PDA

View Full Version : Bought my 1st IDN!

htmlindex
25th October 2007, 11:32 AM
Just bought my 1st IDN today. I've been thinking about getting this name for a while but finally decided to get it.

북한.tv which means 'North Korea' in the Korean language. It has a Korean Overture of 2,385/day with 14,800,000 pages in Google. NorthKorea.tv in the English language is a $1,000/year premium.

What do you think about this name? What do you think about IDN GEO names in general?

bwhhisc
25th October 2007, 11:41 AM
Geo-domains have proven to have excellent value and monetization with ascii and should be the same with idn.
IMO City + .tv are good matches, but maybe better to pick "Cities" rather than countries since tv is somewhat
localized by channel and offering.

Also, head for the BIGGEST populations in economically strong countries where you will find good advertising dollars later.
Or go for multiple cities in large countries where an enduser could develop a "network" of these city.tv sites.
There are lots of links for city lists by surfing google, then wikipedia can usually give you the native script.

http://www.citymayors.com/statistics/largest-cities-population-125.html

Rubber Duck
25th October 2007, 11:42 AM
Geo Domains will be huge.

North Korea is unlikely to be the highest demand centre.

I have reservations about the extension, but who knows it could be good in Korean.

Your biggest problem would be a German Style reintegration of the two Korean States. In which case, your investment would be worthless.

Just bought my 1st IDN today. I've been thinking about getting this name for a while but finally decided to get it.

북한.tv which means 'North Korea' in the Korean language. It has a Korean Overture of 2,385/day with 14,800,000 pages in Google. NorthKorea.tv in the English language is a $1,000/year premium.

What do you think about this name? What do you think about IDN GEO names in general?

jacksonm
25th October 2007, 12:03 PM
I have reservations about the extension, but who knows it could be good in Korean.

Your biggest problem would be a German Style reintegration of the two Korean States. In which case, your investment would be worthless.

Your short-term biggest problem is when .tv decides to implement premium pricing on IDNs and all of the sudden your renewal fee is $1000.

But anyway, congrats on your first IDN!

25th October 2007, 12:14 PM
From Demand Media email reply:
The renewal price will never be more than the list price, so long as the name is renewed in a timely manner (30 day grace period). Once a name is registered and a renewal rate is agreed upon, that rate remains in effect unless the name is not renewed and left to be put on the market again.

jacksonm
25th October 2007, 12:17 PM
From Demand Media email reply:
The renewal price will never be more than the list price, so long as the name is renewed in a timely manner (30 day grace period). Once a name is registered and a renewal rate is agreed upon, that rate remains in effect unless the name is not renewed and left to be put on the market again.

Thanks, Michael. That's good to know!

sunsei21
25th October 2007, 02:37 PM

lol demand media doesnt always get it right the tiered pricing will kill the extension eventualy i think from a ascii pov or people will just trade non premium names.

anyways i passed on this particular .tv a while ago didnt see it as a good fit for my portfolio :)

sbe18
25th October 2007, 07:21 PM
My bet in Korean IDN's was to put the tv to left of the dot.
Who knows... ???
but I can pay the 24 dollars per year to find out....
Steve

* 한국tv.com - korea tv
* 서울tv.com - seoul tv
* 대한민국tv.com - South Korea TV

Giant
26th October 2007, 12:05 AM

Same with Chinese IDNs.

I believe only 3 IDN extentions will succeed in China, .com, .net and .cn (plus their alias).

IDNCowboy
26th October 2007, 12:10 AM
Who knows... ???
but I can pay the 24 dollars per year to find out....
Steve

* 한국tv.com - korea tv
* 서울tv.com - seoul tv
* 대한민국tv.com - South Korea TV
why

logicb0x
26th October 2007, 06:17 AM
buy geo domain is good investment :)