PDA

View Full Version : Frank Says : IDN Domainers everywhere are being redeemed

thegenius1
5th October 2007, 01:19 AM
"IDN Domainers everywhere are being redeemed by the coming of URL's which resolve in different character sets. This is more of those early rumblings

http://frankschilling.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/10/punnycode-comme.html

rhys
5th October 2007, 02:40 AM
Is it just me that wants to yawn.

touchring
5th October 2007, 04:17 AM
A 24-hour hot line is being established to allow ICANN to quickly suspend the test if any problems might disrupt other domains such as ".com" and ".uk."

Did this come from twomey?

Rubber Duck
5th October 2007, 05:31 AM
Tina

It strikes me that ICANN have actually been trying to face down the US Commerce Dept who have clearly been dragging their heals making the decision on this. They are probably still sat there trying to figure out what Punycode means. It seems to me that ICANN probably with Chinese support are trying to apply some real heat.

It is clearly time that US was relieved of its responsibilities relating to the Internet, as they are clearly incapable of discharging them properly!

Drewbert
5th October 2007, 07:00 AM
Did this come from twomey?

It's so fucking stupid.

They added .mobi without it causing any problems.

Why would any other character string be any different? Just because it starts with xn and has hyphens in it?

If there ARE going to be any problems it's giong to be at the client level where the punycode conversion goes on, not in the fucking DNS!

Rubber Duck
5th October 2007, 07:18 AM
Absolutely correct, but they are really just killing time whilst they get the policy issues resolved.

By the time they managed to do that IDN.com will be a defacto standard since confidence in ccTLDs has now been pretty much undermined.

I was please, however, to see they are promoting Opera.

It's so fucking stupid.

Why would any other character string be any different? Just because it starts with xn and has hyphens in it?

If there ARE going to be any problems it's giong to be at the client level where the punycode conversion goes on, not in the fucking DNS!

touchring
5th October 2007, 07:21 AM
It's so fucking stupid.

Actually, for IDNs now, any publicity is good publicity. They can continue behaving like clowns while we wait for IE7 take up.

Rubber Duck
5th October 2007, 07:28 AM
Hopefully a lot of people will take the ICANN lead and download Opera.

This information is already being syndicated around ther Far East. I have seen it in the Malaysia Star.

If that happens MS is between a rock and hard place.

jacksonm
5th October 2007, 07:50 AM
Hopefully a lot of people will take the ICANN lead and download Opera.

This information is already being syndicated around ther Far East. I have seen it in the Malaysia Star.

If that happens MS is between a rock and hard place.

I would love nothing more than to see MS go down down down. Actually, I want to see Steve Ballmer conceding defeat and applying for a job at Google.

blackops
5th October 2007, 08:28 AM
IDN.com will be a defacto standard since confidence in ccTLDs has now been pretty much undermined.

How so?

Rubber Duck
5th October 2007, 10:47 AM
How so?

Well most people are not over comfortable with the idea that their registrations might be revoked, arbitarily or otherwise.

bwhhisc
5th October 2007, 11:23 AM
It strikes me that ICANN have actually been trying to face down the US Commerce Dept who have clearly been dragging their heals making the decision on this. They are probably still sat there trying to figure out what Punycode means. It seems to me that ICANN probably with Chinese support are trying to apply some real heat.

NSA training and cyphers must be nearing completion :p

idnowner
5th October 2007, 06:59 PM
Edited / deleted.