PDA

View Full Version : What will Google's purchase of G.CN...

blackops
5th November 2007, 09:10 AM
...mean for idn.cn?

Will Google's acquisition of the g.cn domain name have any positive impact on the take up of idn.cn? Of course, google have had google.cn for awhile now and g.cn has obviously been obtained to satisfy google's (well publicised) desire to work with short brand names, but I think it does also show their commitment to .cn...

:-)

jacksonm
5th November 2007, 09:15 AM
...mean for idn.cn?

Will Google's acquisition of the g.cn domain name have any positive impact on the take up of idn.cn? Of course, google have had google.cn for awhile now and g.cn has obviously been obtained to satisfy google's (well publicised) desire to work with short brand names, but I think it does also show their commitment to .cn...

I think it's just a ploy for them to try to get g.com, as they will argue that it is confusingly similar to g.cn.

Rubber Duck
5th November 2007, 09:15 AM
I don't think it shows a preference one way or another. Google will almost certainly acquire G.com, but it will cost them a hell of a lot more!

...mean for idn.cn?

blackops
5th November 2007, 09:21 AM
Yes, of course, they want g.com too. I am not saying, by the way, that g.cn is in any way a substitute for g.com, as the name is purely for the Chinese market.

I am just wondering whether this very short ascii.cn will become a catalyst in boosting the idn.cn market...