PDA

View Full Version : Google introduces G.cn as google.cn is too hard to remember

IDNCowboy
29th October 2007, 07:09 PM
http://www.interfax.cn/displayarticle.asp?aid=29084&slug=CHINA-IT-SEARCH
Beijing. October 29. INTERFAX-CHINA - Google China began operating from the new, simplified Web address "g.cn" this afternoon to overcome difficulties users have in remembering "google.cn".

domainguru
29th October 2007, 07:41 PM
amazing. Chinese people can't remember ASCII URLs, and long for something they can remember. IDNs anyone?

burnsinternet
29th October 2007, 10:30 PM
amazing. Chinese people can't remember ASCII URLs, and long for something they can remember. IDNs anyone?

That is crazy talk. Nothin' but funny looking squiggles.

Are you just trying to divert attention from the current L-L-L.com goldrush?

Fka200
29th October 2007, 10:33 PM
Are you just trying to divert attention from the current L-L-L.com goldrush?

OMG LOOL!

jacksonm
29th October 2007, 10:34 PM
OMG LOOL!

Hey, I'll sell you xn--idn.net !

thegenius1
29th October 2007, 10:38 PM
Hey man they are going fast get yours

ア-ニ-メ.com

ビ-デ-オ.com

ブ-ロ-グ.com

burnsinternet
29th October 2007, 10:39 PM
Hey, I'll sell you xn--idn.net !

I bid $.05!

Rubber Duck
29th October 2007, 10:52 PM
First rule of domain evaluation.

If it was first registered yesterday then it probably ain't worth Jack Shit.

thegenius1
29th October 2007, 10:56 PM

This is probably true in every other sector of the Domaining business , but not so much in IDN's at this stage. Many Languages and Many niches to conquer yet.

Rubber Duck
29th October 2007, 10:59 PM
By definition if nobody previously thought of it, there ain't much of a market.

Fka200
29th October 2007, 11:01 PM

IDN I recently reg'd:

Creation Date: 18-oct-2007

Visitors: 253

I do agree with the statement, to some extent. I was beat to a lot of domains in the last month or so that were fresh regs. When I'd check the whois I'd be like why the fu*k didn't I think of that a week ago?!

Rubber Duck
29th October 2007, 11:03 PM
IDN I recently reg'd:

Creation Date: 18-oct-2007

Visitors: 253

Nice. Could be a drop I would guess. If the Net has been regged for a while then it is a pretty fair bet or sometimes they are left as TMs.

thegenius1
29th October 2007, 11:05 PM
I do agree with the statement, to some extent. I was beat to a lot of domains in the last month or so that were fresh regs. When I'd check the whois I'd be like why the fu*k didn't I think of that a week ago?!

And that doesn't mean if you where the person that reged it before the other guy got there its worth Jack Nothing. There is plenty of good stuff out there you just have to have the skills and know where to look.

burnsinternet
29th October 2007, 11:09 PM
I, too, disagree, RD. Just because no one has 'thought' of it does not make it so bad.

I stripmined a vein this weekend that made me gasp. Major language, too.

Fka200
29th October 2007, 11:09 PM
And that doesn't mean if you where the person that reged it before the other guy got there its worth Jack Nothing. There is plenty of good stuff out there you just have to have the skills and know where to look.

Yep. A Lot assume since it's free it's not worth anything... if you have confidence pick it up. You obviously searched to see if it's available for a reason!

And Dave, the term isn't a drop. I checked everywhere to make sure. I picked up 4-5 domains in the last 2 months that surprised me like this one. IDNs are in whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

Be it IDN.COM/NET or IDN.IDN. I don't care. Like I said, the way ICANN wants to go through with IDN.IDN is outright stupid. The idns we currently have will get more type in than any IDN.IDN released... I can keep rambling on for hours about this subject so I'm just going to stop. No regrets here!

Right when I got back from the ICANN meeting I bought around 15 more IDNs.

IDNCowboy
29th October 2007, 11:11 PM
Yep. A Lot assume since it's free it's not worth anything... if you have confidence pick it up. You obviously searched to see if it's available for a reason!

And Dave, the term isn't a drop. I checked everywhere to make sure. I picked up 4-5 domains in the last 2 months that surprised me like this one. IDNs are in whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

Be it IDN.COM/NET or IDN.IDN. I don't care. Like I said, the way ICANN wants to go through with IDN.IDN is outright stupid. No regrets here!
The one getting the traffic that was just regged - idn or ascii?

Fka200
29th October 2007, 11:13 PM
The one getting the traffic that was just regged - idn or ascii?

ASCII? What's that?

IDN of course. Fresh reg.

Rubber Duck
29th October 2007, 11:15 PM
Yes, of course there is always the odd nugget that gets overlooked, but like any gold mine the law of diminishing returns inevitably kicks in after a bit. That is why the ASCII crowd get so exercised about a few cents on the price.

thegenius1
29th October 2007, 11:19 PM
I can see a few of us with Frank Schilling , Yun Ye size portfolios in the coming future , because we have the skills and to many languages and niches to choose from.

I dont think these are worth Jack Nothing and picked them up within the last 24hrs

固定金利.com Fixed Interest Rate.com
預金金利.com Deposit Interest Rates.com
住宅金利.com Housing Interest Rate.com
変動金利.com Floating Interest Rate.com
国債金利.com Bond Interest Rate.com

長期投資.com LongTerm Investment.com
長期国債.com LongTerm Bonds.com

不動産信託.com Real Estate Trust.com
金銭信託.com Financial Trust.com

When they are developed and pull in a few clicks a day , they will easily make close or over 1.00 dollar a day each.

Even a term that may seem silly to some like ノストラダムス.com Nastrodamus.com Which i picked up last night. The ovt. is approx. 3k but it will most likely have little SE competion and i will monetize it with with fortune telling ads which pay pretty well.

Rubber Duck
29th October 2007, 11:32 PM
Maybe, but if you were to auction them here and now, you would be hard pressed to get 20 Bucks.

thegenius1
29th October 2007, 11:35 PM
Maybe, but if you were to auction them here and now, you would be hard pressed to get 20 Bucks.

Maybe Maybe not , alot of things sell for to cheap on the forum. Doesn't mean they were not worth registering.

burnsinternet
29th October 2007, 11:35 PM

And that is uncommon? There are very few domain names and languages that would command more than $20 here.

Rubber Duck
29th October 2007, 11:40 PM
Maybe Maybe not , alot of things sell for to cheap on the forum. Doesn't mean they were not worth registering.

Well I think we can agree on that.

We generally have a pretty unperceptive audience here.

You got to hand it to some of the flippers. They have real staying power.

burnsinternet
29th October 2007, 11:44 PM
Agreed. Flippers are alive and well here. Other than that.... Only PPC to keep me interested.

Fka200
29th October 2007, 11:48 PM
Only PPC to keep me interested.

I really like domains that have development potential. PPC is ok, but I can only see PPC being worthwhile in the future. Development makes things more interesting.

burnsinternet
29th October 2007, 11:52 PM
If you have the time and language skills.... My development projects have been slow (I am just lazy, I guess). Less earnings right now than PPC. I need to get some time and motivation to develop something.