PDA

View Full Version : Trademark domains

mulligan
9th October 2007, 05:46 AM
So it's Ok now to sell TM's?

There are blatant TM's for sale here with no action being taken by the moderators (One thread has a moderator bidding in it)

Just take a look at DNF or Namepros to see the ramifications of TM's being offered for sale ... People informing the TM holders of their own violition, endless threads with members bitching at each other .. Big corporations sending their lawyers in to register on the forums .. etc etc..

Drewbert
9th October 2007, 05:57 AM
Allowing clear TM's to be auctioned off or sold here is just asking for the wrong kind of attention.

Olney
9th October 2007, 06:12 AM
We are aware of the thread & the moderator has sent a PM to the seller & I was cc'd on it.
Thought I'd give the seller a bit of time to edit his post instead of just editing myself.
Lots of things are dealt with by PM.

jacksonm
9th October 2007, 06:49 AM
It's not just one thread.

95% of new members will start a thread with TM domains for sale. Some of the existing members will see that nothing is done, then they decide to list their own TM domains for sale. Some members will continue to list TM domains for sale repeatedly, even after their threads have been put into the dumpster a few times.

The situation clearly requires more attention and more policing than it currently receives. Perhaps it will require the site admin to receive a letter from a large law firm before the seriousness of the situation is understood.

mulligan
9th October 2007, 06:50 AM
There should be zero tolorence for them and they should be removed as soon as they are seen, without waiting to see if the seller will comply with a polite request. That thread was open with TM's for almost 48 hours, the seller was on this forum several times and ignored the request to take them down?

Threads here are being sent by RSS feed to other sites and so are available to be seen by anyone who want's to look for their TM's, Is 48 hours long enough to be cached in the search engines?

jacksonm
9th October 2007, 06:54 AM
Is 48 hours long enough to be cached in the search engines?

Popular sites like this one are indexed daily.

Olney
9th October 2007, 07:02 AM
I understand your concern & we are actively trying to keep TMs off the site.
& thank you for those that PM us about various posts it works best.

jacksonm
9th October 2007, 07:07 AM
I understand your concern & we are actively trying to keep TMs off the site.
& thank you for those that PM us about various posts it works best.

Do all moderators receive the mail from the "report this post" icon? That's the easiest way to report these posts.

goidn
9th October 2007, 12:46 PM
Slow down fellas.

The European Union has shown that Apple doesn't have EU TM on gMail, & many other stuff.

What you may perceive as a TM may not be a TM after all.

You don't have to be holier than thou God.

It turns out that TM is NOT automatic. The company has to renew it every year for every country.

Years ago we started operating under the name Logos. Some big company sued us for the name, TM + other stuff. Guess what, their MD registration lapsed and the court awarded us $100,000 + legal fees.

Let this be a lesson to all ya defenders of the faith.

sunsei21
9th October 2007, 03:33 PM
Slow down fellas.

The European Union has shown that Apple doesn't have EU TM on gMail, & many other stuff.

What you may perceive as a TM may not be a TM after all.

You don't have to be holier than thou God.

It turns out that TM is NOT automatic. The company has to renew it every year for every country.

Years ago we started operating under the name Logos. Some big company sued us for the name, TM + other stuff. Guess what, their MD registration lapsed and the court awarded us $100,000 + legal fees.

Let this be a lesson to all ya defenders of the faith.

true but i have been in discussion on other forums and some read about some trademark law etc but all in all its usuallly agreed to that its bad form if nothing else to register and try to trade off someone elses name or mark whether they have a right to it in a paticular country or not jmo :c

goidn
9th October 2007, 03:37 PM
A lot of US & European TMs are NOT registered in Asia.
They are fair game.

mulligan
9th October 2007, 03:45 PM
They are fair game.
Well with your 'experience' then you will be aware that it doesn't have to be registered and as such is not 'fair game'

Says a lot about your attitude

sunsei21
9th October 2007, 05:21 PM
They are fair game.

you do know there ate actual generics out there to buy too i own a few i know they are there :)

goidn
9th October 2007, 06:05 PM
TM is NOT my game, but
neither you're a lawyer.

mwbseiso
9th October 2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I own a couple of TMs but as a rule of thumb I try to stick away from them. Microsoft once approached me about MSNBCNN.com which I still have. They aregued that it is "confusingly similar" to MSNBC.com I politely told them that I will refuse to surrender the domain name and after a lot of threatening it ended at that.

Rubber Duck
9th October 2007, 07:17 PM
Ah, what the hell. A few high profile WIPOs will turn up the temperature a bit.

We don't intentionally invest in TM and if anyone can convince me they have prior rights over our domains, then I would push it rather than subject myself to the aggravation.

sunsei21
9th October 2007, 07:51 PM
Ah, what the hell. A few high profile WIPOs will turn up the temperature a bit.

We don't intentionally invest in TM and if anyone can convince me they have prior rights over our domains, then I would push it rather than subject myself to the aggravation.

ya i agree publicity is publicity to each his own and in case that "you are not a lawyer" comment was to me i was just stating my opinion on the matter.

mulligan
10th October 2007, 04:15 AM
TM is NOT my game, but
neither you're a lawyer.
Indeed .. but you don't have to be a doctor to know when someone is dead .. the smell is usually a reliable indicator

jacksonm
10th October 2007, 07:01 AM
They are fair game.

It gives birth to the very bad attitude that normal folks have against domainers, grouping us all as cybersquatters. The more cybersquatting which goes on, the more big business will try to illegitimize domaining. Is that what you want? Sounds pretty fucking stupid to me.

goidn
10th October 2007, 11:45 AM
TM is NOT my game