PDA

View Full Version : Domain names in Indian languages soon

a2zofb2b
22nd October 2007, 12:00 PM
Here is the press release
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Infotech/Internet_/Domain_names_in_Indian_languages_soon/rssarticleshow/2479794.cms

One thing which is still not clear from NIXI’s statement is how they plan to roll out the extentsions
i.e.
हिन्दी.in or
हिन्दी.ईन or
हिन्दी.इन

domainguru
22nd October 2007, 12:10 PM
What's this para all about?

" For trademark owners, the initial registration (called the sunrise period) is expected to open in January 2008. Registration for individual owners, that is, land rush, will begin around March, 2008."

They seem to have invented their own policies and procedures ahead of ICANN?

Rubber Duck
22nd October 2007, 12:13 PM
What's this para all about?

" For trademark owners, the initial registration (called the sunrise period) is expected to open in January 2008. Registration for individual owners, that is, land rush, will begin around March, 2008."

They seem to have invented their own policies and procedures ahead of ICANN?

ccTLDs do have their own policies. It is only really Russia and Icann that do not.

If they are going to Alias which in India surely they must, then the only registrations that are going to happen initially are dot IN, which is going to give you the traffic from everything else when it come on line.

What I want to know is where did they get this information:
<<In some of these countries, IDNs registrations per month surpass those in English. >>

yanni
22nd October 2007, 05:48 PM
I believe they're talking about IDN at the second level.

Rubber Duck
22nd October 2007, 05:52 PM
I believe they're talking about IDN at the second level.

Absolutely correct. They are catching up with Japan, Spain and Korea, but lagging behind China, although still ahead of Russia.

drbiohealth
22nd October 2007, 05:59 PM
Its going to be हिन्दी.in. .IDN policy is not yet in place.

One thing which is still not clear from NIXI’s statement is how they plan to roll out the extentsions
i.e.
हिन्दी.in or
हिन्दी.ईन or
हिन्दी.इन

Rubber Duck
22nd October 2007, 06:09 PM
Big endorsement for हिन्दी.com though. :p

drbiohealth
24th October 2007, 06:16 PM
Sluice gates are about to open .. :p

Big endorsement for हिन्दी.com though. :p