PDA

View Full Version : Can I use ANY registrar?

milan
9th March 2006, 05:44 PM
I'm new to IDNs -- please help me out on this one:
Can I register an IDN by converting it to punnycode and registering that form via any registrar (not only those that advertise as IDN). E.g., I want to register glück.com, and I translate it to xn--glck-1ra.com, and then go to my cheap registrar and register xn--glck-1ra.com for couple of bucks?

kenne
9th March 2006, 05:53 PM
in my experience, if they don't support punycode, typing in xn--abc will result in an error. So as long as they
don't return error, it's probably ok.

I've used domainsite, name.net with no problems.

idnceo
9th March 2006, 06:09 PM
Can I register an IDN by converting it to punnycode and registering that form via any registrar (not only those that advertise as IDN). E.g., I want to register glück.com, and I translate it to xn--glck-1ra.com, and then go to my cheap registrar and register xn--glck-1ra.com for couple of bucks?

Since you are new in IDNs, when you are gonna decide for a registrar, you should also consider what you are gonna do with it, there are many fees that need to be considered depending on what u want. Sometimes the cheapest ones to register a domain arent so cheap at the end. And be cautious, dont trust some people in several domain forums, as they work- own- or are personal friends, etc. with X registrars, so they just keep telling you use X. Try yourself with several registrars and decide by yourself. And when start registering, remember some IDN are reserved, so dont get excited to see domains like 中国.com available in some registrars, etc.

Rubber Duck
9th March 2006, 06:19 PM

There is a lot more to worry about than just cost. If you sell is going to be easy to transfer? If you have a lot are they going to be easy to manage? If you have problems will others on here be able to advise? Who has the best interface, and who is going places in this business?

Heck, what do I know I only have 3K so I just stick with www.domainsite.com ?

blastfromthepast
9th March 2006, 08:28 PM
DomainSite seems to do it. I neither work for them nor have any interest. At the same time, after dealing with a variety of registrars for about a decade now, I know a good one when I see one.

milan
9th March 2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I did use DomainSite and it's good.
However, my question was more of a technical nature - i.e. whether a registrar has to be "IDN enabled" in order to register domain names? In other words -- is registering an IDN domain name xn--glck-1ra.com equivalent in process to registering some absde.com. If a registrar that is not "IDN enabled" attempt to do it, is it going to fail because its registration procedure does not implement some step specific to IDN?

Thanks again

Rubber Duck
9th March 2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I did use DomainSite and it's good.
However, my question was more of a technical nature - i.e. whether a registrar has to be "IDN enabled" in order to register domain names? In other words -- is registering an IDN domain name xn--glck-1ra.com equivalent in process to registering some absde.com. If a registrar that is not "IDN enabled" attempt to do it, is it going to fail because its registration procedure does not implement some step specific to IDN?

Thanks again

Yes, approval to sell IDN is a separate qualifications than approval to sell ASCII. If they do not have Registry Approval to sell IDN it will fail.

milan
9th March 2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks Rubber Duck !

Drewbert
9th March 2006, 11:02 PM
In the early days of IDN discussions, before they'd actually launched the system, it was possible to go and register ra--* names thus tying the names up. It was good fun albiet an expensive game as the encoding method hadn't been set in stone.

These days, they've learnt from their mistakes and now any registration attempt of a xn-- domain requires it to be accompanied by a language encoding field.

If your cheapy registrar hasn't enabled IDN, it will be impossible to register a xn-- name though them.

OldIDNer
12th March 2006, 10:59 PM
Here is a list of IDN registrars from Verisign - for .com and .net:

IDN Registrars have completed an accreditation program based on guidelines set by ICANN. Once accredited by ICANN, these registrars go through very thorough testing to be prepared to offer domain name registration services. The following registrars have completed the accreditation progress and testing and are currently operational. They provide IDN registration services for .com and .net. extensions.

000Domains.com US
007Names, Inc. US
123 Registration, Inc. US
1st Domain.net, division of G+D International, LLC US

A
Active ISP ASA Norway
Alldomains.com, Inc. US
Arsys Spain
Ascio Technologies, Inc. Denmark

B
BB Online UK Ltd. UK
BulkRegister, LLC. US

C
Catalog.com, Inc. US
China-channel.com China
CommuniGal Communications, Ltd. Israel
CORE - Internet Council of Registrars Switzerland
Cronon AG Germany
CyDentity, Inc. Korea

D
Domain Bank, Inc. US
Domain Registration Services, Inc. US
DomainCA.com Korea
domaindiscount24.com Germany
domaininfo.com Sweden
doregi.com Korea
Dotster, Inc. US
Dynadot, LLC US

E
eNom, Inc. US

F
Firstserver, Inc. Japan
Future Media Network K.K. Japan

G
Gabia, Inc. Korea
Gandi France
GKG.net, Inc US
Global Media Online, Inc. Japan
Globedom Datenkommunikations GmbH d/b/a Globedom Austria

H
HiChina Web Solutions (Hong Kong) Limited China

I
INAMES Corp. Korea
Interdomain, SA Spain
ItsYourDomain.com US

J
joker.com Germany

M
Melbourne IT Limited Australia

N
Name.com LLC US
Namebay SAM Monaco
Names4Ever US
namesbeyond.com Canada
NetBenefit PLC d/b/a NetNames UK
Netpia.com, Inc. Korea
Nomer.com Brazil
Nominalia Internet S.L. Spain

P
pAsia, Inc. China
PSI-Japan, Inc. Japan
PSI-USA, Inc. US

R
register.com, Inc. US
rgnames.com Korea

S
SafeNames, Ltd. UK
Schlund+Partner AG Germany
Spot Domain LLC d/b/a Domainsite.com US

T
Today and Tomorrow Co. Ltd. Korea
TUCOWS Inc. Canada

W
WebNic.cc UK

X
Xin Net Corp. China

Y
YesNIC Co Ltd.

http://www.verisign.com/information-services/naming-services/internationalized-domain-names/page_001397.html

OldIDNer
12th March 2006, 11:00 PM
double posted

OldIDNer
27th March 2006, 12:40 PM
Can anyone recommend any IDN registrars that offer affiliate programs? I know there is idotz.net. Any more?