PDA

View Full Version : It Starts

Rubber Duck
4th October 2007, 06:53 PM
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/10/04/business/NA-TEC-US-Internet-Names.php

US authorities get the blame.

What the fuck is there for them to think about?

IE6 Fiasco is not mentioned. Microsoft get away scot free!

The Inquirer reckons that only Opera can support Punycode!

Why can't people just write down what they're f*cking told!

burnsinternet
4th October 2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks, RD. I assumed everyone already knew this. I am glad you posted that link.

Good Stuff:

1. We are on the map. We used to scour the web for tidbits of information. IDNs are now getting more and more press. No matter what, this will generate more press.

2. Test results. If the tests fail, we have no worries. We have the only IDNs out there. We will just have to overcome the bad press, but ICANN will remind everyone that IDNs are available, anyway, as idn.ascii domains. If the tests succeed, we get more press. The rest is out of our control. If we have to start over with idn.idn (unlikely, but possible), we are already in a good position with our idn.ascii and our knowledge. And we still have our own IDNs.

3. Us. We may bicker sometimes, but we have 'us' and that is something no one can take away. We will help each other and look out for each other. We have our self-interests, but we have each other, too.

We are entering another new phase soon. IE7 was released, now the idn.idn tests will occur. We are still in this together. I wouldn't have it any other way.

zenmarketing
5th October 2007, 03:28 AM
Burns,

Great senitments.

I feel the same way.

Joe

blastfromthepast
5th October 2007, 03:32 AM
Among major browsers, only the one from Opera Software ASA fully implements Punycode, Dam said.

Au contraire! The only browser the implements punycode is Firefox. It consistently displays punycode on all IDN.com domains.

Opera on the other hand, displays real Unicode.