PDA

View Full Version : The internet goes polyglot

Rubber Duck
10th October 2007, 11:10 AM
http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=3CC09BD4-BB24-40BD-ADB1-8B076080D106

Some sensible comments coming out at last!

"For some time it has been possible to register IDNs at the second level, such as a Chinese string followed by an ASCII ".com" or ".net", but yesterday was the first time an non-Roman string could be found after the dot.

The DNS infrastructure itself is largely unchanged, as the IDN standard is implemented at the endpoint. Client software such as Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 2 translates the local script into a gibberish ASCII string that starts with "xn--" to denote an IDN, before passing it to the nearest DNS server.

According to Dam, developers from Microsoft, Mozilla and Opera have already experimented with the wiki site to test their own browsers' compatibility. Dam said Mozilla is developing an update for Firefox to become fully compatible with next week's experiment.

She said that it's possible that live production IDN TLDs, ones that users will be able to register their own names and brands under, could be applied for in the next round of new TLD applications, which is currently planned for mid-2008.

"If the technology is in place and testing shows the thing is working well, then somebody could apply for an IDN gTLD in that process next year," she said."

markits
10th October 2007, 12:12 PM
Quote: "If the technology is in place and testing shows the thing is working well, then somebody could apply for an IDN gTLD in that process next year," she said.

This seems that there will be dname mapping. Otherwise there won't be enough time for new gtlds to be created and approved (between now and mid-2008).

thefabfive
10th October 2007, 12:22 PM
Quote: "If the technology is in place and testing shows the thing is working well, then somebody could apply for an IDN gTLD in that process next year," she said.

This seems that there will be dname mapping. Otherwise there won't be enough time for new gtlds to be created and approved (between now and mid-2008).
Yes, and the comment that "confusingly similar IDN gTLDs (to ASCII gTLDs)" would not be allowed means that Verisign would be all over anyone applying for a .com or .net variant.

I'm guessing Verisign is preparing their applications as we speak.

domainguru
10th October 2007, 12:32 PM
Doesn't necessarily mean that DNAME will happen though. ICANN could simply refuse to accept apps that are "confusingly similar IDN gTLDs (to ASCII gTLDs)". Then we would just be left with what we have at the moment i.e. ASCII gTLDs with IDN SLDs.

Explorer
10th October 2007, 12:49 PM
Yep, if Tina's remark "If the technology is in place...then somebody could apply for an IDN gTLD in that process next year" is not a direct invitation for Verisign to translate their .coms and .nets into different languages, I don't know what is.

IDNCowboy
10th October 2007, 01:43 PM
Yep, if Tina's remark "If the technology is in place...then somebody could apply for an IDN gTLD in that process next year" is not a direct invitation for Verisign to translate their .coms and .nets into different languages, I don't know what is.
notice it's iDN gTLD and not idn ascii

mulligan
10th October 2007, 02:02 PM
Who's to say Verisign will be given control?

This is a whole other ball game...

My feeling is that we will see a new player or players.

Explorer
10th October 2007, 02:05 PM
Who's to say Verisign will be given control?

This is a whole other ball game...

Who is going to control .ком if not Verisign?

Rubber Duck
10th October 2007, 02:21 PM
Discussion is all over the place as usual.

Implementation of IDN gTLDs is not contingent on DNAME, unless they are looking to do very large numbers. Aliasing within the DNS Root without using DNAME is quite feasible for the initial phase of implementation.

The confusingly similar barrier is a huge barrier for other operators to jump if they want .KOM or anything as potentially confusing. They will also have a whole load of other barriers to jump, such as proving financial robustness, technical competence etc. etc. etc. These criteria tests frankly just won't apply to Verisign. I can assure you if anything is up and running within 6 months to a year, it will be by existing operators rather than new ones. Just look how long it took all the new extension from dot INFO to dot ASIA to launch, and that was without the complications of IDN.

thefabfive
10th October 2007, 02:25 PM
Verisign has a responsibility to protect their brand. I just don't see them relinquishing control of the "dot com" brand no matter what language it's translated into.

mulligan
10th October 2007, 02:33 PM
But there is no decision as to what it will be .. it may not be a translation of .com or .net,

.com, .net etc is so engrained into our psyche that we assume that that's what it's going to be .. They may choose something else altogether ...

thefabfive
10th October 2007, 02:41 PM
But there is no decision as to what it will be .. it may not be a translation of .com or .net,

.com, .net etc is so engrained into our psyche that we assume that that's what it's going to be .. They may choose something else altogether ...
Not just our psyche, but most of the world. Anything else would have a hard time gaining acceptance.

But, either way, I'd still be happy holding the IDN.com.

Explorer
10th October 2007, 02:47 PM

...allowing someone else to take over translated versions of .com and .net...:-)

Rubber Duck
10th October 2007, 02:50 PM
Dot Com is very heavily engrained, even in Asia. I think most people will use the IDN.ASCII version.

touchring
10th October 2007, 03:11 PM
Dot Com is very heavily engrained, even in Asia. I think most people will use the IDN.ASCII version.

idn.idn?

My .gongsi for sale, $2000 each, anyone wants, guaranteed to work in China?

Note: Deletion possible.

Rubber Duck
10th October 2007, 03:22 PM
idn.idn?

My .gongsi for sale, $2000 each, anyone wants, guaranteed to work in China?

Note: Deletion possible.

Probably not, but it is highly likely that they will end up Aliases with .com.cn

touchring
10th October 2007, 03:29 PM
Probably not, but it is highly likely that they will end up Aliases with .com.cn

.gongsi worked in china since 2007 march.

markits
10th October 2007, 03:48 PM
.gongsi worked in china since 2007 march.
Nope. You register .gongsi. But in order to make it work, you have to attach .cn in the end (.gongsi.cn).