PDA

View Full Version : 小売.com - Is this "Retail" ???

alexd
8th March 2006, 11:50 AM
Hi again guys and gals,

Just regged ....

小売.com | xn--6qs55e.com

Does this mean the word "Retail" and would it have the same meaning as in English ??

Large numbers of results on both Yahoo and Google ( which also has quite a few Adword advertisers for this term )

Would appreciate any feedback at all.

Thanks as always

Alex

yanni
11th March 2006, 01:34 AM
That's what my dictionary says.

Doesn't look like a very popular term though in Japan.

Any locals care to comment?

rhys
11th March 2006, 04:12 PM
That's what my dictionary says.

Doesn't look like a very popular term though in Japan.

Any locals care to comment?

小売 is a lesser used expression for "retail". Generally I don't think that it refers to large retailers and chains but more for smaller retail sellers and independents. There is an Association for Retail Sellers of Rice for example which uses this word.

alexd
12th March 2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Rhys, can I ask if you think this might have any use at all, even with regards to small independed retailers, instead of large ones ??

Thanks again for the replies.

Alex

P.S. - You got to love IDNs. Trying to work out what word means what is like taking a crash course in learning 10 Languages at once !! I still struggle with English sometimes.

rhys
12th March 2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Rhys, can I ask if you think this might have any use at all, even with regards to small independed retailers, instead of large ones ??

Thanks again for the replies.

Alex

P.S. - You got to love IDNs. Trying to work out what word means what is like taking a crash course in learning 10 Languages at once !! I still struggle with English sometimes.

I wish I could tell you. Below 10,000 ovt, I'm just not sure of anything. I stare at the domains I regged sometimes and try to make out whether its a pile of money or just a lottery ticket.

Well, either way, you are stuck with it for a year, I'd wait and see. It has low OVT but has some things going for it. It's single word, not arcane or archaic kanji, and small Japanese retailers of every variety are very important in Japan. They are even protected by special laws like the Large Retail Store law which put all manner of constraints on stores greater than a certain size. Not that there is a lot of open space to construct huge stores...