PDA

View Full Version : No advantage to us if idn.idn comes out before IE7 auto.

touchring
19th October 2007, 10:16 AM
I was thinking about this the other day. It will be of no advantage to us if idn.idn comes out before IE7 auto upgrade.

What do you guys think?

bwhhisc
19th October 2007, 10:21 AM
Is this presuming idn.jp does not become idn.idn and is a whole new extension?
How fast can that really happen and what is the typical sunrise period?

Seems the .jp brand is the equal to .com according to members here.
Some may be in favor of keeping idn.jp along with ascii.jp.

touchring
19th October 2007, 10:28 AM
Is this presuming idn.jp does not become idn.idn and is a whole new extension?

Impossible.

Seems the .jp brand is the equal to .com according to members here.

I don't know about .jp verus .com, but what i'm quite confident is that idn.cn will be worth more than idn.jp in the medium term - and in fact, historical transacted prices for ascii .cn are higher than .jp equivalent.

bwhhisc
19th October 2007, 10:38 AM
Impossible.

Why impossible?
What information says idn.jp is destined to stay idn.jp (as in ascii.ascii).
Everything is up for grabs at this point it seems.

mulligan
19th October 2007, 10:55 AM
Impossible.

I don't know about .jp verus .com, but what i'm quite confident is that idn.cn will be worth more than idn.jp in the medium term - and in fact, historical transacted prices for ascii .cn are higher than .jp equivalent.

While I like your prediction I would have to disagree with it .. purely from the fact of the number of offers I have had for Japanese IDN.jp from native Japanese.

Whilst saying that I hold a relatively small number of IDN.jp compared to others but it is my opinion that IDN.jp will be more popular amongst native Japanese than IDN.com

Why would I say that?
I would like to refer you to a case in point .. .co.uk

It has been said that a person searching for a service etc will rather look for said service in their own country ...
I have some very good Japanese.com IDN and yet have received very little interest in them from people native to Japan ... Why are they interested only in my IDN.jp? Do they know something I don't?

There are agendas on this forum that have little to nothing to do with the furthering of IDNs as an accepted idea across the internet and I think that most of us should have recognised it for what it is...

touchring
19th October 2007, 10:59 AM
Why impossible?

Your question was "idn.jp does not become idn.idn and is a whole new extension?".

Already, idn.cn is mapped to idn.idn, there is already a precedence.

While I like your prediction I would have to disagree with it .. purely from the fact of the number of offers I have had for Japanese IDN.jp from native Japanese.

Whilst saying that I hold a relatively small number of IDN.jp compared to others but it is my opinion that IDN.jp will be more popular amongst native Japanese than IDN.com

Why would I say that?

It has been said that a person searching for a service etc will rather look for said service in their own country ...
I have some very good Japanese.com IDN and yet have received very little interest in them from people native to Japan ... Why are they interested only in my IDN.jp? Do they know something I don't?

There are agendas on this forum that have little to nothing to do with the furthering of IDNs as an accepted idea across the internet and I think that most of us should have recognised it for what it is...

You don't agree that idn.cn will be worth more than idn.jp in the medium term?

bwhhisc
19th October 2007, 11:01 AM
Your question was "idn.jp does not become idn.idn and is a whole new extension?".

Already, idn.cn is mapped to idn.idn, there is already a precedence.

So...you are saying that idn.jp will most certainly map to idn.idn (since idn.cn maps to idn.idn).
Each registrar will decide that individually but this is probable for jp as well.

So back to original question...you are suggesting an "ALL NEW" idn.idn will be created, sunrised, and released that would
be equal to either "translated" extensions? That would certainly bring legal challenges from .com and/or .jp holders.

touchring
19th October 2007, 11:04 AM
So...you are saying that idn.jp will most certainly map to idn.idn (since idn.cn maps to idn.idn)

I believe it will be mapped. I speak what i think.

bwhhisc
19th October 2007, 11:08 AM
I believe it will be mapped. I speak what i think.
I also believe the same. Hopefully aliased and you get both jp and =idn.

touchring
19th October 2007, 11:10 AM
So back to original question...you are suggesting an "ALL NEW" idn.idn will be created, sunrised, and released that would
be equal to either "translated" extensions? That would certainly bring legal challenges from .com and/or .jp holders.

This is unlikely but not an impossibility altogether. It will screw all IDNs (even the idn.idn) as it will bring confusion as to what IDNs really are. In face of ambiguity, ASCII will win.

mulligan
19th October 2007, 11:27 AM
You don't agree that idn.cn will be worth more than idn.jp in the medium term?
In the medium term? Take a look at what has happened recently with regards to IDN.cn ... domains getting deleted for reasons not really known to the holders?
You really want to hold loan.cn or loan.jp?
As it stands at this moment in time IDN.cn .. if it is regarded as a potential winner in the long term and may at some point conflict with what the Chinese government want then it will be taken away from you .. this is what I have seen .. there have been conflicting reports from various people on this forum about how their domains were taken away .. no explaination as to the whys and wherefores but taken away nonetheless ...

Basically ... the way I see it is if you own a generic IDN.cn then it is gonna be taken away ... maybe not today or tomorrow but when they realise its a (and I use this word carefully) PREMIUM word.cn then it's byebye ... You will have 'violated' the unseen, unknown rules

If I owned bank.cn I would be worried
If I owned flowers.cn I would be worried
If I owned cars.cn I would be worried
etc etc etc

At the end of the day .. you have to have confidence in the market you are trading in .... .cn does not instill confidence .. regardless of the 'premium' word before the extension

Rubber Duck
19th October 2007, 11:42 AM
Why impossible?

If they have both then they will both be diminished. This would be a very positive thing for dot com. Brand confusion amongst your competitors is like having all your Christmases arrive at once!

Why would I say that?

Different case. The Japanese don't have anyone else sharing and bastardising their language.

touchring
19th October 2007, 12:42 PM
Well, that's why i said "medium term", because it is only valuable to you if you own it in the end.

I do not discount the possibility that it will get deleted or stolen by your registrar before the laws are in place.

China is changing fast, only not too long ago no one can own real estate, but people still bought them without title deeds. High risk, but also high gain! The .cn of today is like the Chinese real estate of the past -- they don't come with title deeds. :o

btw, i'm thihnking of ways to capture proof of ownership of my .cn names, in case i'll need it to fight back my names. Anyone has any good idea?

In the medium term? Take a look at what has happened recently with regards to IDN.cn ... domains getting deleted for reasons not really known to the holders?
You really want to hold loan.cn or loan.jp?
As it stands at this moment in time IDN.cn .. if it is regarded as a potential winner in the long term and may at some point conflict with what the Chinese government want then it will be taken away from you .. this is what I have seen .. there have been conflicting reports from various people on this forum about how their domains were taken away .. no explaination as to the whys and wherefores but taken away nonetheless ...

mulligan
19th October 2007, 01:14 PM
China is changing fast, only not too long ago no one can own real estate, but people still bought them without title deeds. High risk, but also high gain! The .cn of today is like the Chinese real estate of the past -- they don't come with title deeds. :o Fast you say? Best of luck ...

How fast would you say they were changing when they have made it clear to the US that when they awarded the Congressional Gold Medal to the Dali Lama was a big mistake?

If you call such official response's to this a 'fast changing country' then you are unfortunately mistaken.

touchring
19th October 2007, 01:28 PM
Fast you say? Best of luck ...

How fast would you say they were changing when they have made it clear to the US that when they awarded the Congressional Gold Medal to the Dali Lama was a big mistake?

If you call such official response's to this a 'fast changing country' then you are unfortunately mistaken.

This is politics. Russia formalized an alliance with Iran.

Bush cannot sit around and do nothing.

Amendment: Ops, no, i forgot, he said WWWIII.

mulligan
20th October 2007, 10:47 AM
This is politics. Russia formalized an alliance with Iran.

Bush cannot sit around and do nothing.

Amendment: Ops, no, i forgot, he said WWWIII.

So the Bush administration would rather keep the Tibetans onside than the Chinese?

If you could see past the 'pulic relations' coup that it is in an attempt to keep so called dempcratic 'westerrn superpowers' on board and on the 'same side' in the 'war against terror' then it might not be as cloudy an issue ..
Why is Gordon Brown at this moment in time trying to distance himself from US policy in Iraq? .. Troops will be taken home and withdrawn from the fucked up mess that is Iraq?
Maybe in preparation for a US invasion of Iran ?
Oil prices are getting out of control and why do you think that is?
Is the US on a war footing against Iran?
Will we see another invasion based on 'weapons of mass destruction'?
More lies perpetrated by Western governments to further their best interests .. fed to a willing public who want to believe such propoganda?

Excuse the more questions than answers but they are issues that need to be looked at .. regardless of your political / financial / personal affilations

Rubber Duck
20th October 2007, 11:05 AM
Bush couldn't give a toss about the Dali Lama. His intention was to snub China, so he can distract the press from his economic mess. China has duly noted the insult. Quite why you would wish to insult your lender of last resort in this way, I don't know. Without China, Bush could not have financed the war against Iraq, let alone with Iran.

Fast you say? Best of luck ...

thegenius1
20th October 2007, 03:02 PM
.jp hands down vs. .cn

mulligan
20th October 2007, 03:06 PM
.jp hands down

Why?

thegenius1
20th October 2007, 03:08 PM
Why?

Most of the reasons you already covered. And not to mention .jp's that i know about that sold for low xx,xxx

touchring
20th October 2007, 03:36 PM
Bush couldn't give a toss about the Dali Lama. His intention was to snub China, so he can distract the press from his economic mess. China has duly noted the insult. Quite why you would wish to insult your lender of last resort in this way, I don't know. Without China, Bush could not have financed the war against Iraq, let alone with Iran.

Bush is not worried about China (his Fortune 500s are making good money there both ways - selling and buying). America is banging on China to finance it's 401k. Bush and Nato are worried about Russia.