View Full Version : Worldwide Internet Connection Density Map

jacksonm
6th October 2007, 09:14 PM
This data is about 8 months old. China still looks pretty dark:

http://www.flapdoodle.org/chrish/worlddotblack.jpg

Rubber Duck
6th October 2007, 09:20 PM
Probably because it is wrong.

The US would look pretty dark if it was done a cumulative band width basis.

jacksonm
6th October 2007, 09:22 PM
This map reflects density of connections, not usage.

Rubber Duck
6th October 2007, 09:24 PM
You might expect that to correlate with the numbers of IP Addresses allocated.

It doesn't.

xxbossmanxx
6th October 2007, 09:37 PM
neat map

Rubber Duck
6th October 2007, 09:43 PM
It is neat if it is meaningful. Otherwise it is just an array of dots.

Jay used to have a tool that told you this stuff. I though China was third behind the UK, but ahead of Germany and Japan.

I cannot find that but I have found this, which seems to rank the UK lower and Japan higher than I remember:

http://crazycanuck.org/2007/08/22/ip-registry-statistics-august-2007/

touchring
7th October 2007, 08:40 AM
The US map looks incredible, it is as though the food growing in the farms also use the Internet! So, no plains, no forest?\

From my travelings in the US, i remembered that the US has lots of open space and grass land with no buildings, let alone internet connection.

jacksonm
7th October 2007, 08:50 AM
You might expect that to correlate with the numbers of IP Addresses allocated.

It doesn't.

As a connection density map, it indicates the density of routers within cities. This map was made from surveying city 'edge' data - the number of advertised routers a city has. I'd say that it's fairly accurate and fairly representative, as of the time the data was pulled 8 months ago.

IP Address allocation is not a meaningful metric in any sense, as most internet users don't receive public addresses from their ISPs, however the US does have the lion's share of the public space. This is, however, one of the reasons why China and Japan are more interested in IPv6.

The conclusion I draw from this map is that China's internet infrastructure will grow like crazy within the next 8-10 years. All the top telecom industry executives predict exactly the same thing. They talk about an explosion in the usage and need for bandwidth, especially in China and India. I predict that bandwidth will start to be traded on world commodity markets within 5 years - the thing which will be sold is the re-routing of capacity from the 'edge' routers in cities, sold to those who pay the highest.

Rubber Duck
7th October 2007, 09:13 AM
The US map looks incredible, it is as though the food growing in the farms also use the Internet! So, no plains, no forest?\

From my travelings in the US, i remembered that the US has lots of open space and grass land with no buildings, let alone internet connection.

I think they must be counting all those Telegraph Offices you see on the old Hollywood films.

Charrua
7th October 2007, 09:46 AM
http://www.internetworldstats.com/

Charrua.

bwhhisc
7th October 2007, 10:04 AM
http://www.internetworldstats.com/
Charrua.
From Above:
NORTH AMERICA - 5 Countries and Regions
334,538,018 estimated population for Northern America in 2007.
232,655,287 Internet users as of June/07 and 69.7% penetration rate.

MEXICO
MX - 106,457,446 population -
22,700,000 Internet users as of May/07, 21.3% penetration, per AMIPCI.
3,728,150 Internet broadband connections as of Sept./07, per ITU.

SOUTH AMERICA - 14 Countries and Regions
370,225,923 population estimate for South America in 2007
82,969,700 Internet users as of Sept/07, 22.4 % Penetration Rate
11,045,589 Broadband Internet Connections as of Sept/07, 3.0 % Penetration

ASIA - 35 Countries and Regions
3,712,527,624 estimated population for Asia in 2007
459,476,825 Internet users and 12.4% penetration rate as of Sept. 30, 2007
100,144,908 broadband Internet connections in Asia as of Sept. 30, 2007

ASIA has more internet users online TODAY than North America, Canada, Mexico, and all of South America combined.
And at Asia's current penetration rate of 12% vs. approx 40% combined for NA/SA/Mexico
Asia will probably have double the internet users as NA/SA/Mexico over the next 5- 10 years.

Rubber Duck
7th October 2007, 10:35 AM
Yes, and one of the reasons that economic growth in Asia is huge and will continue to be huge is that it isn't really growth at all in many instances.

What is actually happening in many is that a lot of activity in the unofficial economy is now having to be accounted properly so it is showing up in the statics. Just because the previous economy had no exchangeable dollar value, it doesn't mean to say it wasn't there. This portion of the growth is of course totally non-inflationary because it is derived purely from an accounting exercise.

There is of course huge real growth as well. This is because many countries have had no reasonable access to investment capital due to communism and an abusive relationship with developed countries not only in this respect but also over access to markets. The shift in the balance of economic power means that the West and the US in particular is no longer able to impose unfair and disadvantageous trade terms on developing nations.