PDA

View Full Version : Dingbats banned?

touchring
14th October 2007, 07:38 AM
Something fishy done below our noses. Anyone?

Rubber Duck
14th October 2007, 07:41 AM
Something fishy done below our noses. Anyone?

Nameprep updated?

Nothing fishy here though. It is a bit like complaining about getting a ticket after doing three red lights in broad daylight!

burnsinternet
14th October 2007, 08:22 AM
Please explain what y'all are writing about.

Rubber Duck
14th October 2007, 08:24 AM
I am guessing that he is moaning that his Dingbats won't resolve.

touchring
14th October 2007, 08:54 AM
Please explain what y'all are writing about.

Banned from registration.

Like everyone i'm busy renewing my names. So i checked my dingbats. If you don't renew your dingbats, you'll not be able to register them nor snap them after they drop.

Rubber Duck
14th October 2007, 09:00 AM
You mean you are still trying register them. Are you nuts?

I think only dot Com and dot Net have really been allowing them anyway, which is part of the problem with Mozilla.

The thing is it is all historical. Verisign did a lot of things before "the rules" started to get formulated. Other registries have had the benefit of hindsight.

Verisign is basically waiting for a lead and clarification from ICANN.

Stopping new registrations of Dingbats, however, is a prudent move as they almost certainly won't resolve in the near future and will probably be deleted with minimal compensation.

touchring
14th October 2007, 09:02 AM
You mean you are still trying register them. Are you nuts?

I think only dot Com and dot Net have really been allowing them anyway, which is part of the problem with Mozilla.

The thing is it is all historical. Verisign did a lot of things before "the rules" started to get formulated. Other registries have had the benefit of hindsight.

Verisign is basically waiting for a lead and clarification from ICANN.

Stopping new registrations of Dingbats, however, is a prudent move as they almost certainly won't resolve in the near future and will probably be deleted with minimal compensation.

No, checking only. Besides i only got a few dingbats, which i'll renew anyways.

Rubber Duck
14th October 2007, 09:04 AM
No, checking only. Besides i only got a few dingbats, which i'll renew anyways.

Doesn't the fact that you cannot register new one send you any warning signals?

You should consult Blast. He has had more domains deleted than any man alive!

touchring
14th October 2007, 09:06 AM
Doesn't the fact that you cannot register new one send you any warning signals?

You should consult Blast. He has had more domains deleted than any man alive!

What happened blast? :o

burnsinternet
14th October 2007, 09:17 AM
They don't delete dot coms, do they? I have only heard of ccTLDs being deleted.

touchring
14th October 2007, 09:52 AM

Yes, this is what i thought as well. I thought that only countries with draconian laws will confiscate property.

Rubber Duck
14th October 2007, 09:55 AM

They will on ICANN's instructions, but not on Mozilla's, which is why we have the Firefox problem.

touchring
14th October 2007, 10:19 AM
They will on ICANN's instructions, but not on Mozilla's, which is why we have the Firefox problem.

What kind of domains blast lost?

burnsinternet
14th October 2007, 10:25 AM
ICANN won't delete dot com or dot net.

I have two bumper stickers on my pickup truck:

My Other Car is a Horse

and

You can take away my dot coms when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

http://www.infohub.com/forums/images/smilies/cowboy.gif

(just kidding about the bumper stickers...)

Rubber Duck
14th October 2007, 10:28 AM
I understand your sentiment, but if the system no longer supports these names which it won't then there is little option but mass deletion. I am sure you will be credited with a registration fee, but that is not what this game is about.

ICANN won't delete dot com or dot net.

I have two bumper stickers on my pickup truck:

My Other Car is a Horse

and

You can take away my dot coms when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

http://www.infohub.com/forums/images/smilies/cowboy.gif

(just kidding about the bumper stickers...)

burnsinternet
14th October 2007, 10:45 AM
Maybe. But I don't believe mass deletion (or any deletion) will occur. They will happily collect renewal fees.

I have a couple of dingbat domains and will never drop them. I really don't care if they resolve or not. I also have a few items around the house that I will probably never throw away but are never used.

Those dingbat domains are a part of my early IDNing. A part of our heritage. Historical relics.

OK. OK. Maybe not museum pieces... But I like them.

IDNer
14th October 2007, 10:55 AM
Dingbats banned

It's really scared me, so I just renewal 3 of my best dingbats -

xn--lzg.net (€.net) 2017-09-05 00:00:00
xn--gba.net (©.net) 2017-09-05 00:00:00
xn--lba.net (®.net) 2017-09-05 00:00:00

burnsinternet
14th October 2007, 10:58 AM
Did those ever resolve to unicode anyway? Mine only resolved using the Verisign plugin. Not with IE7.

IDNer
14th October 2007, 11:25 AM
I never check it before

domainguru
14th October 2007, 11:45 AM
€.net resolves fine in Firefox, but in IE7 it shows a warning saying something like "this domain contains characters that cannot be displayed with current language settings" and then an option to add new languages, but I somehow doubt there is a language that will accept it....

For ©.net, IE7 just says invalid address, though again, Firefox works fine.

Let's be clear about this, and it has been said many times on this forum, Dingbats will not be of practical use going forward. If you want to renew them for posterity, fine, but in the future don't expect anyone to buy them off you, dingbats are fool's gold.

burnsinternet
14th October 2007, 12:23 PM
Sometimes people collect things (e.g. sea shells, figurines, stamps) without really ever claiming that those things will be valuable. If this is your choice, then who cares what others think? I am in that camp.

My few dingbats have much better stats than my various Thai domains. I plan to hold on to both for a long time.

Finally, no one can really say that those dingbat domains will NEVER be valuable. It is likely, yes. But you don't REALLY know that.

If some of us want to keep a few around to remind us of the old days.... Leave us be.

domainguru
14th October 2007, 01:05 PM
Sometimes people collect things (e.g. sea shells, figurines, stamps) without really ever claiming that those things will be valuable. If this is your choice, then who cares what others think? I am in that camp.

My few dingbats have much better stats than my various Thai domains. I plan to hold on to both for a long time.

Finally, no one can really say that those dingbat domains will NEVER be valuable. It is likely, yes. But you don't REALLY know that.

If some of us want to keep a few around to remind us of the old days.... Leave us be.

Sure, but your Thai domains will still resolve next year, you can be 99.999% sure of that.

I'm certainly not telling anyone to not renew, it is of course your choice. But there are a surprising number of people around that have no real idea of what processes are happening at the moment regarding dingbats and other unicode symbols. I have followed it all on the IETF mailing list for a year or more. Believe me, Dingbats are not seen as having a future by those setting current and future standards for what can and what can't be included in IDNs.

So yes, I DO know that. You might be less keen to pay renewal fees in a year's time when they are getting 0 visits a month and no prospects of getting visits any time again in the future.

IDNer
14th October 2007, 01:11 PM
Have make a test and found -

xn--b6hcdefghij.com (♠♡♢♣♤♥♦♧♨.com) Taken
xn--b6hcdefghij.net (♠♡♢♣♤♥♦♧♨.net) Taken
xn--p3hadef19chaijk.com (♩♪♫♬♭★★☆☇☈.com) Taken
xn--p3hadef19chaijk.net (♩♪♫♬♭★★☆☇☈.net) Taken
xn--q3hcdefgh.com (☆☇☈☉☊☋☌.com) Taken
xn--q3hcdefgh.net (☆☇☈☉☊☋☌.net) Taken

and Whois record shown -

No match for domain "xn--b6hcdefghij.com (♠♡♢♣♤♥♦♧♨.com)"
No match for domain "xn--p3hadef19chaijk.com (♩♪♫♬♭★★☆☇☈.com)"
No match for domain "xn--q3hcdefgh.com (☆☇☈☉☊☋☌.com)"

I do believe that it's not accept the dingbat domain registration now...

burnsinternet
14th October 2007, 01:35 PM
No problem. I only have a couple of them.

touchring
14th October 2007, 02:15 PM
Did those ever resolve to unicode anyway? Mine only resolved using the Verisign plugin. Not with IE7.

Mine resolves all the time. Warnings are not a big problem.

goidn
14th October 2007, 03:01 PM
Question:
Would you consider these guys to be dingbats::

匝.COM &

礁.COM ?

They are one-letter words.

I'm loaded with this sheet

Rubber Duck
14th October 2007, 03:04 PM
No. Anything that is considered necessary to write a language is definitely OK!

What we are talking about are little pictographs that have been designed recently, and that definitely doesn't include Simplified Chinese!

Question:
Would you consider these guys to be dingbats::

匝.COM &

礁.COM ?

They are one-letter words.

I'm loaded with this sheet

Giant
14th October 2007, 03:12 PM
匝 & 礁 are Chinese characters.

I think RD and Domainguru have done their homework, they know what they are talking --- all dingbats will become invalid.

Maybe. But I don't believe mass deletion (or any deletion) will occur. They will happily collect renewal fees.

your renewal fee is collected by the Registry, not by the IDN team of engineers that reccommend the exclusion of dingbats.

The chief engineers in the IDN team have voiced their intention to exclude dingbats a few times in the last 2 years, not because they want to but they have to, to improve the Nameprep algorithm or specs.

Mine resolves all the time. Warnings are not a big problem.

Once ICANN makes it fomal and browsers use the updated version of Nameprep, all dingbats will be shown as invalid domains although VeriSign would still keep your (registered) dingbat punycode in their database.

jose
14th October 2007, 06:17 PM
Question: Is € a dingbat?

Rubber Duck
14th October 2007, 06:19 PM
Question: Is € a dingbat?

No, but that does mean to say it is not at risk.

The philosophy is that only characters required to write a language where possible. Even some of those are not going to make the cut.

touchring
14th October 2007, 06:28 PM
No, but that does mean to say it is not at risk.

The philosophy is that only characters required to write a language where possible. Even some of those are not going to make the cut.

Are punctuation marks a dingbat?

Rubber Duck
14th October 2007, 06:31 PM
Are punctuation marks a dingbat?

No, but they may not all be permissible. It is likely that the apostrophe will be allow in French, but it is unlikely that inverted question marks or indeed any form of question mark will be allowed.

jacksonm
14th October 2007, 07:13 PM
€.net resolves fine in Firefox, but in IE7 it shows a warning saying something like "this domain contains characters that cannot be displayed with current language settings" and then an option to add new languages, but I somehow doubt there is a language that will accept it....

It might work if you add EN-GB or a European language.

jose
14th October 2007, 07:14 PM
Is ɢ.com a dingbat? (works on unchanged ie7)

domainguru
14th October 2007, 07:47 PM
It might work if you add EN-GB or a European language.

Tried that. Doesn't work. But besides, not to labour the point, symbols like these are on domain death row.

burnsinternet
14th October 2007, 08:41 PM
Is ɢ.com a dingbat? (works on unchanged ie7)

Not a dingbat. Symbols versus scripts.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbols.html

http://www.unicode.org/charts/index.html

phio
14th October 2007, 09:47 PM
Question: What about dingbats as a redirect site. For example if you have copyright.net -- could you redirect it to the dingbat domain ©.net
©.net would show up in the browserbar or the punycode would show.

Note: I'm fairly new to this, but I do have one dingbat that I would like to use
in redirection. Of course if they are cancelled, it doesn't matter.

any thoughts?

burnsinternet
14th October 2007, 09:59 PM
If they resolve and show up in the browser, it would be up for discussion.

However, you don't want to forward from unicode to xn--blahblahblah.net punycode. Bad idea.

I don't think it is worth considering.

phio
14th October 2007, 10:00 PM
Question: What about dingbats as a redirect site. For example if you have copyright.net -- could you redirect it to the dingbat domain ©.net

Note: I'm fairly new to this, but I do have one dingbat that I would like to use

any thoughts?

mulligan
14th October 2007, 10:11 PM

any thoughts?

Yes, IF you own copyright.net or can persuade the owner to do a deal with you

phio
14th October 2007, 11:29 PM
Inverted question mark on the spanish keyboard.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://homepage.mac.com/chinesemac/LatinExtended/graphics/Spanish.jpg&imgrefurl=http://homepage.mac.com/chinesemac/LatinExtended/layouts/Spanish.html&h=320&w=554&sz=40&tbnid=Nq7h4hKfSJyOTM:&tbnh=77&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dspanish%2Bkeyboard%26um%3D1&start=3&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=3

actually being from California, many latinos here use the inverted question mark both in writing and in typing on the keyboard. I have witnessed many cases of this. The inverted question mark is used considerably in California for those (many millions) who write letters back home to Mexico. The inverted question mark in a domain name could be quite effective in differentiating spanish sites with .com or .net extensions especially since it is used in the beginning of a word.

It is a question.

burnsinternet
14th October 2007, 11:55 PM
Yes, the inverted question mark is cool. Having ñ in the domain is also a dead giveaway (e.g. DiseñoGráfico.biz, DiseñoWeb.biz).

We have to live with what we have. If you find something that works, go for it, try it.

jose
26th July 2010, 04:26 AM
Dingbats are alive and kicking!

http://mashable.com/2010/07/24/twitter-trending-topics-chart/

blastfromthepast
26th July 2010, 06:56 AM
Symbol domains are gone from the latest version of nameprep. They will no longer convert to punycode. The only "symbol" domains that are valid are those that are actual characters. Like this one http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/xn--zkr.com/

dave_5
26th July 2010, 02:29 PM
Symbol domains are gone from the latest version of nameprep. They will no longer convert to punycode. The only "symbol" domains that are valid are those that are actual characters. Like this one http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/xn--zkr.com/

Although it’s an actual character it should be deleted from the latest version of nameprep. No need to explain the history behind that character.

What future site could be launched on it? Any site will cause controversy.

Rubber Duck
26th July 2010, 04:27 PM
Although it’s an actual character it should be deleted from the latest version of nameprep. No need to explain the history behind that character.

What future site could be launched on it? Any site will cause controversy.

Well, that cannot happen as ICANN made it clear after the xxx debacle that they are not going to police content.

Furthermore, it is a bit rich for Westerns to usurp and abuse Eastern culture and then try to ban them from using parts of it because we have done things to it that we cannot stomach.

blastfromthepast
27th July 2010, 12:59 AM
Of course it is controversial, historic, and noteworthy, and that is why it is arguably the most widely recognized generic Chinese character in the world, hence, it gets a lot of natural traffic and links from both Europe and Asia.