View Full Version : DNJoural

mulligan
23rd October 2007, 03:14 PM
Nice to see IDNs get a mention

http://www.dnjournal.com/articles/events/traffic-east-2007.htm

Thanks Ron

thegenius1
23rd October 2007, 03:34 PM
" Frakes also said IDNs (International Domain Names) will play a growing role as search goes local - noting the current widespread adoption of Japanese IDNs as just one example. Adam Dicker concurred with Frakes on both the ccTLD and IDN fronts noting that he has purchased thousands of domains in each category.

;)

thegenius1
23rd October 2007, 04:12 PM
Be nice if we could get a link to the forum added in there Duke

yanni
23rd October 2007, 04:21 PM
What? at a T.R.A.F.F.I.C. show?

Impossible. Ask around. It must be a typo :)

Rubber Duck
23rd October 2007, 07:38 PM
I am guessing, but I think we might be being primed for another IDN story tomorrow.

thegenius1
23rd October 2007, 07:46 PM
I am guessing, but I think we might be being primed for another IDN story tomorrow.

Story ?

What did you sell ? or what sold

bramiozo
23rd October 2007, 07:47 PM
If the sale was finished it should make a nice headline :) .

thegenius1
23rd October 2007, 07:49 PM
If the sale was finished it should make a nice headline :) .

Whats the Sale ????

bramiozo
23rd October 2007, 07:49 PM
There was a $100K+ sale a while ago, it was a bit to fresh for the last dnjournal, if the sale was actually concluded we should see it in the next sales list.

jacksonm
23rd October 2007, 07:50 PM

Success at associated cities?

thegenius1
23rd October 2007, 07:55 PM
There was a $100K+ sale a while ago, it was a bit to fresh for the last dnjournal, if the sale was actually concluded we should see it in the next sales list.

Can you provide more details for us please , genre , language ect.

bramiozo
23rd October 2007, 07:57 PM
http://www.sedo.nl/auction/auction_history.php?language=nl&auction_id=17575&tracked=&partnerid=

städtereisen.de - EUR 73.500

jacksonm
23rd October 2007, 08:00 PM
http://www.sedo.nl/auction/auction_history.php?language=nl&auction_id=17575&tracked=&partnerid=

städtereisen.de - EUR 73.500

City tours.de

IIRC, this same domain had sold previously on sedo for 56k EUR

burnsinternet
24th October 2007, 04:20 AM
Incredible news! These German IDN.de are pure gold. Just wish I had some...

IDNCowboy
24th October 2007, 04:24 AM
Incredible news! These German IDN.de are pure gold. Just wish I had some...
I second that lol...

do any of the idnf regulars have any of these ;-)

other than drewbert :P that's a given

touchring
24th October 2007, 04:36 AM
I think i got one. :p

But a note, .de can be deleted by the registrar - i had another one in which the registrar forced me to delete it because it was a TM. Immediately after i deleted it, it was registered again.

burnsinternet
24th October 2007, 04:38 AM
I always looked at IDN.de as the model of what is to come.... They have been at the forefront of sales and usage but are rarely mentioned outside DNJ. Another reason I didn't ignore Latins completely.

If the IDN.jp follow this same path, I will be a happy kid.

Olney
24th October 2007, 04:39 AM
The German market also has Sedo.
You have too look at what resources each market has.

touchring
24th October 2007, 04:52 AM
I always looked at IDN.de as the model of what is to come.... They have been at the forefront of sales and usage but are rarely mentioned outside DNJ. Another reason I didn't ignore Latins completely.

If the IDN.jp follow this same path, I will be a happy kid.

There has been a lot of hints of big deals going on, like .jp and hebrew. The english speaking only us market is slowing down, so we have to depend on native buyers or speakers for the secondary market.

Rubber Duck
24th October 2007, 04:52 AM
Well nothing reported this week. That one must have gone pear shaped!

Native buyers will provide the under-pinning at some point.

I have just had somebody turn down a price on a specific Japanese Dot Com. Well I hope they didn't really need it because if they come back the price is doubled!

jose
24th October 2007, 05:04 AM
Good Morning Dave. You definitely wake up early in the morning. I am going to bed now, lol.

touchring
24th October 2007, 05:07 AM
Well nothing reported this week. That one must have gone pear shaped!

Native buyers will provide the under-pinning at some point.

I have just had somebody turn down a price on a specific Japanese Dot Com. Well I hope they didn't really need it because if they come back the price is doubled!

Native buyer or speculator or "native speculator".

Rubber Duck
24th October 2007, 05:10 AM
Native buyer or speculator or "native speculator".

No idea. Just gmail. But I think he was serious got back several times. He obviously thought I was expensive, but in fact I had priced to sell. I was already having second thoughts at that level.

thegenius1
24th October 2007, 12:45 PM
No idea. Just gmail. But I think he was serious got back several times. He obviously thought I was expensive, but in fact I had priced to sell. I was already having second thoughts at that level.

What genre was it if you dont mind ?

bwhhisc
24th October 2007, 12:52 PM
The interest I have seen is in .jp idns.
I also sold a few nice .tv idn that will make DNJ soon. :)

thegenius1
24th October 2007, 12:54 PM
I also sold a few nice .tv idn that will make DNJ soon. :)

Congrats Bill .... Japanese ?

The interest I have seen is in .jp idns.

Shhhhh !

bwhhisc
24th October 2007, 12:55 PM
Congrats Bill .... Japanese ?

Arabic and Persian.

burnsinternet
24th October 2007, 07:40 PM
Congrats!

I have had no offers on my Arabic .TVs, but am still waiting!

العربي.tv the Arabic/Arab
الفيديو.tv the video
فيديو.tv video
بنات.tv girls
أفلام.tv movies

Rubber Duck
24th October 2007, 08:23 PM
I have to say I am a little surprised that anyone is investing in Arabic.TV.

Dot TV is unlikely to be aliased into Arabic in the same manner as genuine gTLDs, so you are going to be left with bi-directional strings.

Fka200
24th October 2007, 08:29 PM

Dot TV is unlikely to be aliased into Arabic in the same manner as genuine gTLDs, so you are going to be left with bi-directional strings.

I picked up some Arabic .TVs early last year that I just couldn't let sit. One of them I wouldn't dream of thinking for less than x,xxx... the term is just to good and fits the extension well.

I think there are still some REALLY good ones left that I left unreg'd due to lack of funds. I know i'll regret in the future, but oh well!

touchring
24th October 2007, 08:32 PM
العربية.tv

I just got this. :)

burnsinternet
24th October 2007, 08:33 PM
I see idn.ws flying around here like seeds in the wind. After that, nothing surprised me.

I am surprised that you are surprised. This can't be the first time you have heard of a registered arabic idn.tv, RD. It is actually a very good extension for Arabic.

Cool, Touch. Good fit with that extension, IMHO.

As those with keywords say, a keyword is a keyword.

Rubber Duck
24th October 2007, 08:37 PM
First I have heard of it, but we have not chased these alternative extensions.

I see idn.ws flying around here like seeds in the wind. After that, nothing surprised me.

I am surprised that you are surprised. This can't be the first time you have heard of a registered arabic idn.tv, RD. It is actually a very good extension for Arabic.

Cool, Touch. Good fit with that extension, IMHO.

As those with keywords say, a keyword is a keyword.

thegenius1
24th October 2007, 08:41 PM
but we have not chased these alternative extensions.

Doesn't mean they are not worth investing in.

Rubber Duck
24th October 2007, 08:49 PM
Doesn't mean they are not worth investing in.

I was merely reply to Burnsinternet's question, but from our perspective they are not.

tee1
24th October 2007, 09:22 PM

I think you are right about .tv as well as .ws ect... but .tv might stand the best chance of getting more than one string, given their current corporate backing.

the possibility is there, or I think it is? Isn't this what the pdf of your other post implies. Granted I believe the intent is to not limit countries/territories that have more than one script (ie Japanese) being used. It seems any territory/country could apply for multiple strings, so if .tv, .ws ect could apply scripts in the top four langauges? Couldn't they, if they could why wouldn't they, it would greatly increase their registrations.

http://www.icann.org/topics/idn/ccnso-gac-issues-report-on-idn-09jul07.pdf

How many IDN ccTLDs per script per ‘territory’?
Apart from some exceptions, there is one single ASCII ccTLD per listed ‘territory’.
a) Should there similarly be only a single IDN ccTLD for a given script for each
‘territory’ or can there be multiple IDN ccTLD strings? For example, should there
be only one equivalent of .cn in Chinese script for China or .ru in Cyrillic for
Russia?
b) Could there be several IDN strings for a ‘territory’ in a script? If so, who would
determine the number and what are the criteria?
c) If an IDN ccTLD string is not applied for, for whatever reason, should an IDN
ccTLD string that could be associated with a particular ‘territory’ be reserved or
protected in some way?

tee1

burnsinternet
24th October 2007, 09:34 PM
Given that ccTLDs will probably go idn.idn first, it is theoretically possible that .TV will go that route sooner than gTLDs.

This is a gamble, of course. We all have our niche business decisions to live with....

Rubber Duck
24th October 2007, 09:36 PM
Not sure of the reference but GNSO comments on ccTLDs made some very pointed remarks about these proxy gTLDs. Tuvalu or whatever the place is called in Arabic would not be so valuable.

I think you are right about .tv as well as .ws ect... but .tv might stand the best chance of getting more than one string, given their current corporate backing.

the possibility is there, or I think it is? Isn't this what the pdf of your other post implies. Granted I believe the intent is to not limit countries/territories that have more than one script (ie Japanese) being used. It seems any territory/country could apply for multiple strings, so if .tv, .ws ect could apply scripts in the top four langauges? Couldn't they, if they could why wouldn't they, it would greatly increase their registration.

How many IDN ccTLDs per script per ‘territory’?
Apart from some exceptions, there is one single ASCII ccTLD per listed ‘territory’.
a) Should there similarly be only a single IDN ccTLD for a given script for each
‘territory’ or can there be multiple IDN ccTLD strings? For example, should there
be only one equivalent of .cn in Chinese script for China or .ru in Cyrillic for
Russia?
b) Could there be several IDN strings for a ‘territory’ in a script? If so, who would
determine the number and what are the criteria?
c) If an IDN ccTLD string is not applied for, for whatever reason, should an IDN
ccTLD string that could be associated with a particular ‘territory’ be reserved or
protected in some way?

tee1

burnsinternet
24th October 2007, 10:17 PM
No one will really know about any of this until the game is well underway.

And, it is not like I am going to drop top keyword .TVs based on that. In my opinion, .TV is a heck of a lot better gamble than .cc or .ws any day. TV probably means TV in most languages.

You play your way, I play mine. A little bit of everything spreads the risk.

:)

thegenius1
24th October 2007, 10:24 PM
You play your way, I play mine. A little bit of everything spreads the risk.

:)

Thats how you play ;)

burnsinternet
24th October 2007, 10:38 PM
I have so-o-o--o many domains that are considered 'long-term' investments, my great-grandchildren should be very wealthy! :p

Drewbert
25th October 2007, 03:08 AM
No one will really know about any of this until the game is well underway.

And, it is not like I am going to drop top keyword .TVs based on that. In my opinion, .TV is a heck of a lot better gamble than .cc or .ws any day. TV probably means TV in most languages.

Ah. But "tv" might not be the 2 letter code for Tuvalu in all languages. And that's what really matters.

The Arabic 2 letter code for Cocos & Keeling Islands or Western Samoa might turn out to be something that has a strong secondary meaning in Arabic - like the 2 letter code for Tuvalu does in English.

Rubber Duck
25th October 2007, 05:18 AM
The info coming out ICANN suggests that ccTLDs are trailing gTLDs in terms of policy and implementation. To catch up they are talking about Fast-Track. There is no way Dot TV or any of these other borrowed extension is ever going to get fast tracked. Indeed they face opposition all the way through. Allocation will initially go to those requesting uncontroversial translations of their country names. If Aliasing of TV into Arabic happens ever to mean Television, it is at least 5 years off in my opinion.

touchring
25th October 2007, 05:23 AM
Just a few dot tvs, why so much fuzz? It's not going to take out much liquidity from the marketplace.

Rubber Duck
25th October 2007, 05:44 AM
Just a few dot tvs, why so much fuzz? It's not going to take out much liquidity from the marketplace.

It goes a bit beyond that. I actual feel it is very damaging that dot Mobi has taken $10M or so in fees for something that is going to be worth squat.

People are coming here for advice. We should try to advise them correctly.

thegenius1
25th October 2007, 06:59 AM
It goes a bit beyond that. I actual feel it is very damaging that dot Mobi has taken $10M or so in fees for something that is going to be worth squat.

People are coming here for advice. We should try to advise them correctly.

I'm not that familiar with the Arabic language , but i can say that TV is known pretty much around the globe to mean television , so with that being said .TV is a sound investment in most languages to my knowledge. Again just because you aren't vested there doesn't mean advise other wise. There are plenty of .TV's that have been selling for x,xxx as far back as almost 2 years ago.

As far as .mobi Junk names will always be worth squat , but the same does not apply to the people that have sold some of them for xxx,xxx

Rubber Duck
25th October 2007, 07:06 AM
I'm not that familiar with the Arabic language , but i can say that TV is known pretty much around the globe to mean television , so with that being said .TV is a sound investment in most languages to my knowledge. Again just because you aren't vested there doesn't mean advise other wise. There are plenty of .TV's that have been selling for x,xxx as far back as almost 2 years ago.

I do agree with you on .mobi though , but hey not everybody is comfortable with investing in things they cant understand. So when they get the balls to try to understand it they will have to come see us !

Yes, but Japanese.TV is much more interesting than VT.Arabic. That is how the locals will see it!

thegenius1
25th October 2007, 07:10 AM
Yes, but Japanese.TV is much more interesting than VT.Arabic. That is how the locals will see it!

So what about moc.Arabic ?

burnsinternet
25th October 2007, 07:21 AM

I was just about to post that. Kudos! :p

thegenius1
25th October 2007, 07:24 AM
I was just about to post that. Kudos! :p

Im about to buy more arabic .net's so atleast it means "10".Arabic :)

Rubber Duck
25th October 2007, 07:31 AM

As I have previously said Aliasing is crucial for the Arabic market and that includes Dot Com. It is, however, unlikely that other extensions are going to get the jump on dot com. Just about everything is likely to get the jump on Dot TV.

burnsinternet
25th October 2007, 07:36 AM
Like .ws & .cc?

<edit>

Never mind.... Buy what you want, RD. Don't put others down because they don't agree with you. Also, don't pretend that you are not snubbing others.

Over and out....

thegenius1
25th October 2007, 07:38 AM
Just about everything is likely to get the jump on Dot TV.

Sure.LMAO

We'll see what's on DNJ next week !

Rubber Duck
25th October 2007, 08:09 AM
Sure.LMAO

We'll see what's on DNJ next week !

Clearly in context, I was referring to allocation of aliases, not current sales that have already been flagged up.

It is no mystery that there is big money chasing all sorts of stuff out there. Not all of it is hitting the mark.

Fka200
25th October 2007, 09:17 AM
As I have previously said Aliasing is crucial for the Arabic market and that includes Dot Com. It is, however, unlikely that other extensions are going to get the jump on dot com.

Don't forget net :)