interest? Would it be beneficial to invest in it for long terms?

Cheers.

touchring
21st September 2007, 05:29 PM
Hey thanks for the info but how do you benefit from investing in it if it doesn't provide any dividend or interest? Would it be beneficial to invest in it for long terms?

Cheers.

You can limit yourself to about 5-10% of your cash reserves - at the moment, only a little more than 5% of my funds are in gold ETF.

btw, i encountered this high yield gas fund while researching on commodities - Penn West Energy Trust

Any thoughts? http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=PWE&t=2y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

mark07
25th September 2007, 09:41 AM
Yeah I would probably try with a small amount to invest initially and look for how it works for me. I think I'll have to gain some good experience before I invest in it full- flegedly to gain positively.

touchring
25th September 2007, 09:49 AM
Yeah I would probably try with a small amount to invest initially and look for how it works for me. I think I'll have to gain some good experience before I invest in it full- flegedly to gain positively.

Gold is now experiencing a correction from the recent run up from $600 plus. If it falls to $700 to $720, you might want to invest a small amount.

Gold reached $800 plus in 1980s, but inflation adjusted, is equivalent to $2500-$3000 today.

mark07
26th September 2007, 07:43 AM
Gold is now experiencing a correction from the recent run up from $600 plus. If it falls to $700 to $720, you might want to invest a small amount.

Gold reached $800 plus in 1980s, but inflation adjusted, is equivalent to $2500-$3000 today.

That's good to know. According to market study when do think it is expected to fall to that amount.

mulligan
26th September 2007, 08:03 AM
One thing you have to be aware of is that in the main, people on this forum are not qualified to give advice with regards to investment ... take what they say with a pinch of salt and certainly do not place your money at risk based on what is said in this or any other thread.

touchring
26th September 2007, 08:37 AM
That's good to know. According to market study when do think it is expected to fall to that amount.

I've been trying to catch gold low, but seems that each time it falls a little, it bounces back again very quickly.

Same thing with oil stocks, i've been trying to buy low the whole year - still waiting...for the "correction". Regreted not buying more when it was below $60.

I'm now 90% cash, waiting for the big crunch to load a little more. :)

Drewbert
26th September 2007, 05:10 PM
>I'm now 90% cash

USD?

Euro?

Swiss Franc?

CAD?

domainguru
26th September 2007, 05:16 PM
One thing you have to be aware of is that in the main, people on this forum are not qualified to give advice with regards to investment ... take what they say with a pinch of salt and certainly do not place your money at risk based on what is said in this or any other thread.

Just to expand on that, *nobody on any forum* is really qualified to give investment advice. Everyone is gambling / guessing to some extent.

touchring
27th September 2007, 08:56 AM
>I'm now 90% cash

USD?

Euro?

Swiss Franc?

CAD?

SGD and RMB. The other 10% in oil stocks and gold. I hope to acquire more of both if there will be another August like crunch. Meanwhile, the bubble in China is insane, the people are being scammed at a rate that makes subprime look like child's play. If the China bubble bursts, it will also hit American and Japanese exports. China will also sell it's US assets and bonds to bail out insolvent banks.

mark07
27th September 2007, 10:29 AM

Yeah right, I can understand what you are sayin and thanks for the concern. Just trying to get some good advice so that I have an idea of how it is being done as I'm not totally relying on it but just knowing how it is to be done.

Cheers.

I've been trying to catch gold low, but seems that each time it falls a little, it bounces back again very quickly.

Same thing with oil stocks, i've been trying to buy low the whole year - still waiting...for the "correction". Regreted not buying more when it was below $60.

I'm now 90% cash, waiting for the big crunch to load a little more. :)

As commodities and stocks are always moving in waves I think its all about the right time when you should be investing in a particular commodity to gain maximum benefits as at times many people regret on a lost opportunity, just like your personal experience where you should have invested for the oil stocks.

I hope you get your right figure soon to invest the 90% cash at the right moment. ATB :)

touchring
27th September 2007, 12:34 PM
As commodities and stocks are always moving in waves I think its all about the right time when you should be investing in a particular commodity to gain maximum benefits as at times many people regret on a lost opportunity, just like your personal experience where you should have invested for the oil stocks

thks, on hindsight, i remembered even seeing forecasts of oil dropping from citibank newsletter and a few bloomberg analysts early this year or late last year!

How accurate, the forecast missed the target by 100%!

Drewbert
27th September 2007, 04:31 PM
One useful thing is just to reveal what other options are out there.

If your sole source of financial information was Fox News, you'd think that the only option was the stock market and that as long as the DOW is going up, the economy is in fine shape.

But in reality...

http://angrybear.blogspot.com/2007/09/ranking-presidents-fiscal.html

touchring
27th September 2007, 05:02 PM
One useful thing is just to reveal what other options are out there.

If your sole source of financial information was Fox News, you'd think that the only option was the stock market and that as long as the DOW is going up, the economy is in fine shape.

But in reality...

http://angrybear.blogspot.com/2007/09/ranking-presidents-fiscal.html

DJ is near the current high, but Asian stocks already broke previous highs. China is turning into the world's biggest ponzi created by the communist leaders, and from the look of it, reaching DJ's 13,000 levels within the next year is not an impossibility - with PE ratio of 500 to 1000 perhaps. Ponzi or not, the momentum from China is creating the "wealth feel" affect all over the world.

But a question - do you guys really believe in the prospectus and financial reports of Chinese companies? Adding an additional one or two zeros to the financial reports is much easier and a million times harder to detect than say trying to pass off poison paint as safe on 30 million toys. And also more lucrative, as it always is when playing with figures.

If there would be any leak of one or two bookmaking scandal involving billon dollar IPOs, the backlash on world financial markets will make the CDOs meltdown look like childs play. When that happens, I won't discount the possibility of a 70% meltdown in the Shanghai index within one or two months.

touchring
1st October 2007, 02:38 PM
Btw, beware of substandard gold! :o

All that glisters may not be gold - http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article2554723.ece

Rubber Duck
1st October 2007, 03:40 PM
Btw, beware of substandard gold! :o

All that glisters may not be gold - http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article2554723.ece

It is difficult to understand how an intrinsically malliable metal can crack at the level of purity claimed.

More duff investments sourced from the US! No wonder you only get to see the certificates in the US rather than actual bullion.

Gold, however, is really as obscelete today as the orginal Chinese sea shells. Its percieved value only really exists in the shrunken minds of those that crave it.

Gold mining does huge environmental damage and should come with a hefty environmental tax.

touchring
16th October 2007, 07:45 AM
If you guys want to invest in the actual metal I have plenty ... I'm selling it at $735 USD +7% an ounce today. (Price is subject to fluctuations) shipping is at cost and you cover paypal fees.

Anyone bought this? Now gold is $765.

rkae
16th October 2007, 08:40 AM
hmm. what do you guys think about e-gold?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-gold

mulligan
16th October 2007, 08:45 AM

No longer for sale at those prices

touchring
26th October 2007, 06:38 PM

Gold, now $783!

If that $ is C$, how good. :p

bwhhisc
26th October 2007, 08:09 PM
Wazzup with you guys....you should be backing up the truck for some more IDNs now that things are beginning to shake out.

Who cares about a 10 or 20% or even 50% potential future return on gold.
That is peanuts IMO with the other opportunities at hand.
Hell, you can probably short some US stocks and do better than that.

I would rather be looking at some 100x returns that you might get on idns.
Given the choice: 100 IDN x reg fee of $ 700....vs. buying 1 ounce of gold?
Not even close in my book.

Rubber Duck
26th October 2007, 09:31 PM
Wazzup with you guys....you should be backing up the truck for some more IDNs now that things are beginning to shake out.

Gold is only strong because the outlook for dollar based investments is poor.

If you actually calculate how much Gold has risen in the last two years in Euros, things are nothing like as impressive.

On the domains, I think try to talk sense into the market here, is like barking at the moon. I think we are just going to have sit tight and wait. Those that have already secured good portfolios can afford to do that. The rest will just experience the splash from the side-walk as the limos drive by.

bwhhisc
26th October 2007, 09:33 PM
Those that have already secured good portfolios can afford to do that.
The rest will just experience the splash from the side-walk as the limos drive by.

ROTFLOL...

Rubber Duck
26th October 2007, 09:43 PM
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/03a03534-83dc-11dc-a0a6-0000779fd2ac.html

touchring
27th October 2007, 01:02 PM

I don't really treat gold as an investment, but rather an alternative to cash that is hedged for inflation. As for IDNs, i already got quite a few in various languages that can make me a small fortune in the future, so i can afford to diversify a little into other forms of investments, and have more fun. :)

Rubber Duck
28th October 2007, 09:07 PM
Mean while dollar is already taking hammering in early trading in Far East.

Seems to be testing the $1.45 level which most economist were predicting for year end. Everything seems to be going into fast forward mode on the currency markets.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/currency/13/12/intraday.stm

thegenius1
28th October 2007, 09:18 PM
Those that have already secured good portfolios can afford to do that. The rest will just experience the splash from the side-walk as the limos drive by.

LOL , yup

"As the party at Delux winds down, 14 Yahoo executives pile into a stretch Hummer with a few of the IDNers, including Alpha, who has an exclusive contract in which Yahoo serves all the ads for his sites. The limo heads 35 miles south on Interstate 95 to Scarlett's Gentlemen's Club. The men kick back in the VIP section, outfitted with plush booths and red velvet curtains.
When the woman in charge of the area comes by and mentions the cost of the booths, the Yahoo crew gets nervous. And in the end, no one wants to submit the $1,000 tab to the expense department back at headquarters. Finally, Alpha pulls out a roll of cash and pays up. Not a big deal for a guy who owns a share of a jet. But considering that Alpha's traffic generated more than 1 percent of Yahoo's $3.6 billion in revenues last year, you'd think one of those guys could have stood up and taken one for the team. "

http://www.a1limobus.com/images/Black_hummer_interior_l.jpg

Rubber Duck
28th October 2007, 09:23 PM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22664521-661,00.html

October 29, 2007 06:53am

THE Australian dollar has opened at its strongest level in 23 years, to be within sight of 92 US cents for the first time since 1984.

IDNCowboy
28th October 2007, 11:09 PM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22664521-661,00.html

October 29, 2007 06:53am

THE Australian dollar has opened at its strongest level in 23 years, to be within sight of 92 US cents for the first time since 1984.
stuff in australia will still be twice as expensive - they love rippin off the aussies ;-)

Rubber Duck
29th October 2007, 06:07 AM
stuff in australia will still be twice as expensive - they love rippin off the aussies ;-)

Well that is just an indication of how financially and economically illiterate Americans really are!

touchring
7th November 2007, 03:33 AM
Gold, now $783!

Now $840!

Gold is shooting, you don't see this happening often. When it happens, this means even the FD and time deposits are not safe! People are buying gold and storing underneath their mattresses! :o

Drewbert
7th November 2007, 05:29 AM
Silver's going strong too. :)

touchring
7th November 2007, 05:30 AM
Silver's going strong too. :)

I bought a few hundred ounces on Monday. Should've bought earlier. Some of the gold bugs don't agree on silver! 2 fingers crossed. :o

touchring
8th January 2008, 04:38 PM
Gold, now $783!

Wow, $880 now! Going for $1000. LOL

touchring
8th January 2008, 04:39 PM
I bought a few hundred ounces on Monday. Should've bought earlier. Some of the gold bugs don't agree on silver! 2 fingers crossed. :o

Hmm, silver didn't do as well. I should have added more gold instead. :o

Rubber Duck
8th January 2008, 05:16 PM
It certainly going up in dollar terms, but clearly the dollar is riding for another fall. How much ahead are you really going to end up in Euros?

touchring
8th January 2008, 05:49 PM
It certainly going up in dollar terms, but clearly the dollar is riding for another fall. How much ahead are you really going to end up in Euros?

Euro will give way once the property bubble also blows up there. One by one the contagion is spreading.

Rubber Duck
8th January 2008, 06:00 PM
Euro will give way once the property bubble also blows up there. One by one the contagion is spreading.

Bubbles can only blow up where there have been bubbles. The management of the US economy and the Euro Zone have been diametric opposites. There may have been a little local exuberance in the South of Spain, but that is not representative. There is no real property bubble in Europe to my knowledge.

touchring
9th January 2008, 03:02 AM
Bubbles can only blow up where there have been bubbles. The management of the US economy and the Euro Zone have been diametric opposites. There may have been a little local exuberance in the South of Spain, but that is not representative. There is no real property bubble in Europe to my knowledge.

A bubble is not a prerequisite for a downturn. People make money from cycles, buy low, sell high, wait for the market to collapse to buy low again, and so on, so forth.

The market has cycles because people want them.

One person's loss is another person's gain.

Rubber Duck
9th January 2008, 05:26 AM
A bubble is not a prerequisite for a downturn. People make money from cycles, buy low, sell high, wait for the market to collapse to buy low again, and so on, so forth.

The market has cycles because people want them.

One person's loss is another person's gain.

Yes, but you stated the "Property Bubble" would bust. Of course Europe will have problems due to the global credit crunch and from reduced exports to the US, but it is not exactly going to send it in to oblivion. There is no comparison between the risks in the US and those in the EU. Hence you are talking rubbish!

Restating there is no significant bubble and there will be no burst. A slow down is likely because the European Central Bank remains tightly focused on inflation, as it always has done. You won't see the printing presses rolling around the clock here, like that have and will continue to do so in the US.

touchring
11th January 2008, 04:59 PM
Wow, $880 now! Going for $1000. LOL

$896, gona break $900 soon. My silver just spurt up also!

touchring
28th February 2008, 07:04 AM
$896, gona break $900 soon. My silver just spurt up also!

Wow! $960.

Silver has finally caught up!

http://www.kitco.com/LFgif/ag0182nyb.gif

mulligan
28th February 2008, 07:27 AM

No longer for sale at those prices ...
Hehe! ... :)

$1000 USD at what it's worth today ~ slightly less than 500 GBP

956.00 USD = 482.838 GBP (Give or take a few dollars)

Well this is one fcuk I am certainly enjoying!

Rubber Duck
28th February 2008, 05:38 PM
Yes, but it only getting longer because your ruler is shrinking.

If you had invested your money in Euro denominated stocks you would have done as well!

Drewbert
28th February 2008, 09:02 PM
Which will come first? $1000 gold or $20 silver?

touchring
29th February 2008, 02:20 AM

$20 silver. I think? Silver shot up by a dollar just the last 2 days.

Silver is still $30 from all-time high. There's still a lot of upside.

Thinking of buying another batch of silver. :p Should i??

"Agriculture is still the best place to be, maybe (also) silver, maybe palladium," he said. (Editing by Theodore d'Afflisio) Jim Rogers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/feedarticle?id=7335579

touchring
3rd March 2008, 03:24 PM

Jim Rogers

Silver shot pass $20. I regreted not buying more in September!!!

http://www.kitco.com/charts/livesilver.html

Rubber Duck
3rd March 2008, 06:24 PM

If you look into the history of Silver you will discover that there was massive market fixing last time around. Do your homework!

http://www.buyandhold.com/bh/en/education/history/2000/hunt_bros.html

touchring
4th March 2008, 03:10 AM
If you look into the history of Silver you will discover that there was massive market fixing last time around. Do your homework!

http://www.buyandhold.com/bh/en/education/history/2000/hunt_bros.html

Yes, silver has a notorious reputation for being very speculative. It can rise very quickly and fall just as quick. With limited supply on the market, it is easily manipulated.

In 1979 the sons of patriarch H.L. Hunt, Nelson Bunker and William Herbert, together with some wealthy Arabs, formed a silver pool. In a short period of time they had amassed more than 200 million ounces of silver, equivalent to half the world's deliverable supply.

Even at $20, 200 million ounces is only $4 billion! Not enough even to renovate old Healthrow. If Wallstreet hedge funds really want to play silver (they are not at it yet ;)), it can rise to $50 in a blink of an eye.

Rubber Duck
4th March 2008, 05:14 AM
Back then they were still using Silver to develop Black and White Photographs.

Different era.

What is clear, however, is that nobody is looking to back American Industry or even support the beleaguered US Consumer.

It is not the Chinese hedging against their own currency here!

touchring
12th March 2008, 04:21 PM
Bought more this week, 2 fingers crossed. :o

btw, there had been rumors running around about gold ETFs. Anyone here knows something? Thks.

touchring
17th March 2008, 03:45 AM

Gold came first. $1023 asian morning trade.

Bought more on Thursday, I'm now 50% into gold and silver.