Can an Arabic speaker comment on this character please:

لأ

Thanks

Rubber Duck
24th October 2007, 01:19 PM
Can an Arabic speaker comment on this character please:

لأ

Thanks

I think you will find that is actually three characters!

mulligan
24th October 2007, 01:31 PM
My mistake ... This whatever it is

thefabfive
24th October 2007, 02:30 PM
لأ is made up of two characters: ل + أ

Not sure if it means anything.

Rubber Duck
24th October 2007, 02:45 PM
لأ is made up of two characters: ل + أ

Not sure if it means anything.

But isn't the first one Alif with Hamza which is actually a composite anyway? Hamza the Glotal Stop is normally considered a separate alphabet character.

thefabfive
24th October 2007, 03:19 PM
In this case, it is not a separate letter.

Rubber Duck
24th October 2007, 03:33 PM
In this case, it is not a separate letter.

In that case we have a lot more single Arabics than I was counting! :p

Muhammad Mustafa
24th October 2007, 04:35 PM
لأ is a version of NO which it's prime is لا - without Hamza

as thefabfive said RD it's only 2 char not 3, you are right and wrong in the same time :)
Hamza is written in Arabic like this ء and in this case Hamza considred as an independent char, and you will find the Hamza alone on the line like in السماء - الماء - الهواء ...etc
in other cases Hamza comes over or under another char and in this case it considred the whole as 1 char not 2 char like in مأكولات - أرض - مؤمن - مطمئن ...etc
so here is all hamza cases:
- when Hamza alone and considred as 1 char --> one case when you found it alone looks like this: ء
- when Hamza with another letter and considred both as 1 char --> 5 cases when you found it looks like this: أ - إ - ؤ - ئـ - ئ
this is all Hamza cases in Arabic, see you in the next Arabic lesson. Each student will be charged $5 / lesson, don't forget to pay for the lesson :p

Rubber Duck
24th October 2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks Muhammad. You have made it very clear to me that we must hang onto these!

لأ is a version of NO which it's prime is لا - without Hamza

as thefabfive said RD it's only 2 char not 3, you are right and wrong in the same time :)
Hamza is written in Arabic like this ء and in this case Hamza considred as an independent char, and you will find the Hamza alone on the line like in السماء - الماء - الهواء ...etc
in other cases Hamza comes over or under another char and in this case it considred the whole as 1 char not 2 char like in مأكولات - أرض - مؤمن - مطمئن ...etc
so here is all hamza cases:
- when Hamza alone and considred as 1 char --> one case when you found it alone looks like this: ء
- when Hamza with another letter and considred both as 1 char --> 5 cases when you found it looks like this: أ - إ - ؤ - ئـ - ئ
this is all Hamza cases in Arabic, see you in the next Arabic lesson. Each student will be charged $5 / lesson, don't forget to pay for the lesson :p