INFO $7.25 Oct 15, 00:00 UTC
BIZ $7.50 Oct 19, 00:00 UTC

To save money, we recommend you renew your domains at the current price
before the above-listed dates.

We work hard to keep prices low. This is our first price increase since
we went into business in 2002.

Best Regards,
Dynadot Staff

Crap. This is really not what I needed right now... probably going to renew all my domains till 2009... but have about a day to make this big decision. Sigh! Time to pull out a couple domains and throw em up on the wooden block.

burnsinternet
13th October 2007, 08:43 AM
*sigh*

Just before renewal season.

Asiaplay
13th October 2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah - got the same e-mail... IDNing just got that little bit more expensive!!!

Personally think that given automated systems do not cost more to run... TLD central registries are just getting greedy - sigh ;) .

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: Rubberduck - guess that means another 5 to 10K for you to cover your re-registrations (one sale of one of your good IDNs should fix that I guess :) haha - onward and upward goes the battle cry!!!)

Fka200
13th October 2007, 08:51 AM
Goodluck guys and gals! Wish I didn't have to make this decision while studying for midterms.

domainguru
13th October 2007, 08:52 AM
And don't forget this is only the first increase by Verisign. Didn't ICANN give them permission to raise prices in 4 of the next 7 years or something ridiculous. Don't be surprised if domains are costing $10 by 2015.

Drewbert
13th October 2007, 09:06 AM
Blame Icann.

domainguru
13th October 2007, 09:08 AM
Goodluck guys and gals! Wish I didn't have to make this decision while studying for midterms.

Stop trying to make us oldies jealous :p

bwhhisc
13th October 2007, 11:06 AM
Stop trying to make us oldies jealous

Amen to that; my kids are studying for their mid-terms :p

Rubber Duck
13th October 2007, 11:30 AM
And don't forget this is only the first increase by Verisign. Didn't ICANN give them permission to raise prices in 4 of the next 7 years or something ridiculous. Don't be surprised if domains are costing $10 by 2015.

I doubt it. By 2010 we will be ten years ahead just to have something to off-set against tax.

Frankly, the increase in domain prices are not something I have spent a lot of time thinking about. If that is your main pre-occupation, you must have a pretty shitty portfolio.

domainguru
13th October 2007, 11:36 AM
I doubt it. By 2010 we will be ten years ahead just to have something to off-set against tax.

Frankly, the increase in domain prices are not something I have spent a lot of time thinking about. If that is your main pre-occupation, you must have a pretty shitty portfolio.

wow RD, just trying to educate a few people about future price increases and you decide to take a needless pop at my portfolio.

Rubber Duck
13th October 2007, 02:33 PM
wow RD, just trying to educate a few people about future price increases and you decide to take a needless pop at my portfolio.

Perhaps I should have said "one".

I very much doubt that the price of renewals is a major consideration when you are managing your portfolio.

The only thing really holding you up is Adsense. Won't be long now.

IDNCowboy
13th October 2007, 03:09 PM
Dynadot kinda lied... they said an increase would take place next week

Drewbert
13th October 2007, 05:03 PM

You're missing the point entirely.

There is no practical reason for a price increase.

Tucows offered to run the .com registry for $2 a name.

The price increase happened because ICANN let it happen. That's the ONLY reason.

If you're happy to pay more each year for something that costs your supplier less each year to produce, then you need to find an accountant.

Dynadot kinda lied... they said an increase would take place next week

Yes. That was nasty.

Rubber Duck
13th October 2007, 05:23 PM
Versign are making a killing. They will make even more when IDN.com explodes. I like to think they will stay motivated. 7% annual increase in fees is not only something we can live with, but frankly I feel very comfortable with it.

Compare the renewal cost with dot CN or even dot JP. Then take a look at the jiggary pokery going on with dots TV, Mobi, EU and Asia. No sorry I am happy as a pig in shit just the way things are.

Besides Frank Schilling and Marchex have a much larger problem than I do and they are already gouging and biting over it. But their efforts to keep Verisign in check also work for me as well. It is a very healthy scenario all round.

You're missing the point entirely.

There is no practical reason for a price increase.

Tucows offered to run the .com registry for $2 a name.

The price increase happened because ICANN let it happen. That's the ONLY reason.

If you're happy to pay more each year for something that costs your supplier less each year to produce, then you need to find an accountant.

Yes. That was nasty.

13th October 2007, 05:32 PM
i dont think the actual money diffrence is the problem...how easy they raise it and with practically zero fight is the problem.

we all just wanna 'kiss her' at start...but after you kiss her you want to (fill in the blank boys and girls). :)

IDNCowboy
13th October 2007, 05:39 PM
i dont think the actual money diffrence is the problem...how easy they raise it and with practically zero fight is the problem.

we all just wanna 'kiss her' at start...but after you kiss her you want to (fill in the blank boys and girls). :)
Well we all know that ICANN loves to kiss ass

Rubber Duck
13th October 2007, 05:41 PM
Well it will please me very well if they can just keep on kissing it for a few more months. After that I really won't care too much.

Drewbert
13th October 2007, 05:43 PM
7% annual increase in fees is not only something we can live with, but frankly I feel very comfortable with it.

The "I don't give a shit because I can afford it" attitude is one of the chief reasons it happened. It sucks, quite frankly.

You deserve to have Verisign come up with a system where they get a percentage of the revenue made of each .com domain name each year.

Or one where they convert .com into a system like .tv where they decide what premium domains are and charge what they like for them at renewal time.

I guess you'd complain then. And I'd laugh because you'd get what you deserved.

Your "I don't care because it doesn't affect me" attitude is what's wrong with this world.

IDNCowboy
13th October 2007, 05:52 PM
The "I don't give a shit because I can afford it" attitude is one of the chief reasons it happened. It sucks, quite frankly.

You deserve to have Verisign come up with a system where they get a percentage of the revenue made of each .com domain name each year.

Or one where they convert .com into a system like .tv where they decide what premium domains are and charge what they like for them at renewal time.

Your "I don't care because it doesn't affect me" attitude is what's wrong with this world.
He couldn't care as names are already cheaper for him now.

Rubber Duck
13th October 2007, 06:25 PM

But that is the whole point, the is a cost trajectory mapped out for the foreseeable future and I am locked into a registry where all the major players are. None of them are going to be bothered about these modest increases but kinds of stunts that go on elsewhere are simply out of the question. Too many powerful vested interests even for Verisign to take on and win.

Fka200
13th October 2007, 09:51 PM
Renewing my good dictionary domains till 2009, some names get special treatment till 2010. I think some people need to make this decision as well... you can save a lot of cash by renewing NOW instead of waiting for something you are already going to have to do. Might be hard, but worth it in the end IMO.

jose
13th October 2007, 09:56 PM
Renewing my good dictionary domains till 2009, some names get special treatment till 2010. I think some people need to make this decision as well... you can save a lot of cash by renewing NOW instead of waiting for something you are already going to have to do. Might be hard, but worth it in the end IMO.

Google loves that. Opps...revealing SEO secrets, lol.

Fka200
13th October 2007, 09:59 PM

Yeah I figured that would be another good reason to do it (seriously). :)

L@@K
13th October 2007, 11:31 PM

Yes I was thinking to that also.
In fact, I use to think as if gg was human, and you know what, I feel he is...

Edited: about prices name.com is $5.99 first year & transfers

IDNCowboy
13th October 2007, 11:37 PM
Yes I was thinking to that also.
In fact, I use to think as if gg was human, and you know what, I feel he is...

Edited: about prices name.com is $5.99 first year & transfers
damn too bad i renewed all my names ;)

i renewed 3/4 til 2010. Should I renew to 2012? 2013?

L@@K
14th October 2007, 12:00 AM
If I didn't make mistake, if you're in euro zone, it can be more interesting to wait and renew at the end of each year even if they rise by 7% a year their prices.

5 years of EUR to USD (http://fr.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=EURUSD=X&t=5y)

Rubber Duck
14th October 2007, 06:39 AM
If I didn't make mistake, if you're in euro zone, it can be more interesting to wait and renew at the end of each year even if they rise by 7% a year their prices.

5 years of EUR to USD (http://fr.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=EURUSD=X&t=5y)

Not just the Euro Zone. For most outside the US prices are likely to keep dropping.

And don't forget most domestically based registrars take the piss. Take 1 and 1 for example, they charge double or more in Europe if you register on their TLD sites. If you go to the dot com site, they prevent you from purchasing because you have a non-US address.

The Euro may be strong but compared with the Yuan, the Roupe and the Rubble appreciation is going to positively tiny. But you are correct, we are going to see dot com pricing continuing to drop in comparative terms.

IDNCowboy
14th October 2007, 06:49 AM
Not just the Euro Zone. For most outside the US prices are likely to keep dropping.

And don't forget most domestically based registrars take the piss. Take 1 and 1 for example, they charge double or more in Europe if you register on their TLD sites. If you go to the dot com site, they prevent you from purchasing because you have a non-US address.

The Euro may be strong but compared with the Yuan, the Roupe and the Rubble appreciation is going to positively tiny. But you are correct, we are going to see dot com pricing continuing to drop in comparative terms.
so quit complainin about rising .com costs ;-)

It's gonna cost you the same in the ending or prob less :P

Rubber Duck
14th October 2007, 06:54 AM
so quit complainin about rising .com costs ;-)

It's gonna cost you the same in the ending or prob less :P

Who me? You cannot win around here! I got a roasting from Drewbert yesterday for stating we were unconcerned.

Our stated position was as follows

Versign are making a killing. They will make even more when IDN.com explodes. I like to think they will stay motivated. 7% annual increase in fees is not only something we can live with, but frankly I feel very comfortable with it.

Compare the renewal cost with dot CN or even dot JP. Then take a look at the jiggary pokery going on with dots TV, Mobi, EU and Asia. No sorry I am happy as a pig in shit just the way things are.

Besides Frank Schilling and Marchex have a much larger problem than I do and they are already gouging and biting over it. But their efforts to keep Verisign in check also work for me as well. It is a very healthy scenario all round.

rhys
14th October 2007, 10:42 AM
Hey dynadot's new .net pricing is still way cheaper than domainsite's. What does it cost to transfer a .net out of domainsite and into dynadot? Anybody know?

burnsinternet
14th October 2007, 10:47 AM
Free, I think. Just pay renewal fee at DynaDot.

rhys
14th October 2007, 11:47 AM
Free, I think. Just pay renewal fee at DynaDot.

Is there any bulk process or do I have to transfer into dynadot one at a time? Also where do I get the authorization code from domainsite? Bueller? Bueller?

Rubber Duck
14th October 2007, 11:51 AM
If you go to My Account and click on the punycode, it will come up bottom right.

Don't forget you still need to Unlock and go through Email confirmation.

Drewbert
14th October 2007, 05:29 PM
https://www.dynadot.com/account/search/transfer_bulk.html

put in a list...

domain authcode
domain authcode
domain authcode

rhys
15th October 2007, 05:38 AM
It's still not too late to renew your .com at the old price over at domainsite. Hurry up! 10:38 PST

IDNCowboy
15th October 2007, 05:50 AM
It's still not too late to renew your .com at the old price over at domainsite. Hurry up! 10:38 PST
wheres domainsite's new pricing listed?

did anyone renew their names for 10 years

touchring
15th October 2007, 06:19 AM
darm, my card failed for moniker. just called, the system is rebooting!

mgrohan
15th October 2007, 06:38 AM
Many customers have complained that we did not give enough advance notice for the price increase. It is a valid complaint, and I acknowledge that we could have done better in communicating with you.

Therefore we have delayed the price increase until Oct 19, 00:00 UTC. We will maintain the current price of $7.99 ($6.99 bulk) until that date. Now everyone will have enough time to register, renew, or transfer their domains at the lower prices.

http://www.dynadot.com/resource/forums/f1-domain-name-discussion/price-increase-delayed-1259.html

A few more days for those domains at dynadot...

markits
15th October 2007, 07:08 AM
Have just finished a massive renew.

touchring
15th October 2007, 08:49 AM
wheres domainsite's new pricing listed?

did anyone renew their names for 10 years

Darn, i got this!!!

Your credit card has been authorized.

ERROR: We were unable to process the items in your order.

yanni
15th October 2007, 09:15 AM
From Dynadot:

we have delayed the price increase until Oct 19, 00:00 UTC

So, take it easy.