PDA

View Full Version : Arabic "take the space away" question.

DomainDialect
3rd November 2007, 01:40 AM
Can someone please tell me what happens when the space is taken away between two Arabic words? Sometimes they hook together as normal while other times they meld into seemingly one word that makes no sense ASCII wise. Does the meaning change completely? Is it something that simply can't be done?

Fka200
3rd November 2007, 01:41 AM
Depending on the last letter in the first word, there might need to be a hyphen. Some letters work, but 95% of them don't. You can PM me if you need any extra help.

DomainDialect
3rd November 2007, 01:58 AM
Depending on the last letter in the first word, there might need to be a hyphen. Some letters work, but 95% of them don't. You can PM me if you need any extra help.
I see. As an example I believe برج دبي stands for "Burj Dubai" or "Dubai Tower". When the space is removed it becomes "Bergdbe". I looked up the hyphenated version and it is registered. You have answered my question.
Thanks, Fka200!

Fka200
3rd November 2007, 02:22 AM
No problem. Tried to catch that when it was released, but lost it :). It's in good hands, though.

bwhhisc
3rd November 2007, 02:22 AM
This confuses me a bit too.
Some words you "join" and part of the letters disappear...these definately need hyphen.

Other words you join stay "whole", but become "conjoined". While they appear to be ledgible, they are still "nixed" as being improper by Arabic speakers. There are a few exceptions, but best to always ask.

Then there are the ones that can be "joined" but do not touch and all letters remain whole. These are the best keepers, but again probably worth checking with a native speaker.

DomainDialect
3rd November 2007, 02:33 AM
This confuses me a bit too.
Some words you "join" and part of the letters disappear...these definately need hyphen.

Other words you join stay "whole", but become "conjoined". While they appear to be ledgible, they are still "nixed" as being improper by Arabic speakers. There are a few exceptions, but best to always ask.

Then there are the ones that can be "joined" but do not touch and all letters remain whole. These are the best keepers, but again probably worth checking with a native speaker.
Exactly. I just tried several a short time ago and they appeared to be OK without losing any letters or parts of letters but I didn't want to take a chance. I agree. When in doubt go native.
Thanks for the input, bwhhisc.