PDA

View Full Version : Starting to see punycode on Google Ads

Olney
13th October 2007, 06:36 AM
I have to see them but I've started to see Punycode in Japanese ads on Adwords.
Seeing the xn-- looks bad but I've noticed occasionally ads where the advertisers had IDN domains.

The one I saw today wasn't a major corporation & Google's initial price for online advertising is a lot less than Yahoo (Overture) is here in Japan. I can't remember seeing punycode much on Yahoo yet.

I have been trying to get both to see to it to add IDN compatibility to adwords & Yahoo Search Marketing. Those of you that work with reps from either company should do the same. Or even posting on forums that have official reps.

They've both added compatibility to their Webmaster tools, so it seems they are working on IDN compatibility.

Fka200
13th October 2007, 07:02 AM
I've complained about that feature more times than I can count. I SERIOUSLY considered using Adwords, but when I saw I couldn't list my ad with my unicode domain, I said hell no.

Rubber Duck
13th October 2007, 07:09 AM
It makes little material difference. You can still bring up Ads according to Unicode Keywords, but it will have a big impact on Advertisers perceptions. Those that don't do it will lose out very quickly. Search Engines are extremely sensitive to anything to do with Revenue Growth. They will do this. :p

burnsinternet
13th October 2007, 07:16 AM
We had the same complaint about Yandex. You would think that they might be more sensitive to their own language....

Just another hurdle as we push the envelope. Seems like nothing will be easy.

Olney
13th October 2007, 07:40 AM
We are referring only to the display URL on advertisements.
You can't put them in Unicode yet.
You try to make the best appealing ad for conversions & an IDN would be a whole extra line of related keywords to attract conversions.
Advertisers who already spend $10,000 to $50,000 a month can afford to get the best domains for campaigns.

mulligan
13th October 2007, 08:04 AM
It can only be a matter of time before we see unicode in google / yahoo ads .. they can't be that blind!

Maybe the demand from unicode advertisers just isn't at critical mass yet

rkae
13th October 2007, 08:06 AM
I can't wait for full IDN adwords support. I feel I'm going to make some money selling products under domains which match the main keyword of the niche.

Rubber Duck
13th October 2007, 08:41 AM
It can only be a matter of time before we see unicode in google / yahoo ads .. they can't be that blind!

Maybe the demand from unicode advertisers just isn't at critical mass yet

Unicode has presented huge challenges to Google but judging by their Market Share figures it is an opportunity that they have risen to with a great deal of grace.

domainguru
13th October 2007, 09:06 AM
Unicode has presented huge challenges to Google but judging by their Market Share figures it is an opportunity that they have risen to with a great deal of grace.

At least Google show unicode in their search results and have done for a long time. Last time I looked, both yahoo and MSN were still showing punycode, shame on them.

Punycode, whether in search results or in the browser address bar, has been *the* major obstacle when trying to sell advertising space on our Thai website. It's just a confidence thing. Advertisers don't understand why they are seeing xn-- instead of a domain name, and are scared we are running some kind of scam site.

It will be a great day for IDNs when we never see punycode shown anywhere in "public". It should be kept firmly behind locked doors and WHOIS results.

jacksonm
13th October 2007, 09:09 AM
It will be a great day for IDNs when we never see punycode shown anywhere in "public". It should be kept firmly behind locked doors and WHOIS results.

But it won't be so as long as Firefox and Verisign are in their pissing contest.

Rubber Duck
13th October 2007, 09:40 AM
But it won't be so as long as Firefox and Verisign are in their pissing contest.

It is time for Firefox to give up on trying to Usurp ICANN's roll, and obviating the phishing problem by disabling the only domains carrying significant amounts of traffic. The know that just about nobody in the US is going to trust anything without a dot com on the end!

jacksonm
13th October 2007, 09:48 AM
It is time for Firefox to give up on trying to Usurp ICANN's roll, and obviating the phishing problem by disabling the only domains carrying significant amounts of traffic. The know that just about nobody in the US is going to trust anything without a dot com on the end!

Yes, it is. But you have got to agree that Verisign could also do more and be a bit more responsible instead of being so freaking greedy, such as disallowing mixed cyrillic or greek and latin registrations. I think the potential for mixed cyrillic and latin is really the major bitching point of most native english speakers.

mulligan
13th October 2007, 10:33 AM
Last time I looked, both yahoo and MSN were still showing punycode, shame on them.

Yahoo are showing all my Japanese URLs in unicode

domainguru
13th October 2007, 10:53 AM
Yahoo are showing all my Japanese URLs in unicode

Apologies to Yahoo! Japan. Just seems to be that version that is on the ball. Both yahoo.com and yahoo.co.th are still showing punycode:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%8C&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&vc=&fp_ip=UK

But got one nice surprise - we are at #1 for "เกมส์" on yahoo :) little traffic though :p

mulligan
13th October 2007, 10:57 AM
Thats weird, is it a Japanese thing? My Japanese sites are showing unicode in yahoo.com as well as yahoo.jp

domainguru
13th October 2007, 11:02 AM
Thats weird, is it a Japanese thing? My Japanese sites are showing unicode in yahoo.com as well as yahoo.jp

Weird.... can you look up "Xn--12c8d1a4fxc.com" at yahoo japan for me and see if it comes out as Xn--12c8d1a4fxc.com or เกมส์.com? I tried it myself but it didn't show up at all, probably 'cos it is only showing pages just within japan and i don't know how to change the option....

Olney
13th October 2007, 11:08 AM
Nope doesn't convert
Yahoo Japan makes a lot of money for the Yahoo group & probably requested the compatibility. IDN.jp & ASCII.jp where launched at the same time & they probably implemented punycode in the system then but the domains weren't widely developed to stand on their own, so probably went unnoticed.

Weird.... can you look up "Xn--12c8d1a4fxc.com" at yahoo japan for me and see if it comes out as Xn--12c8d1a4fxc.com or เกมส์.com? I tried it myself but it didn't show up at all, probably 'cos it is only showing pages just within japan and i don't know how to change the option....

Rubber Duck
13th October 2007, 11:16 AM
It is funny, the only parts of the Yahoo empire that is not nearly completely dysfunctional are the bits they don't own.

mulligan
13th October 2007, 11:17 AM

No, no unicode, punycode (Hell of a lot of URLs indexed tho .. :))

domainguru
13th October 2007, 11:28 AM
No, no unicode, punycode (Hell of a lot of URLs indexed tho .. :))

So to summarize, whether you go to yahoo.com or yahoo.co.jp or yahoo.co.th, japanese IDNs display as Unicode but other IDNs display as Punycode.

What sort of f***ed IDN algorithm is that, and for what purpose? Some kind of deranged anti-phising idea???

thegenius1
13th October 2007, 03:18 PM
I can't wait for full IDN adwords support. I feel I'm going to make some money selling products under domains which match the main keyword of the niche.

Thats a Understatement , you can making some serious F'ing Money doing this :)