PDA

View Full Version : Google Reveals RevShare % Data...

bwhhisc
14th October 2007, 11:28 AM
QUOTE: "Guess what? Google’s share has gone down (-29%), domainer’s have basically stayed the same (-3%),
and parking companies revenues have increased around 45% (since Q4 2005)."

http://www.johnon.com/417/domainer-profits.html

QUOTE ON FS BLOG FROM AUTHOR:
My prediction:

"Some very smart person or group of people is going to set up a transparent and very well run "parking" company that will disrupt the current situation in a significant way. My guess is this company will offer variances of parked pages, real mini-sites and Transparent Accounting to those who park their domains with them. Lastly, this company will take a much lower revenue share than other parked companies, and domainers with Traffic will stampede towards them."

http://frankschilling.typepad.com/my_weblog/domain_names_domains/index.html

burnsinternet
14th October 2007, 12:11 PM
1. If Google reduces RPC by 29%, domainers will be driven to develop and sell ad space themselves or build affiliate & adsense sites. Big-time ascii domainers could afford this, but they don't always do it. They will, if pushed. That's what we have been doing (or planning).

2. I wonder if these figures are averaged or if the numbers are the same for everyone across the board?

domainguru
14th October 2007, 01:10 PM
The big story here is that the parking companies ( = middlemen) are making far too much money for what they do. Like all middlemen, they only exist as long as people need them.

As FS says, expect their role / income to reduce significantly in the future.

bwhhisc
14th October 2007, 01:55 PM
1. If Google reduces RPC by 29%, domainers will be driven to develop and sell ad space themselves or build affiliate & adsense sites. Big-time ascii domainers could afford this, but they don't always do it. They will, if pushed. That's what we have been doing (or planning).

2. I wonder if these figures are averaged or if the numbers are the same for everyone across the board?

I think Google is just tired of getting beaten up for being "greedy".
Now that said, these are just % of total revenue numbers so you don't know what the % of the WHOLE number they started with was.
They might be taking a 29% cut on 75% of the pie during a period that the pie grew another 50% anyway. :o
So Google revenues could be way, way, way UP too!

domainguru
14th October 2007, 02:06 PM
I think Google is just tired of getting beaten up for being "greedy".
Now that said, these are just % of total revenue numbers so you don't know what the % of the WHOLE number they started with was.
They might be taking a 29% cut on 75% of the pie during a period that the pie grew another 50% anyway. :o
So Google revenues could be way, way, way UP too!

If Google really were tired of being beaten up for being greedy, they would reduce the amount they take on Adsense, because they take every last cent they can on that.

Just goes to prove once again that real competition is essential in any free market, and currently in most markets, Google has little or no competition when it comes to PPC.

bwhhisc
14th October 2007, 02:18 PM
If Google really were tired of being beaten up for being greedy, they would reduce the amount they take on Adsense, because they take every last cent they can on that.

Just goes to prove once again that real competition is essential in any free market, and currently in most markets, Google has little or no competition when it comes to PPC.

Maybe Microsoft will end up to be the 900 pound gorilla that levels the playing field :p

touchring
14th October 2007, 02:27 PM
The big story here is that the parking companies ( = middlemen) are making far too much money for what they do. Like all middlemen, they only exist as long as people need them.

As FS says, expect their role / income to reduce significantly in the future.

This isn't news.

I think anyone of us running adsense minisites already know that parking providers are ripping us off. Parking revenue keeps decreasing.

I should start moving more sites out of parking.

domainguru
14th October 2007, 03:14 PM
This isn't news.

I think anyone of us running adsense minisites already know that parking providers are ripping us off. Parking revenue keeps decreasing.

I should start moving more sites out of parking.

The problem is that Adsense is just a big a rip-off as Google take far more out of that than they do for parking clicks. We had one ASCII name making $15 to $20 a day from parking, and we then built a real site, quadrupled visitor numbers and still ended up making far less. The reason? Adsense started paying us $0.15 per click when we used to get $1 per click parking.

Hopefully Yahoo! can get their act together with YPN but it doesn't look good. It has been in "beta" for ages, and even that is just for the US market. Microsoft don't show any signs of being able to compete either .....

bwhhisc
14th October 2007, 04:10 PM
Microsoft don't show any signs of being able to compete either .....
Some rumours are they are in "Trojan Horse" mode on this project.

touchring
14th October 2007, 04:13 PM
The problem is that Adsense is just a big a rip-off as Google take far more out of that than they do for parking clicks. We had one ASCII name making $15 to $20 a day from parking, and we then built a real site, quadrupled visitor numbers and still ended up making far less. The reason? Adsense started paying us $0.15 per click when we used to get $1 per click parking.

Hopefully Yahoo! can get their act together with YPN but it doesn't look good. It has been in "beta" for ages, and even that is just for the US market. Microsoft don't show any signs of being able to compete either .....

Has anyone tried YPN? There are so many American here, someone must have tried YPN with their ministe? I remembered that Gary used YPN for his Thai name for a moment?

rhys
14th October 2007, 05:29 PM
Has anyone tried YPN? There are so many American here, someone must have tried YPN with their ministe? I remembered that Gary used YPN for his Thai name for a moment?

YPN is unlikely to be opened to the peasants like ourselves. It's only for large publishers and will likely remain so.

domainguru
14th October 2007, 05:37 PM
YPN is unlikely to be opened to the peasants like ourselves. It's only for large publishers and will likely remain so.

It is also only for American, non-adult traffic, so we'll gloss over how it was ever applied to a Thai domain with adult traffic....