PDA

View Full Version : Are IDNs treated differently from Google than normal URLs

Olney
11th November 2005, 08:25 AM
So we discovered that IDN's don't get page rank yet but I think I understand the problem

It's just a theory though.
What if there are certain kinds of URLs & encodes..

So what I'm saying is based on another site I own.

Basically that site actually had lots of UTF-8 backlinks & also normal English ISO encoded links
The page was Japanese & encoded as shift-JIS & did not show pagerank for years.

As soon as I changed it over to UTF-8
The next update it went to PR4

So currently I wrote before that IDNs are not eligible for Pagerank...

I think I'm wrong.
I think that if IDNs link to IDNs it will start producing PageRank...

I think that Google treats IDNs different just like different encodes...
Very Valuable to know

I think I'm going to start seeing if I can develop a few more IDN web sites to see if I can produce a PR1 or PR2 at least...

Rubber Duck
11th November 2005, 09:31 AM
Think your in the wrong game. Looks like you have a new career opening as a Regional SEO guru! Not sure I really unstood all that but it all sounds very impressive.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Olney
11th November 2005, 10:09 AM
Well the thing is this.

How do you increase Google PR when you have a website.
Normally you get backlinks from other web sites.
The ones that have the same kind of content are better to make your search results better.
But this is based on the fact that normally people get links from sites with almost the same encoding or language.

But with IDNs they are not the standard domains.
They are included in Google results we found out.

For example the strength of Japanese encoded web sites don't compare to English sites yet.

So the thery means that IDNs linking to IDNs may produce Google Page Rank...

sarcle
5th December 2005, 07:16 AM
Okay so I did some looking and found a site with some pr.

xn--tlcharger-b4ab.com or www.télécharger.com
Mean's "downloads" in French.
The site has been online since 26-Feb-2001
It apparantly only has 11 links.
It has whopping overture with ext of 2501 for télécharger.com

It has a pagerank of 4

PageRank Link (http://www.seochat.com/?go=1&option=com_seotools&tool=9&url=xn--tlcharger-b4ab.com&submit=Check)

While pagerank is not very much considering the alexa ranking for the site, it's encouraging at least to have some info on the reality of it.

Alexa is 187,732  Alexa Link (http://www.alexa.com/data/details/?url=xn--tlcharger-b4ab.com)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S.
Oh Yeah, and Idn's will never work.  ;D  This is great info for the doubters at dnforum.  Feel free to pass it on.

Olney
5th December 2005, 07:38 AM
Absolute excellent find.

Yeah my second theory was that maybe they do produce pagerank but they need IDN links, or age which that has.

So I guess that means you guys should start adding backlinks to your IDNs now so that they mature by the time you try to sell...

Rubber Duck
5th December 2005, 08:01 AM
Very impressive. The non-IDN term gets slightly more at 2756 with extension but still very impressive! Interesting to note that telecharge.fr only get 781 with extension, but télécharger.fr also gets in on the act with 82. Thanks!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

bramiozo
5th December 2005, 08:42 AM
Meaning we should help eachother by posting links on our IDN's (in frames or whatever, visible nonetheless) ?

sarcle
5th December 2005, 04:41 PM
I will for one, add backlinks for people on my site. Sarcle.com

If anyone wants some of their best Idn's to be linked to I will do this for members here. Just shoot me a pm with a few of your favorites.