PDA

View Full Version : The liberalization of .pt domains and an Open Letter to Portuguese PM

jose
22nd October 2007, 01:02 AM
I know it’s a long post but please read it till the end. You’ll enjoy it!

I have never ever talked in here with your guys about the Portuguese top level domain extension .pt.

The fact is that here in Portugal I have been struggling tying to pass the word about what’s going on with Portuguese tld domains.

To keep things short, the rules to register a .pt are very rigid and restrictive. However, there are people who have been able to bend the rules and register some of the best domains, anyway.

Rules clearly express that all generic terms and Internet jargon are forbidden AND that you need to have a brand, TM or company name with the same name of the domain you’re after.

Basically they use two tricks to get the domains:

Register the domain using the official document of the request for a new brand. Despite the fact they knew the request would be denied. No, the registry never cross referenced it later on!

Create a company with a name especially tailored made just to get the domain: for example: ONDAS LINEARES (Linear Waves) to get online.pt

It's obvious it's their responsibly on both cases not to have used some common sense and realize the brand request would obvious be denied and/or the name of the company was a trick just to bend the rules and get the domain.

Upholding this state of affairs over more than a decade lead to a real sense of black market on the Portuguese domain name scene and completely killed the market! I mean, who on their perfect mind would invest on a property that was acquired bending the rules and that you know, sooner or later may and would be taken away from you? (I mean, in case you still trust the system and the law)

Even wonder why there are so many Spanish domainers blogs and forums and conferences and zero Portuguese?

Now lately there have been rumors around that say a full liberalization is eminent (and yes, IDNs also). This worries me more than it makes me happy, for two main reasons:

I don't hear about a sunrise period or any other rules being put to place or available for open discussion. Does this mean script lords will get the best names on zero hour?

I don't hear about how they would deal with the forgery registered domains. Does this means this will make them legal? I mean, a sort of “crime pays” message?

In order to better illustrate the lack of awareness of the importance of domain names in Portugal, I’ve created an Open Letter to the Portuguese Prime Minister and have put it online at www.JoséSócrates.com (http://www.xn--josscrates-d7a5j.com). The official page of the prime minister is www.JoseSocrates.com (http://www.josesocrates.com). Notice the differences?

I’ve also created a petition there and you're welcome to sign it. It just asks: Are you in favor of the liberalization of .pt domais?

Second and in order to raise awareness I need you to help me appraise one of these domains: Let’s say, for instance, sexo.pt (sex.pt)! How much do you think its worth?

Maybe journalists and legislators will deal with this in a more serious way once they understood the amount of money in stake. Como on guys, this is not kid’s play anymore! There’s a lot of money involved!

I'm bringing this message outside Portugal now. Maybe they will listen from the outside and out of shame!

Fka200
22nd October 2007, 01:06 AM
Signed. I'd assume sexo.pt would be worth at least xxxx.

sueco
22nd October 2007, 01:15 AM
Signed. This would be very good to all of us.

bwhhisc
22nd October 2007, 01:24 AM
"from Jose to Jose" :)

Also, send out a press release on this to all the local media, some should pick it up.

Olney
22nd October 2007, 02:08 AM
Hey Jose thank you for writing this. I always wonder about the latin markets like Spanish, Portuguese, French etc. Every markets seems to have little (& big) issues that many members are helping to resolve.

mgrohan
22nd October 2007, 02:24 AM
Interesting read.
Petition signed, good luck on your quest to 'fix' .pt extension :p .

rkae
22nd October 2007, 07:37 AM
almost exactly is the situation with our .bg ccTLD (Bulgaria). extremely rigid and vague rules, extremely expensive (2 years ago was 150$/year now it's 100$ I think).. and also as a regular person you can't just register a too good domain. I went through that. so frustating. the process of registering my own firm here was long, frustating and it's not free (add another 100$). at the end when I submitted my documents and everything.. nothing happened. called them and they couldn't explain to me why I'm not getting the domain. had to talk with some upper manager bitch who almost told me I'm crazy for attemting to register such a domain. on the next day the domain appeared registered on the name of some big firm. the whois said it was registered almost half a year ago. which was all made up because I had my eye on that domain for some time and I was checking its whois regulary. at the end I realized I just didn't had the needed connections and.

I don't know how many petitions have been signed by thousands of people, how many calls have been made to icann and the government to take action. the fight has been going on for more than a decade and still nothing.

I know what it is like and I'm signing the petition. hope you have a better luck and liberalize the .pt at the end!

chineseidn
22nd October 2007, 07:56 AM
nice. I've signed although I'm not sure whether a Dutch name has any impact in Portugal:)

bramiozo
22nd October 2007, 02:32 PM
You're an ace Jose, I've signed the petition.

camarro
22nd October 2007, 02:52 PM
I know it’s a long post but please read it till the end. You’ll enjoy it!

I have never ever talked in here with your guys about the Portuguese top level domain extension .pt.

The fact is that here in Portugal I have been struggling tying to pass the word about what’s going on with Portuguese tld domains.

To keep things short, the rules to register a .pt are very rigid and restrictive. However, there are people who have been able to bend the rules and register some of the best domains, anyway.

Rules clearly express that all generic terms and Internet jargon are forbidden AND that you need to have a brand, TM or company name with the same name of the domain you’re after.

Basically they use two tricks to get the domains:

Register the domain using the official document of the request for a new brand. Despite the fact they knew the request would be denied. No, the registry never cross referenced it later on!

Create a company with a name especially tailored made just to get the domain: for example: ONDAS LINEARES (Linear Waves) to get online.pt

It's obvious it's their responsibly on both cases not to have used some common sense and realize the brand request would obvious be denied and/or the name of the company was a trick just to bend the rules and get the domain.

Upholding this state of affairs over more than a decade lead to a real sense of black market on the Portuguese domain name scene and completely killed the market! I mean, who on their perfect mind would invest on a property that was acquired bending the rules and that you know, sooner or later may and would be taken away from you? (I mean, in case you still trust the system and the law)

Even wonder why there are so many Spanish domainers blogs and forums and conferences and zero Portuguese?

Now lately there have been rumors around that say a full liberalization is eminent (and yes, IDNs also). This worries me more than it makes me happy, for two main reasons:

I don't hear about a sunrise period or any other rules being put to place or available for open discussion. Does this mean script lords will get the best names on zero hour?

I don't hear about how they would deal with the forgery registered domains. Does this means this will make them legal? I mean, a sort of “crime pays” message?

In order to better illustrate the lack of awareness of the importance of domain names in Portugal, I’ve created an Open Letter to the Portuguese Prime Minister and have put it online at www.JoséSócrates.com (http://www.xn--josscrates-d7a5j.com). The official page of the prime minister is www.JoseSocrates.com (http://www.josesocrates.com). Notice the differences?

I’ve also created a petition there and you're welcome to sign it. It just asks: Are you in favor of the liberalization of .pt domais?

Second and in order to raise awareness I need you to help me appraise one of these domains: Let’s say, for instance, sexo.pt (sex.pt)! How much do you think its worth?

Maybe journalists and legislators will deal with this in a more serious way once they understood the amount of money in stake. Como on guys, this is not kid’s play anymore! There’s a lot of money involved!

I'm bringing this message outside Portugal now. Maybe they will listen from the outside and out of shame!

pareces surpreendido jose, a verdade é que infelizmente o crime compensa bastantes vezes em portugal, basta veres os noticiários todos os dias, muito estranharia que o registo de dominios fosse excepção, boa sorte com o nosso primeiro mas acho que ele prefere distribuir portateis a 150 euros do que ocupar-se com problemas que nao lhe dão boa propaganda como é o caso.

nicb5
22nd October 2007, 03:35 PM
I signed it too. Great initiative.
(also I discovered that I can read and understand most of Portugese :) )

jose
22nd October 2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks Nicholas, Yanni, Gemme, Pesho, Phillipe, Sammy and Ruy.

I'm very touched by your gesture and support! Thanks again mates!

I am taking notes here... ;)

jose
29th October 2007, 01:01 AM
Letter of the week on the Portuguese top reference newspaper!

http://www.josésócrates.com/category/blogue

Now, how about that?!

Fka200
29th October 2007, 01:21 AM
Very nice!