PDA

View Full Version : NameDrive improvement suggestion

Drewbert
9th March 2006, 06:40 AM
Currently, when you look at your list of domains in your namedrive control panel they show the domain in it's native script.

This is fine and dandy for those who know those languages well enough, but for those of us only used to latin names, it makes it very hard to track what name is what.

I know I have some arabic domains I've forgotten to load into namedrive, but do you think I can find which ones are missing looking at the list in the control panel.

I think when listing an IDN name they should put the punycode in brackets after it, and maybe have an option to sort by punycode order instead of script order.

touchring
9th March 2006, 06:53 AM
Currently, when you look at your list of domains in your namedrive control panel they show the domain in it's native script.

This is fine and dandy for those who know those languages well enough, but for those of us only used to latin names, it makes it very hard to track what name is what.

I know I have some arabic domains I've forgotten to load into namedrive, but do you think I can find which ones are missing looking at the list in the control panel.

I think when listing an IDN name they should put the punycode in brackets after it, and maybe have an option to sort by punycode order instead of script order.

What i do is list all my domains in excel, unicode/punycode/translation, after that enter into namedrive. This way, you can track better.

Drewbert
9th March 2006, 07:18 AM
Yeah. I've got them all in an SQL database.

But the oder that namedrive lists them in doesn't appear to be script order or punycode order. Possibly it's the order they were entered?

The only way I can look at an arabic word and try and find it in a list is by going "OK, it's got a quiggly thing there and a dash below there and a line there - let's go see if I can see that".

The only Arabia name I have that I can easily recognise is شرموطة because it looks a bit like "I love you".

Doesn't mean it though, maybe "love you long time" or something :)

touchring
9th March 2006, 07:38 AM
Yeah. I've got them all in an SQL database.

But the oder that namedrive lists them in doesn't appear to be script order or punycode order. Possibly it's the order they were entered?

The only way I can look at an arabic word and try and find it in a list is by going "OK, it's got a quiggly thing there and a dash below there and a line there - let's go see if I can see that".

The only Arabia name I have that I can easily recognise is شرموطة because it looks a bit like "I love you".

Doesn't mean it though, maybe "love you long time" or something :)

In arabic, you have to read from right to left. :)

It's not that easily, especially when ة looks like an "a".

gari
9th March 2006, 04:27 PM
Hi Drewbert,

What i do with my idn's so i know what names are what is, in the keyword section put the english meaning first and then what ever keywords you are going to use after. Hope this helps.

Regards

Gari

Drewbert
9th March 2006, 05:04 PM
Ah. Interesting idea. I put the script keyword into that.

We really need a definitive answer from Namedrive regarding what effect that will have on the page presented to native langauge surfers.

The other problem with that for me is that a lot of my arabic domains have ? in my translation column. :)