PDA

View Full Version : Spectulators are out in force now

jacksonm
19th October 2007, 07:40 AM
Anybody else observing what appears to be speculators going across your parked portfolios?

My stuff at namedrive seems to be getting hit by speculators. Yesterday, for example, every one of my japanese.biz got hit.

thegenius1
19th October 2007, 07:47 AM
I'am not a speculator , I have just went back to the Future !

bwhhisc
19th October 2007, 09:53 AM
Anybody else observing what appears to be speculators going across your parked portfolios? My stuff at namedrive seems to be getting hit by speculators. Yesterday, for example, every one of my japanese.biz got hit.

Speculators or bots? How do you know.

domainguru
19th October 2007, 10:00 AM
Presumably bots controlled by speculators ....

Wot
19th October 2007, 10:14 AM
Specubots :)

bwhhisc
19th October 2007, 10:16 AM
Speculators versus a single person running scripts is a big difference.

domainguru
19th October 2007, 10:21 AM
Speculators versus a single person running scripts is a big difference.

Well, if someone says "every one of my Japanese .biz names got hit", then I would presume that isn't someone or some people frantically typing into their browser, but rather a script being run. But who is running the script? A speculator finding out which names are regged in the .biz domain in order to pick up any outstanding unregged terms.

So as Wot put it so nicely, a specubot.

bwhhisc
19th October 2007, 10:25 AM
Well, if someone says "every one of my Japanese .biz names got hit", then I would presume that isn't someone or some people frantically typing into their browser, but rather a script being run. But who is running the script? A speculator finding out which names are regged in the .biz domain in order to pick up any outstanding unregged terms.
So as Wot put it so nicely, a specubot.

Sure seems it would be easier to run bulk checks on the registrars versus sorting this out by seeing if there are websites or parking pages. Unless it is the statisticsbot. A lot of the .biz would show false positives if they are not parked yet.

domainguru
19th October 2007, 10:31 AM
Sure seems it would be easier to run bulk checks on the registrars versus sorting this out by seeing if there are websites or parking pages. Unless it is the statisticsbot. A lot of the .biz would show false positives if they are not parked yet.

Actually, hitting individual websites is a very good way to rule out any domain that resolves in the DNS. Why? Because you aren't hitting one single server, so don't run into so many "limits". You can check hundreds of thousand of names a day that way from a single machine, though you will still hit limits of big parking servers like Namedrive.

bwhhisc
19th October 2007, 10:41 AM
Actually, hitting individual websites is a very good way to rule out any domain that resolves in the DNS. Why? Because you aren't hitting one single server, so don't run into so many "limits". You can check hundreds of thousand of names a day that way from a single machine, though you will still hit limits of big parking servers like Namedrive.

I am learning everyday. Thanks :)

burnsinternet
19th October 2007, 02:11 PM
All my .biz were hit, too. An obvious bot. On the good side, traffic is still doing better and better. Russian, of course, leads the pack. French and Japanese improving bit by bit.

jacksonm
23rd October 2007, 12:45 PM
All my .biz were hit, too. An obvious bot. On the good side, traffic is still doing better and better. Russian, of course, leads the pack. French and Japanese improving bit by bit.

Yesterday they raked over my Chinese, today over my Arabics.

I wonder if this is a result of the ICANN wiki publicity and the associated posts on native blogs, etc, or is this one of our new members... I guess I will need to do some analysis on my DNS logfiles to find out.

thegenius1
23rd October 2007, 12:49 PM
I guess I will need to do some analysis on my DNS logfiles to find out.

Keep us posted