View Full Version : question

hangman21
10th October 2007, 09:20 AM
question about russian IDN.net

are they worth anything???

mwbseiso
10th October 2007, 01:49 PM
hangman21,

Question about life --- does it mean anything? :)

Ok, I'm kidding. But seriously, of course they're worth something. It depends on the word, of course. In some cases a .net is more desireable than a .com in Russian IDNs. Why? It's a way that the ".net" is used as a play of words. In Russian, the word "no" or "there isn't" or "there aren't" is "net".

So, like, "pisem.net" means "there is no e-mail". If you look up this domain (ASCII) you'll see there's a popular email site there.

Cheers.

M

tee1
10th October 2007, 01:56 PM
question about russian IDN.net

are they worth anything???

Hangman21 see other threads currently being discussed. Also, I think we discussed this several times in the past, check old threads.

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/13729-the-internet-goes-polyglot.html

Yep, if Tina's remark "If the technology is in place...then somebody could apply for an IDN gTLD in that process next year" is not a direct invitation for Verisign to translate their .coms and .nets into different languages, I don't know what is.

IMO depends on how .net is translated in Russian, currently its my understanding that ".net" translates to .no in Russian. You would think that verisign would be smart enough to avoid this when they apply for the gTLD, if not then mwbseiso is pretty much right on.

tee1