PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your relatives names address to register domains?

idnceo
9th March 2006, 07:19 AM
Note: Im sorry i posted this one with a "/ " in the title, my mistake!

I was wondering if everyone likes to use his real name on whois registration?

i tend to ask permission to relatives or friends to register using their names and addresses. I dont know if im paranoid about hijacking, etc. I also dislike people discovering many IDNs I own in my portfolio.

About privacy, I like to keep my domains on "public whois" for several reasons u can guess. So if you see things like Naoko X from Osaka, Naoshi X from New York , Robert X from Tokyo, Keiko from Saga, etc, etc. maybe all of them are mine. :rolleyes: [ That was an advice i received from a big budget guy to avoid people knowing how big or which good domains are in his portfolio.

anyway it is everyone using his real name on whois registration or using privacy? i like offers and to put ON SALE on my address. I also should add that i dont like parking. i dont see the point to keep a big share of revenue for something i can do myself.

blastfromthepast
9th March 2006, 09:24 AM
The right thing to do would probably be to set up a Partnership, LLC or Corporation to deal with the domains.

Many people do this when dealing with real estate so their names don't show up on the Registry of Deeds database.

You could also just get a DBA certificate if you wanted to hide your name, that is another way.

bwhhisc
9th March 2006, 10:25 AM
I just put my name on them, that way if someone is interested they can contact us to purchase some. I have had enquiries from China, Japan and US about our domains and this made it straight and easy. One was by telephone, others by email. if contact information wasn't there, this couldn't happen. I also have a few adult themed names with hidden whois.

Other forum members have suggested having multiple accounts for security at your registrar, that way if one account gets hacked, they can't do too much damage to your overall portfolio.

idnceo
9th March 2006, 01:00 PM
I just put my name on them, that way if someone is interested they can contact us to purchase some. I have had enquiries from China, Japan and US about our domains and this made it straight and easy. One was by telephone, others by email. if contact information wasn't there, this couldn't happen. I also have a few adult themed names with hidden whois..

Thanks for the feedback.

The idea of my name in all domains is kind of scary, i better have my cousins, parents, etc. For me domains are becoming exactly like real estate, if u have many properties, you put one under the name of your parents, another property under the name of a brother, etc. In case of any "event", u dont lose or have to fight for everything.

I also keep a list with domains that i follow, and on it I keep the name of the owner, so i can tell if the owner is a famous domainer, he will renew it and i can also tell how much money is interesting for X guy; but if it says X from super rural X country, thats another story, as i can give them an smaller offer for their domains if they let them go on the redemption time. But yeah the point is i got a huge list and on it obviously shows up many common "faces" and several of the domains they own that i like to get if the price is okay. Anyway I also dont want to be a common name in nobody's "follow-up domains" lists. :cool:

blastfromthepast
9th March 2006, 03:05 PM
In some countries, you live in fear that the ① mob ② the government ③ a combination of ① and ② will come after you, so you register everything in your relatives, neighbors, and dogs' name.

In other countries, you have a decent legal system, an easy way to set up Limited Liability Corporations, Partnerships, and so on, and you don't have to do such things.

IDNCowboy
9th March 2006, 03:53 PM
I put my company name and I use a P.O. Box ;-)

idnceo
9th March 2006, 03:56 PM
In some countries, you live in fear that the ① mob ② the government ③ a combination of ① and ② will come after you, so you register everything in your relatives, neighbors, and dogs' name.

In other countries, you have a decent legal system, an easy way to set up Limited Liability Corporations, Partnerships, and so on, and you don't have to do such things.

yeah but the point is that you know u can pay X amount to X guys and X will get you the password of any free email account? Illegal yeah but anyway possible, that is my worry, some people like hijacking and some registrars security is a joke. I even read one TOS of a famous registrar and it says that if i lose once my password they will give it to me via email or phone, second time i "forgot" it -read being "hijacked", it is my fault! they call it "negligence" :eek:

About registering a small company/office or enter in partnership to keep the domains safer, sure im thinking on doing that. What i wonder if what u call other "countries" who have decent legal system, i dont know any without loopholes or workarounds :rolleyes: