PDA

View Full Version : Anybody still interested in Arabics?

jacksonm
1st November 2007, 06:06 PM
What is the general feeling among the group? Is anybody still interested in Arabic domains, knowing that they probably won't be aliased at least for a long time?

Waste of money or solid investment?

Rubber Duck
1st November 2007, 06:32 PM
What is the general feeling among the group? Is anybody still interested in Arabic domains, knowing that they probably won't be aliased at least for a long time?

Waste of money or solid investment?

I am not quite sure where you get all this from.

When the ccNSO were talking about fast tracking it was muted that this would only apply to those that are aliased.

tee1
1st November 2007, 06:42 PM
For me I have only been waiting since feb 06, there are some here that have been waiting since 2000 for IDNs in general, I can wait a few more years for arabic domains.

:)

tee1

jacksonm
1st November 2007, 06:47 PM
For me I have only been waiting since feb 06, there are some here that have been waiting since 2000 for IDNs in general, I can wait a few more years for arabic domains.

Yes, but would you still buy them today?

tee1
1st November 2007, 06:52 PM
yes as well as Hebrew.

tee1

jacksonm
1st November 2007, 06:54 PM
I am not quite sure where you get all this from.

When the ccNSO were talking about fast tracking it was muted that this would only apply to those that are aliased.

For sure country codes will be aliased and likely fast tracked. I'm talking about .coms and .nets. From what Sammy reported, it's basically a dead deal.

Rubber Duck
1st November 2007, 07:06 PM
For sure country codes will be aliased and likely fast tracked. I'm talking about .coms and .nets. From what Sammy reported, it's basically a dead deal.

Well we will see what Sammy's remarks are worth later.

As I see it, the aliasing is simply a matter of the applicant explaining the aliasing within his application. It is normal for the applicant to have to represent the way they are going to represent online communities in this way. If technically it is easy to do Aliasing for ccTLDs, I cannot see what the big deal is gTLDs. Of course it might have made things a bit clearly if I could have heard anything from today's meeting!

IDNCowboy
1st November 2007, 07:18 PM
Well we will see what Sammy's remarks are worth later.

As I see it, the aliasing is simply a matter of the applicant explaining the aliasing within his application. It is normal for the applicant to have to represent the way they are going to represent online communities in this way. If technically it is easy to do Aliasing for ccTLDs, I cannot see what the big deal is gTLDs. Of course it might have made things a bit clearly if I could have heard anything from today's meeting!
As always you should run for president. Sammy's remarks are worthless and you are King. Do not argue with RD. PERIOD

jacksonm
1st November 2007, 07:34 PM
If technically it is easy to do Aliasing for ccTLDs, I cannot see what the big deal is gTLDs.

Politics, pure politics.

Fka200
1st November 2007, 07:49 PM
For sure country codes will be aliased.

Any sources? Been hearing about IDN ccTLDs all week.

jacksonm
1st November 2007, 07:53 PM
Any sources? Been hearing about IDN ccTLDs all week.

No sources, just a strong feeling. I should have reworded that.

What's the latest?

Rubber Duck
1st November 2007, 08:00 PM
I am just trying to counteract what appears to be complete rumour mongering.

If there is something to this then somewhere there will be a document we can all look at. If there isn't then it is pure hogwash.

Please provide your references.

Anyway, if you want Arabic dot coms from me don't bother asking unless you are prepared to pay serious money.

It seems kind of weird that we have all this talking down of the prices when nobody even seems to be attempting to sell any of them.

jacksonm
1st November 2007, 08:18 PM
I am just trying to counteract what appears to be complete rumour mongering.

You've got a lot of policing to do!

Rubber Duck
1st November 2007, 08:40 PM
You've got a lot of policing to do!

If you actually analyse who has been contributing to writing the New gTLD policy over the months you will see why Verisign and the other gTLD registries are not going to be left out in the cold.

jacksonm
1st November 2007, 09:18 PM
If you actually analyse who has been contributing to writing the New gTLD policy over the months you will see why Verisign and the other gTLD registries are not going to be left out in the cold.

In your opinion, when would you estimate that .com and .net aliasing/dname (or similar) will be deployed to us for free? Just a guesstimate...

Rubber Duck
1st November 2007, 09:25 PM
In your opinion, when would you estimate that .com and .net aliasing/dname (or similar) will be deployed to us for free? Just a guesstimate...

Yes, with about 99% certainty.

The basic point is that ccTLD PDP are gTLD PDP are quite separate. China has its voice in the ccNSO whose remit is to govern ccTLDs whilst Verisign has its voice in a much smaller pond that govern the gTLDs. China may apply for a gTLD but they ain't writing the policy.

jacksonm
1st November 2007, 09:34 PM
Yes, with about 99% certainty.

The basic point is that ccTLD PDP are gTLD PDP are quite separate. China has its voice in the ccNSO whose remit is to govern ccTLDs whilst Verisign has its voice in a much smaller pond that govern the gTLDs. China may apply for a gTLD but they ain't writing the policy.

No, the question was "when".

Rubber Duck
2nd November 2007, 12:50 AM
Resolving, end of 2008.

IDNCowboy
2nd November 2007, 01:11 AM
Resolving, end of 2008.
As you have said in the past...

Sources please ;-)

Rubber Duck
2nd November 2007, 01:17 AM
As you have said in the past...

Sources please ;-)

I think the term he used was guestimate.

It is, however, quite clear that the policy won't be fully in place until June, so it seems reasonable to allow another 6 months or so after that for gTLD Aliases which are being fast tracked through the system.

I am not really that hung up about it. Only Arabic, Farsi and Urdu in my portfolio desperately need this, and these market are still really only beginning to develop.

The cash cows are Russian and Japanese probably. These markets should work perfectly adequate with IDN.com.

IDNCowboy
2nd November 2007, 01:25 AM

It is, however, quite clear that the policy won't be fully in place until June, so it seems reasonable to allow another 6 months or so after that for gTLD Aliases which are being fast tracked through the system.

I am not really that hung up about it. Only Arabic, Farsi and Urdu in my portfolio desperately need this, and these market are still really only beginning to develop.

The cash cows are Russian and Japanese probably. These markets should work perfectly adequate with IDN.com.
japan = idn .jp ;-)

Rubber Duck
2nd November 2007, 01:26 AM
japan = idn .jp ;-)

Fine if that is what you think then go for it!

IDNCowboy
2nd November 2007, 01:36 AM
Fine if that is what you think then go for it!
I have one of the best .jp portfolios around along with rhys, blast, sarcle & genius

Rubber Duck
2nd November 2007, 01:37 AM
I have one of the best .jp portfolios around along with rhys, blast, sarcle & genius

And your point?

IDNCowboy
2nd November 2007, 01:39 AM
And your point?
There is not one bad name in my portfolio. They are creme of the crop names. The .jp market is dried out. There is nothing good left. Those that missed the boat will have to pay us top dollar. Dname is likely to happen on cctld. DNAME is dead on .com .

Rubber Duck
2nd November 2007, 01:40 AM
There is not one bad name in my portfolio. They are creme of the crop names. The .jp market is dried out. There is nothing good left. Those that missed the boat will have to pay us top dollar. Dname is likely to happen on cctld. DNAME is dead on .com .

Really?

IDNCowboy
2nd November 2007, 01:41 AM
Really?
Yes Rubber Duck. The rest of the open .jp names are rubbish. Sorry but I can't give you further information for free. Information comes at a price. I suggest you give idnconsulting.com a shout

Rubber Duck
2nd November 2007, 01:42 AM
Yes Rubber Duck. The rest of the open .jp names are rubbish. Sorry but I can't give you further information for free. Information comes at a price. I suggest you give idnconsulting.com a shout

So this is what is known as information. I see. I think?

markits
2nd November 2007, 01:55 AM
Big mess big mess

g
2nd November 2007, 02:50 AM
if you would like to hear my humble opinion

"whether it is aliased or not arabic idn.com will be the top arabic idns for ever

top means it will receive most typeins , it will make most revenue, it will fetch most prices once sold.

not a single new extension will be able to come close to it."

the only thing, that can really threatens it, is that they allow new registrations at idn.com(idn)[transliteration] ... and that will never happen as discussed before due to confusing similarity rule in ICANN.

This is The end of first episode of Arabic IDN Movie

Next episode

ICANN Cancels idn.idn project due to financial uncertanity or No applications for new extensions received :)

tee1
2nd November 2007, 02:55 AM
if you would like to hear my humble opinion

"

thanks for sharing your opinion g, I for one value your opinion on arabic idns.

also agree, .com ain't going anywhere.

thanks
tee1

Fka200
2nd November 2007, 03:15 AM
the only thing, that can really threatens it, is that they allow new registrations at idn.com(idn)[transliteration] ... and that will never happen as discussed before due to confusing similarity rule in ICANN.

This is where the story gets more interesting. Don't say "never happen." A lot is currently going on behind the scenes.

Rubber Duck
2nd November 2007, 04:35 AM
This is where the story gets more interesting. Don't say "never happen." A lot is currently going on behind the scenes.

Whatever the rumours, that is not really how ICANN works. It is very bureaucratic. Before anything happens it has to appear in lot of reports, which are endless revised until they get the final version. Then is has to go for public consultation, even though it will have already been kicked around the various constituencies a dozen times. It is not an environment conducive to surprises.

touchring
2nd November 2007, 05:17 AM

I'm quite confident that they will never allow .com transliteration to happen independently without regards to corresponding idn.com. They might charge extra reg fee for the transliteration, but the idn.com holder will still be given priority to reserve the .com transliteration. But then, they must handle the nightmarish effects of major corporations forgetting to renew either one of the .com or transliteration and get their name snapped by phishing companies.

There can be massive money politics behind the scene, but when it comes to security, there can be no compromise, especially for internet domains.

Another possibility is that they will make idn.com a variant of idn.com (transliteration), but this will benefit idn.com in my opinion since all the best keywords will be reserved by the time they release the transliteration. The likelihood of this happening is not high since it will cause massive confusion.

Rubber Duck
2nd November 2007, 05:24 AM
I'm quite confident that they will never allow .com transliteration to happen independently without regards to idn.com. They might charge extra reg fee for the transliteration, but the idn.com holder will still be given priority to reserve the .com transliteration.

There can be massive money politics behind the scene, but when it comes to security, there can be no compromise, especially for internet domains.

I think one of the things we are all forgetting is that Dot Com is actually very special in as much as it is the only TLD that has more or less been granted in perpetuity. As I recall there was a beauty contest for reselection of dot net but not dot com. I think building this brand will be more important to Verisign than anything else.

When you talk about charging extra for Aliasing it is going to be very hard to do that. Some would wish to opt in whilst others will wish to opt out. I think the system will either alias every domain in the registry or none at all. So how exactly would that little business plan work?

touchring
2nd November 2007, 05:37 AM
I think one of the things we are all forgetting is that Dot Com is actually very special in as much as it is the only TLD that has more or less been granted in perpetuity. As I recall there was a beauty contest for reselection of dot net but not dot com. I think building this brand will be more important to Verisign than anything else.

When you talk about charging extra for Aliasing it is going to be very hard to do that. Some would wish to opt in whilst others will wish to opt out. I think the system will either alias every domain in the registry or none at all. So how exactly would that little business plan work?

Ok, this is the worst case scenario i can think of - we'll need to fork out additional money for the transliteration.

I've ruled out the possibility of having .com and .com transliteration launched independently - this is like doing a landrush for phishers.

jacksonm
2nd November 2007, 08:20 AM

Yes, that was my question. I know you believe aliasing is coming, so I just wanted to know when you think it will be working. End 2008 - that's pretty fast.

g
2nd November 2007, 12:17 PM

" Personal goals needs not be realistically attainable but the most important is that the person acts as if they are" Alfred Adler :)

bwhhisc
2nd November 2007, 09:25 PM
thanks for sharing your opinion g, I for one value your opinion on arabic idns. also agree, .com ain't going anywhere.

Glad to get your opinion gee. I thinking holding .com is still the trump card but its going to take some more
time for everything to shake out. Really hoping that dname is considered for RTL languages...but I guess
others will have to figure out that is the best solution.

jacksonm
2nd November 2007, 09:33 PM
Glad to get your opinion gee. I thinking holding .com is still the trump card but its going to take some more
time for everything to shake out. Really hoping that dname is considered for RTL languages...but I guess
others will have to figure out that is the best solution.

Hackers won't care about the ascii extension!

هاك.com