PDA

View Full Version : So what do we get from ICANN LA?

Rubber Duck
27th October 2007, 10:18 AM
Well in a word Publicity.

Lots and Lots of the right kind of publicity. The GAC constituents are the official agencies of Governments. There is going to be a lot discussed and a lot agreed, after which they will report back to the citizens of their own countries through the local media, many of which will be state owned.

This is important. Not only will the press releases be in the local languages but they will have official endorsement. This is far more powerful than ICANN releasing statements in English to a largely US audience.

Yes, most of the good news is going to be ccTLD related. Does that matter? Well clearly it will be good for those ccTLDs that are already in existence, but the one thing that is going to bring traffic to IDN.com is the launch of new IDN.ccTLD. One you will be able to register or buy, the other you will still only be able to talk about. But talk they will!

burnsinternet
27th October 2007, 10:23 AM
I look forward to posts of local press releases. Until now, so many have been negative. We need some positive press.

bwhhisc
27th October 2007, 11:53 AM
ICANN meeting starts on Monday, October 29, 2007 thru November 2, 2007.

Must be getting down to the politic$ of things as all 3 major IDN meetings are "closed" sessions.

Saturday, 27 October, 2007 - 14:00 27 Oct 2007 - 18:00 GAC Working Group on IDNs (CLOSED) La Jolla Ballroom

Sunday, 28 October, 2007 - 09:00 28 Oct 2007 - 10:00 GAC Working Group 1: IDNs in gTLD Space (CLOSED) La Jolla Ballroom

Sunday, 28 October, 2007 - 11:15 28 Oct 2007 - 13:00 GAC Working Group on IDNs (CLOSED) La Jolla Ballroom

Rubber Duck
27th October 2007, 01:45 PM
Not quite sure which page you are looking at. This is where I am seeing the Agenda:

http://losangeles2007.icann.org/agenda

Basically agrees with yours, which is not incidentally uncommon. These things often seem to kick of with closed weekend meeting of the GAC, but what is unusual is all the "Possiblies" which is indicative of the expectation of a lot of horse trading.

I am also seeing a lot of meeting between GAC and other constituencies and full day of closed GAC meeting on Wednesday. ccNSO appears to be fairly active