PDA

View Full Version : So they all speak English do they?

Rubber Duck
7th October 2007, 09:51 AM
The Indian Myth is being exploded.

If Indians all speak English why am I witnessing 10-20% growth in the number on internet pages?

Oh, did I forget to mention that is WEEKLY growth.

Top generics are now breaking through that 1 Million barrier in terms of Google Search Results.

Don't believe me? try these:

होटल hotel restaurant HIndi
समाचार news HIndi

ಭಾರತ India Kannada
ಮಾಹಿತಿ Information Kannada
மற்றும் Financial Tamil
செய்திகள் News Tamil
கவிதை Poetry Tamil
இசை Music Tamil
వ్యాపారం Business Telugu

So if nobody is ever going to use these languages on the Internet, why are so many of them wasting resources creating all these web pages?

Charrua
7th October 2007, 10:04 AM
http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm

I think english look like the most used in the web, before IDNs.

IDNs are like a language independence from english in the web.

Charrua.

Rubber Duck
7th October 2007, 10:09 AM
http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm

I think english look like the most used in the web, before IDNs.

Charrua.

Don't trust the statistics of a web site that states there are two billion English speakers. All they have done is summated the population stats for what they consider English speaking countries. They have simply lumped on a Billion for India.

No wonder Bush has such problems with foreign policy issues. He has more access to bum information than any one else on the planet.

drbiohealth
7th October 2007, 12:47 PM
According to Tata Indicom, approx. 66 per cent of all Indians speak Hindi, while less than five per cent comprehend English. Keeping this in mind, Tata Teleservices is accepting Hindi more and more, in order to drive adoption of data services among the non-English speaking population.

http://www.techshout.com/mobile-phones/2007/06/tata-teleservices-announces-tata-zone-in-hindi/

Don't trust the statistics of a web site that states there are two billion English speakers. All they have done is summated the population stats for what they consider English speaking countries. They have simply lumped on a Billion for India.

No wonder Bush has such problems with foreign policy issues. He has more access to bum information than any one else on the planet.

Rubber Duck
7th October 2007, 01:13 PM
Things are starting to follow the same pattern as Arabic. When we picked up most of our Arabic names there was really no Arabic Script market. Now it is there in spades with web pages into the hundreds of millions. India has taken longer but the pay back for us is going to be huge. By comparison our Chinese and Japanese portfolios are just skips full of junk!

Rubber Duck
8th October 2007, 08:02 PM
Well they all seem to have left another 20% since yesterday.

It seems like Google has not been been bothering to index properly but things are now taking off.

burnsinternet
8th October 2007, 08:38 PM
Things are starting to follow the same pattern as Arabic. When we picked up most of our Arabic names there was really no Arabic Script market. Now it is there in spades with web pages into the hundreds of millions. India has taken longer but the pay back for us is going to be huge. By comparison our Chinese and Japanese portfolios are just skips full of junk!

Care to offload that junk, RD? I hate to see you encumbered by such trash.

zenmarketing
8th October 2007, 08:51 PM
Yes, RD, I'll gladly perform some junk removal services on your Chinese portfolio. I won't even charge for it!

Rubber Duck
8th October 2007, 09:20 PM
We will attempt to test the market as interest develops from those quarters.

JColson
9th October 2007, 08:15 AM
Dave,

Looks like we need to get the duster out and clear all that fluff that's hanging around. Plenty of helpers by the look of it!