PDA

View Full Version : Which Rock does this guy live under?

Rubber Duck
23rd September 2007, 08:29 AM
“IDNs are going to change the face of the Internet when they arrive — it will give people the chance to register domain names with their names in their languages,” Dr Twomey added. “ICANN is about to launch a technical evaluation of the impact IDNs will have, and if all goes well internationalized domain names could be available sometime in 2008.”

http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-20sep07.htm

If anyone knows and is passing that way, perhaps you could spare the time to give it a good hard kick and try to let in a little sunlight. :rolleyes:

Fka200
23rd September 2007, 08:34 AM
lmfao. My inbox has been off the hook from people asking me "WTF is that website and why cant I buy one like it at GoDaddy?"

This JUST started to happen last week or so. A lot of newcommers and people finally understanding what us moonies have been talking about for a while now. It's still OK to find some decent regs, but all the prime keyword stuff is gone. Last I got lucky with is an Arabic IDN with 5k OVT back in May--com and net.

Rubber Duck
23rd September 2007, 08:39 AM
Yes, the Godaddy Syndrome! It is related to the ASCII Paralysis.

Check this out. These tossers don't even have Baidu or Yandex on their radar screens!

http://www.conceptualist.com/?p=476

lmfao. My inbox has been off the hook from people asking me "WTF is that website and why cant I buy one like it at GoDaddy?"

This JUST started to happen last week or so. A lot of newcommers and people finally understanding what us moonies have been talking about for a while now. It's still OK to find some decent regs, but all the prime keyword stuff is gone. Last I got lucky with is an Arabic IDN with 5k OVT back in May--com and net.

Wot
23rd September 2007, 09:33 AM
“IDNs are going to change the face of the Internet when they arrive — it will give people the chance to register domain names with their names in their languages,” Dr Twomey added. “ICANN is about to launch a technical evaluation of the impact IDNs will have, and if all goes well internationalized domain names could be available sometime in 2008.”

Wow, that could be really good, where can I get some, can we prereg ? will they available in .mobi ? :p

L@@K
23rd September 2007, 10:28 AM
Keep cool with them, they are your buyers ;)

bwhhisc
23rd September 2007, 10:30 AM
Yes, the Godaddy Syndrome! It is related to the ASCII Paralysis. Check this out. These tossers don't even have Baidu or Yandex on their radar screens!
http://www.conceptualist.com/?p=476

Maybe a little note in their comments section is worthy.

Rubber Duck
23rd September 2007, 11:21 AM

I think that is another common misconception.

Anyway, they don't buy you domains because they like your face.

L@@K
23rd September 2007, 11:37 AM
What is amazing is when some come at Idn, I come at ASCII with some megakey yet !
Yesterday for example: rocknroll.tv

Others go on to discuss on forums...

markits
23rd September 2007, 11:37 AM
Anyway, they don't buy you domains because they like your face.
Very well said,
you lucky bunch!

Rubber Duck
23rd September 2007, 11:47 AM
Very well said,
you lucky bunch!

Simple market forces.

Sellers are those whose short-term needs outweigh their long-term aspirations.

Buyers are those whose desire the long-term benefits and have the short-term liquidity to do something about it.

Those that sit on the fence either have both of these in balance or just simply lack vision.

grubstaker
23rd September 2007, 09:45 PM
Tru-dat-yo

idnowner
24th September 2007, 12:36 AM
...and if all goes well internationalized domain names could be available sometime in 2008.”

That could be the first week in January.
Or perhaps the last week in December.
That's very helpful information there, Dr. Twomey.

IDNCowboy
24th September 2007, 12:39 AM
That could be the first week in January.
Or perhaps the last week in December.
That's very helpful information there, Dr. Twomey.
They've been available for years tho heh

idnowner
24th September 2007, 12:41 AM
They've been available for years tho heh

Not the IDN.IDN

Drewbert
24th September 2007, 12:46 AM
Yes exactly.

He MAY have been misquoted by the media. That's pretty common, especially when it come to technical topics.

blastfromthepast
24th September 2007, 12:58 AM
That is a quote from an ICANN news release. That is no missquote if ICANN itself is releasing it.

Guys. IDNs don't exist. They will be released some time in 2008. Dr Twomey says so himself.

bwhhisc
24th September 2007, 01:01 AM
That is a quote from an ICANN news release. That is no missquote if ICANN itself is releasing it. Guys. IDNs don't exist. They will be released some time in 2008. Dr Twomey says so himself.

Well Twomey approved "deployment" of IDNs to the Taiwan Network Information Center (TWNIC) in this letter in 2003!

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/twomey-to-chen-20jun03.htm

blastfromthepast
24th September 2007, 01:02 AM
There are media contacts listed at the bottom of the release. They need to be contacted for clarification. ICANN's global stakeholders demand an answer to this scandalous assertion.

Drewbert
24th September 2007, 04:50 AM
Have a chat to the guy at ICANN that used to wrote for theregister.co.uk