PDA

View Full Version : Receiving offers from Korean?

touchring
19th October 2007, 07:06 PM
Like everyone, i got very few Korean names (about 2 dozen), but still receive offers ocassionally - the proportion of native offers versus number of names is many many many times more than other languages.

Yesterday got 2, looks like some sort of canned message sent out in bulk.

It goes like this:

####Offer in Korean####

Re: Domain Name: XN--XXXXX.COM

Can I buy this domain for US$ 1,000.00 ?

Thank you for your response.

Anyone got tihs also? Drew?

Fka200
19th October 2007, 07:10 PM
I remember when I tried to buy on the secondary market I just sent out the same messages to a lot of people. Might be legit.

mwbseiso
19th October 2007, 07:29 PM
This could be old news, but I'll share it anyway ---

As Fka200, this could be legit (I've sent similar letters too!). That said, sometimes you get approached by scammers telling you they'll pay $3k for one of your domains under the condition that you agree to have it appraised formally. They go further by requiring you appraise with a certain "appraisal company", telling you that this company is the best in the market. They even go through the trouble of sending you links to fake forum threads where they discuss the best appraisal services. It's all a scam - as soon as you pay them the appraisal fee, they disappear.

sunsei21
19th October 2007, 07:33 PM
Like everyone, i got very few Korean names (about 2 dozen), but still receive offers ocassionally - the proportion of native offers versus number of names is many many many times more than other languages.

lol so modest the few are quite good if i remeber right :)

This could be old news, but I'll share it anyway ---

As Fka200, this could be legit (I've sent similar letters too!). That said, sometimes you get approached by scammers telling you they'll pay $3k for one of your domains under the condition that you agree to have it appraised formally. They go further by requiring you appraise with a certain "appraisal company", telling you that this company is the best in the market. They even go through the trouble of sending you links to fake forum threads where they discuss the best appraisal services. It's all a scam - as soon as you pay them the appraisal fee, they disappear.

i fell for this scam when i first started in ascii has it made it to idns now too

domainguru
19th October 2007, 07:45 PM
lol so modest the few are quite good if i remeber right :)

i fell for this scam when i first started in ascii has it made it to idns now too

That was a Russian scam, not Korean. I'm sure the Koreans are just using scripts to try and buy the best names at discount prices, same as happens with ASCII every day of the week. Another sign that the IDN market is fast maturing.

bramiozo
19th October 2007, 11:05 PM
That was a russian scam, http://allfordomains.com is still online but I remember it being a key part in the scam.

This does definitely not fit the profile of an appraisal scam, it's short, to the point, the intention to buy is clear and a price is mentioned.

If he starts talking about how reliable he is and that domaining is just something he does on the side, tell him to go chat with the mirror.

touchring
20th October 2007, 06:53 AM
I've not replied to the offer so won't know if it is an appraisal scam - can't decide what to reply, don't feel like selling yet.

Just wonder if any of you guys received the same offer worded as such. :o