PDA

View Full Version : Chinese idn.com to benefit if there is no dname.

touchring
15th October 2007, 04:56 PM
Chinese idn.com will benefit if there is no dname!

Because any promotion work done for idn.idn will end up giving free traffic to idn.com.

Take example, if they decide to issue a chinese .idn (e.g. .商务 or .commerce), the .com will get the traffic instead. Any chinese reader will know that a name like 花店.商务 (flowershop.commercial) is crappy. 花店.com looks much nicer.

Compare:

花店.com
花店.商务

tell me, which looks more pleasant? remember that chinese characters are full words, so 花店.商务 is flowershop.commerce.

Explorer
15th October 2007, 05:16 PM
Any IDN.IDN promotion will benefit IDN.com, as it increases user's propensity to type in native language. So, it should benefit the other IDN.coms as well.

Asiaplay
15th October 2007, 05:38 PM
Touchring... .com will go IDN.IDN (as will the other extensions).

The boys and I sat down over baijiu and agreed it the other night... on the 3rd bottle we all decided on calling it .comrade... as sort of fits nicely and looks great - needless to say we were all calling each other 同志 by that time as well!!!...;) ).

花点。同志

LOL - stop worrying my friend... what will be, will be...

Take care and cheers, Asiaplay

PS: I am sure Explorer agrees with his choice of icon here :)

touchring
15th October 2007, 05:39 PM
Any IDN.IDN promotion will benefit IDN.com, as it increases user's propensity to type in native language. So, it should benefit the other IDN.coms as well.

Sure, but it will benefit chinese most as there is no chinese translation or transliteration for dot com.

To understand, one must know a bit of Mandarin. There is no character or combination of 2 characters that can even vaguely sound like COM.

Rubber Duck
15th October 2007, 05:40 PM
Chinese IDN.IDN will have much more resonance if there is only a single character after the dot. Chinese talk in couplets but the dot is part of the couplet. Also Chinese use two symbols for given names but only one for Surnames. Having two and then two separated by the dot just isn't going to flow naturally.

Because any promotion work done for idn.idn will end up giving free traffic to idn.com.

Take example, if they decide to issue a chinese .idn (e.g. .商务 or .commerce), the .com will get the traffic instead. Any chinese reader will know that a name like 花店.商务 (flowershop.commercial) is crappy. 花店.com looks much nicer.

Compare:

花店.com
花店.商务

tell me, which looks more pleasant? remember that chinese characters are full words, so 花店.商务 is flowershop.commerce.

zenmarketing
15th October 2007, 06:03 PM
Long live .net dname mapping to 。网

It's the only hope for a reasonable .IDN extension. Everything else sounds ridiculous.

Rubber Duck
15th October 2007, 06:05 PM

It's the only hope for a reasonable .IDN extension. Everything else sounds ridiculous.

I managed to get this point across to the top man at Verisign sometime ago.

We will see whether they listened.

touchring
15th October 2007, 06:06 PM

Yes, but 。网 still loses to 。com.

Rubber Duck
15th October 2007, 06:08 PM

But Dot Com does lose out at all if all other Version are pointed straight at it!

Anyway you are all missing the point. DNAME is just a form of delivery of Aliasing. It is not the principle of Aliasing.

Asiaplay
15th October 2007, 07:19 PM
But Dot Com does lose out at all if all other Version are pointed straight at it!

Anyway you are all missing the point. DNAME is just a form of delivery of Aliasing. It is not the principle of Aliasing.

Exactly Rubberduck... which is why it is a political race which is yet to hit the tables... it will be decided on how smart Verisign and others who run the gTLD extensions are (and how well informed they are on languages and the possible best IDN extensions) and on whether those who control each language (i.e. Governments) agree with their proposed choices or challenge them into the ground.

This is why "comrade" was also a pun on the politics to come as well as a play on communism and .com (and perhaps drunken nights getting support - lol)...

Cheers, Asiaplay

PS: hopefully this is sorted out quickly - but with this possible scenario above, this may be worse than deciding if DNAME was safe or would break the Internet and make DNAME process look like a walk in the park!

All I know is I am unlikely to be called for consultation - so I will go with the flow on this (you on the other hand seem to be friends with Versign's top lad - so perhaps should be discussing with them in more depth ;)).

Rubber Duck
15th October 2007, 07:23 PM
You are working on a false premise if you assume Government control languages.

Exactly Rubberduck... which is why it is a political race which is yet to hit the tables... it will be decided on how smart Verisign and others who run the gTLD extensions are (and how well informed they are on languages and the possible best IDN extensions) and on whether those who control each language (i.e. Governments) agree with their proposed choices or challenge them into the ground.

This is why "comrade" was also a pun on the politics to come as well as a play on communism and .com (and perhaps drunken nights getting support - lol)...

Cheers, Asiaplay

PS: hopefully this is sorted out quickly - but with this possible scenario above, this may be worse than deciding if DNAME was safe or would break the Internet and make DNAME process look like a walk in the park!

All I know is I am unlikely to be called for consultation - so I will go with the flow on this (you on the other hand seem to be friends with Versign's top lad - so perhaps should be discussing with them in more depth ;)).

Asiaplay
15th October 2007, 07:32 PM
You are working on a false premise if you assume Government control languages.

Like to see you explain that to the Chinese Government for Simplified Chinese - lol - haha... ;)

No problem Rubberduck - ya will win in the end... and deserve to... as been the number one advocate for IDNs as I see it, for a long time (and have the guts to put ya money where your mouth is - so have my respect and hope all ends up win/win)...

Cheers, Asiaplay

sakillll
16th October 2007, 06:56 AM
花店.網 better than 花店.商務
but it's hard to compare 花店.網 with 花店.com

touchring
16th October 2007, 07:25 AM
花店.網 better than 花店.商務
but it's hard to compare 花店.網 with 花店.com

Using Mandarin (pinyin),

1. hua dian dian wang.

2. hua dian dian com.

One question, is 花店網.com (hua dian wang dian com) better than 花店.網 ?

.com is an extension, the chinese language already uses latin for many extensions like NT$, kg, cm, HK$, m, etc.

sakillll
16th October 2007, 08:11 AM
.網 is really a nice extension.
maybe many people have no idn.com will cause people into idn.網
beause no need to switch keybord and sound good and say,
also .網 means web site but .net not(actually it is but it is not in chinese)

Using Mandarin (pinyin),

1. hua dian dian wang.

2. hua dian dian com.

One question, is 花店網.com (hua dian wang dian com) better than 花店.網 ?

.com is an extension, the chinese language already uses latin for many extensions like NT$, kg, cm, HK$, m, etc.

touchring
16th October 2007, 08:29 AM
.網 is really a nice extension.
maybe many people have no idn.com will cause people into idn.網
beause no need to switch keybord and sound good and say,
also .網 means web site but .net not(actually it is but it is not in chinese)

I don't need to switch keyboard to type chinese.com, not sure if you tried that?

Firefox supported this from the beginning, and i think IE7 also right now. They basically automatically switch keys for you, after typing the DOT.

--> ok i checked, this seems to work only for quanyin ime and only for firefox.

Prodigy
16th October 2007, 11:29 AM
Are you posting because you're worried about all the activity going on at Domain.cn?

http://www.domain.cn/club/viewthread.php?tid=316771&extra=page%3D1

Compare:

花店.com
花店.商务

sakillll
16th October 2007, 12:26 PM
I don't need to switch keyboard to type chinese.com, not sure if you tried that?

Firefox supported this from the beginning, and i think IE7 also right now. They basically automatically switch keys for you, after typing the DOT.

--> ok i checked, this seems to work only for quanyin ime and only for firefox.
I don't need to switch keybord as well.
but we can't represent all the chinese people.

Firefox was not full support for IDN
refer to this thread: http://www.idnclub.com/showthread.php?t=5241

(for others member:I wouldn't like to translate all the thread):p

touchring
16th October 2007, 12:41 PM
Are you posting because you're worried about all the activity going on at Domain.cn?

http://www.domain.cn/club/viewthread.php?tid=316771&extra=page%3D1

I'm not worried, these are domainers, they are busy drop catching .cn to flip, and will vote for whatever they are currently trying to sell.

Btw, i list the thread titles on the first 3 pages of the forum that uses .cn and .中国. .com excluded. You can count the number of .cn versus .中国.

They are at the liberty to use either form:

时尚.CN 接受报价 -> .CN
志愿者.中国 大家评评 -> .中国
有人认识这个人吗,俞灏明.CN,认识的亏本价格100元拿去 - [阅读权限 1] -> .CN
易名中文.cn预定到底什么规则? -> .CN
海口房产.cn ( 1 2 ) -> .CN
巴彦淖尔.中国 街机.中国 搜刮.中国 3D彩票.中国出售 -> .中国
我想卖一个域名 性息.cn 300元. -> .CN
医学医药.中国(300W) -> .中国
纪实.cn -> .CN
“公务机.com/.net/.cn”大全套,欢迎搭乘公务机 -> .CN
百度热门竟价词:节电产品.cn 100元出让了,不准备要了 -> .CN
水口卫浴.cn -> .CN
谁知道哪里的中文.CN注册最便宜? -> .CN
我查后未注册中文.cn米表,有没有你喜欢的 - [阅读权限 5] -> .CN
推荐一个 免验证码的whois查询工具 (支持中文.cn) -> .CN
我的领地.cn - 100元就出手 -> .CN

Prodigy
16th October 2007, 01:03 PM
Have you been watching the forum over the last 2 days?

I'm not worried, these are domainers, they are busy drop catching .cn to flip, and will vote for whatever they are currently trying to sell.

Btw, i list the thread titles on the first 3 pages of the forum that uses .cn and .中国. .com excluded. You can count the number of .cn versus .中国.

They are at the liberty to use either form:

时尚.CN 接受报价 -> .CN
志愿者.中国 大家评评 -> .中国
有人认识这个人吗,俞灏明.CN,认识的亏本价格100元拿去 - [阅读权限 1] -> .CN
易名中文.cn预定到底什么规则? -> .CN
海口房产.cn ( 1 2 ) -> .CN
巴彦淖尔.中国 街机.中国 搜刮.中国 3D彩票.中国出售 -> .中国
我想卖一个域名 性息.cn 300元. -> .CN
医学医药.中国(300W) -> .中国
纪实.cn -> .CN
“公务机.com/.net/.cn”大全套,欢迎搭乘公务机 -> .CN
百度热门竟价词:节电产品.cn 100元出让了,不准备要了 -> .CN
水口卫浴.cn -> .CN
谁知道哪里的中文.CN注册最便宜? -> .CN
我查后未注册中文.cn米表,有没有你喜欢的 - [阅读权限 5] -> .CN
推荐一个 免验证码的whois查询工具 (支持中文.cn) -> .CN
我的领地.cn - 100元就出手 -> .CN

Rubber Duck
16th October 2007, 01:35 PM
Experience has shown that domainers are capable of spouting rubbish for years let alone a couple of days. When the dust dies down, then you will be able to figure out what the damage is.

Giant
16th October 2007, 02:26 PM
I don't think Chinastar's Chinese reading skill is good enough to understand this Chinese thread. The title of the thread is to compare: Chinese.cn, Chinese.gongsi, Chinese.network in the future. "将来中文.中国、中文.公司、中文.网络 哪个最好?"

What the poster has confused people is his wild imagination that CNNIC will certainly lose the .公司 and .网络 IDN extensions to VeriSign while in reality CNNIC is still selling .公司 and .网络.

The main opinion in this thread is: CNNIC will be forced to use .公司.cn and .网络.cn instead of .公司 and .网络, and VeriSign will pick up .公司 and .网络 for .com and .net. If this happens, .com and .net will benefit from the traffic that CNNIC have been creating through their current .公司 and .网络.

Rubber Duck
16th October 2007, 02:29 PM
Find that hard to believe! The guy has three degrees. :p

Prodigy
16th October 2007, 02:39 PM
Experience has shown that domainers are capable of spouting rubbish for years let alone a couple of days. When the dust dies down, then you will be able to figure out what the damage is.

I hope you keep this phrase close to heart because it will probably be the most ironic thing you've ever said in this lifetime.

Giant, we all know where you stand and are invested in.

"都是文字的不好,还是中文.com这样好"

Can you read this selection? 6 Votes, runner up. Sorry, no prize for second place.

RD, I would probably hire a proper translator before you make snide comments, I really did enjoy your laughable commentary on linguistics.

Blind leading the blind. Carry on.

touchring
16th October 2007, 02:42 PM
This poll seems alright, but the interesting part is:

都是文字的不好,还是中文.com这样好 6 (17.14%)

chinese.com has 6 votes.

中文.公司最好(和中文.com通用) 5 (14.29%)

chinese.gongsi has 5 votes.

So 11 votes, which to me is enough. This shows that 中文.com has a place.

Actually, I must point out I don't mind .cn, as long as the acquisition cost is fair - i'm willing to take the risk of deletion, and the costly renewals. As matter of fact, i buy .cn.

Prodigy
16th October 2007, 02:56 PM
BTW, I know that some of you move around the other Chinese threads, sometimes its nice to share:

中文域名最新消息和报道

专家称国际化域名测试不包括COM、NET2007-10-15 10:12 作者: 出处: 天极网 责任编辑:潘舒赟

美国时间10月15日,在互联网域名管理组织ICANN的推动下,包括繁简体中文等11种语言在内的国际化域名IDN(Internationalized Domain Names)将在真实的根服务器环境下运行测试,自15日起,全世界华人可用“例子.测试”和“例子.測試”繁简体中文登录ICANN特别用于国际化域名测试的wiki网站(网站地址)。有关专家表示,多语种域名引入全球域名体系的进程正在加速,“中文。中国”简繁体全中文域名浮出水面。

专家还澄清了此前媒体报道的一个失误,专家表示,此次测试的域名是“.”后面的非英语后缀,COM、NET等域名属于英语后缀,不在测试范围内。此前媒体报道却大谈对com等域名的带来的影响,属于无中生有。

中、俄、日以及一些阿拉伯国家是提倡使用自己的文字而非英语来创造国家顶级域名的强势推动者。中国相关法律已经规定将“中文。中国”、“中文。公司”和“中文。网络”与“中文.CN”一并纳入中国中文域名体系之下,目前正在中国推行的“中文.COM”、“中文.NET”因无法获得同等意义的中文后缀而无法实现全中文化,因此可能走向边缘化。“中文。中国”、全中文域名将成为中国下一代互联网地址的主流。

目前注册“中文.CN”的用户可同时免费获赠“中文。中国”简体和繁体中文域名。专家表示,一旦全中文域名在全球推广普及,丰富的中文资源和完全母语的语言环境将打破英语语言障碍,给我国互联网经济的发展带来新的机遇。

据了解,在2006年10月,ICANN就对国际化域名进行虚拟根服务器环境实验室测试, 10月15日启动的测试将基于真实的根服务器环境,将繁简体中文、阿拉伯文、日文、韩文、俄文和希腊文等11种语言纳入测试计划,便于世界各国网民参与测试的wiki网站将同步启用,使用不同语言的网民可用“例子.测试”、“مثال.إختبار”、“例え.テスト”等完全非英语形式的域名登录网站参与测试。

ICANN总裁Poul Twomey也表示:“本次测试是ICANN推行IDN进程中最重要的一步,它将是互联网最重大的变化之一。”这次IDN测试是互联网历史上第一次将多种语言引入顶级域名后缀,目标在于实现完全非英语的顶级域名。测试完成后,以“中文。中国”简繁体全中文域名为主要形式的完全非英语文字的顶级域名将开始在全球范围普及应用,全世界使用阿拉伯文、中文、日文、法文等非英语语言的网民都可以使用自己的语言文字登录互联网,从而消除各国互联网发展的英语语言障碍,推动互联网发展。

Key points from this article are bolded.

I'm struggling with my poor Chinese but I think I see the words Chinese ".com" and ".net" in the same sentence as the word "alienated"

and then I see the words Chinese ".China" situated next to the word Mainstream.

But hey, don't ask me, I only have 3 degrees.

BTW, Giant, you might want to help your buddy Markits out on Domain.cn, Chinese IDN.com is taking it like a bXXXX in heat.

touchring
16th October 2007, 03:09 PM
So, this means that my .gongsi are not junk? Almost everyone on this forum, and on domain.cn thinks that .gongsi are junk.

Giant
16th October 2007, 03:19 PM
This poll seems alright, but the interesting part is:

chinese.com has 6 votes.

chinese.gongsi has 5 votes.

So 11 votes, which to me is enough. This shows that 中文.com has a place.

Actually, I must point out I don't mind .cn, as long as the acquisition cost is fair - i'm willing to take the risk of deletion, and the costly renewals. As matter of fact, i buy .cn.

Not all Chinese write proper Chinese. This Chinese poster writes very badly.

中文.中国最好(和中文.cn 通用)
中文.公司最好(和中文.com通用)
中文.网络最好(和中文.net 通用)

He is comparing 中文.中国, 中文.公司, 中文.网络 but with "(和中文.com通用)" and "(和中文.net 通用)". These notes are not enough to clear the confusion. He can make his polls more understandable if he writes "If .公司 is an alias for .com".

BTW, Giant, you might want to help your buddy Markits out on Domain.cn, Chinese IDN.com is taking it like a bXXXX in heat.

Thanks for the info, but I talk domain only on this forum.

Hey Markits, why bother arguing with newbies?

zenmarketing
16th October 2007, 09:08 PM

That's OK, I have plenty of both.

Rubber Duck
16th October 2007, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=zenmarketing]That's OK, I have plenty of both.[/QUOTE

Prudent strategy to spread things around a bit.

Looking at some of the other languages will spread the risk further without diluting the potential gains.

zenmarketing
16th October 2007, 09:56 PM
Looking at some of the other languages will spread the risk further without diluting the potential gains.

Good point:

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/13916-diversification-trades.html

I'm now looking for trades into other languages to diversify.

I have too many Chinese names and only some Japanese. Looking for Arabics mainly, but will look at others too.

Wot
17th October 2007, 12:06 AM
That's OK, I have plenty of both.

I hear that they will do away with all the original thoughts, no idn.com. no idn.idn etc and just go with IDN.mobi - cos it looks nice. :p

zenmarketing
17th October 2007, 01:21 AM
I hear that they will do away with all the original thoughts, no idn.com. no idn.idn etc and just go with IDN.mobi - cos it looks nice. :p

As long as it gets DNAME'd to 中文。手机 :)