PDA

View Full Version : Russia to drop out of global internet?

jacksonm
29th October 2007, 10:06 AM
MOSCOW -- After ignoring the Internet for years to focus on controlling traditional media such as television and newspapers, the Kremlin and its allies are turning their attention to cyberspace, which remains a haven for critical reporting and vibrant discussion in Russia's dwindling public sphere.

Allies of President Vladimir Putin are creating pro-government news and pop culture Web sites while purchasing some established online outlets known for independent journalism. They are nurturing a network of friendly bloggers ready to disseminate propaganda on command. And there is talk of creating a new Russian computer network -- one that would be separate from the Internet at large and, potentially, much easier for the authorities to control.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/27/AR2007102701384_pf.html

Rubber Duck
29th October 2007, 10:47 AM
I have seen this before. As I understand it there is multiple redundancy in the name server network, but still the vast majority of them are own by US Interests in one form or another.

I merely interepted this as the Russian intending to invest in their own nameservers. That is that they rather than intending to step outside the ICANN system they would merely seek to have increased capacity and security of their own commercial interests by running their own nameservers within the ICANN system. China and others have already gone this route.

No nation is going to enjoy being in a situation where Bush could just switch off everything because he mistook them for Al Quaeda's.

jacksonm
29th October 2007, 10:58 AM
I have seen this before. As I understand it there is multiple redundancy in the name server network, but still the vast majority of them are own by US Interests in one form or another.

I merely interepted this as the Russian intending to invest in their own nameservers. That is that they rather than intending to step outside the ICANN system they would merely seek to have increased capacity and security of their own commercial interests by running their own nameservers within the ICANN system. China and others have already gone this route.

No nation is going to enjoy being in a situation where Bush could just switch off everything because he mistook them for Al Quaeda's.

No, they really are insinuating the creation of a "parralel universe" for Russia, which can be monitored, controlled, contained, and censored. This has nothing to do with Russia controlling one of ICANN's root nameservers.

xxbossmanxx
29th October 2007, 04:15 PM
LoL Duck, thats not how the net works. Besides Bush couldnt flip the switch to his bedroom lights without help.

Rubber Duck
29th October 2007, 04:24 PM
Seems a bit far fetched. Besides they could do all this at ISP level without even splitting the root. All they have to do is filter out anything that is not a dot RU.

I think the US perception of the Russia is getting a bit dated. Like China it may have a dubious democratic credentials, but there is no doubt that it is also a burgeoning capitalist economy.

Drewbert
29th October 2007, 05:50 PM
No, they really are insinuating the creation of a "parallel universe" for Russia, which can be monitored, controlled, contained, and censored.

Pretty much what the Bush admin has built in the USA, what with the NSA connections in to all the Telco's facilities, warrantless wire tapping, etc.

"Do as we say, not as we do".

bwhhisc
29th October 2007, 08:47 PM
Pretty much what the Bush admin has built in the USA, what with the NSA connections in to all the Telco's facilities, warrantless wire tapping, etc. "Do as we say, not as we do".

Making the world a safer place...so they say.