PDA

View Full Version : IDN spoofing solutions with balance

jacksonm
18th October 2007, 10:10 AM
A few years old, but still an excellent article. Purportedly from the inventor of IDN himself.

http://www.proper.com/lookit/archives/000302.html

domainguru
18th October 2007, 10:22 AM
Yep. Very logical and workable solution. He gets one thing wrong though when discussing which browser would show the most support for IDNs:

"Thus, my greatest hope is for Mozilla, who has consistently shown a great concern for getting internationalization right."

Oops!!

btw, that site is Paul Hoffman's blog site. He is indeed who he says he is.

jacksonm
18th October 2007, 10:33 AM
Yep. Very logical and workable solution. He gets one thing wrong though when discussing which browser would show the most support for IDNs:

"Thus, my greatest hope is for Mozilla, who has consistently shown a great concern for getting internationalization right."

Oops!!

btw, that site is Paul Hoffman's blog site. He is indeed who he says he is.

Also some discussion in this thread... Not a lot seems to have happened since then.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/archives/007556.html

domainguru
18th October 2007, 10:42 AM
Mozilla have only been able to get away with their "policy" for so long because of the general view that IDNs don't exist yet, so IDN policies really don't matter a hoot.

Hopefully with the publicity about IDNs building all the time, some kind of intelligent resolution must happen and people will start seeing IDN.com in their firefox browser. or perhaps I live in la la land ....

jacksonm
18th October 2007, 10:47 AM
Mozilla have only been able to get away with their "policy" for so long because of the general view that IDNs don't exist yet, so IDN policies really don't matter a hoot.

Hopefully with the publicity about IDNs building all the time, some kind of intelligent resolution must happen and people will start seeing IDN.com in their firefox browser. or perhaps I live in la la land ....

Or perhaps they just consider that the Anglo market is big enough for them.

Rubber Duck
18th October 2007, 11:48 AM
Or perhaps they just consider that the Anglo market is big enough for them.

That is Dead Meat Policy. Even Microsoft seem to have abandoned that strategy!