PDA

View Full Version : SSL Certificates for IDNs

jacksonm
12th November 2007, 06:50 PM
Maybe you've already seen this, but I just discovered it and thought I'd share:

http://www.thawte.com/internationalized-domain-names/idns/index.html

Rubber Duck
12th November 2007, 06:57 PM
Nice, but bollocks really as you could always have registered the Punycode, but it is one small step to a seamless Unicode Environment, whereby Punycode slips quietly into the background.

Who knows, when the Japanese do get around to bringing out Internet 2.0, perhaps we will migrate to a Unicode Root and the Punycode disappears forever? Don't think M$ would ever survive such a challenge, but they may not even be around by then. :)

jacksonm
12th November 2007, 07:02 PM
Nice, but bollocks really as you could always have registered the Punycode, but it is one small step to a seamless Unicode Environment, whereby Punycode slips quietly into the background.

I think their main point is that they are the only published CA so far which uses unicode in the common name field of an SSL certificate. This is a major step toward user confidence. Users would never trust some xn-- crap if they actually looked at the certificate details.

burnsinternet
12th November 2007, 07:03 PM
Yes, very cool to see that. They are really pushing IDNs. Very helpful to have them on our side.

Rubber Duck
12th November 2007, 07:06 PM
Yes, very cool to see that. They are really pushing IDNs. Very helpful to have them on our side.

They are not on our side. They are batting for themselves. They clearly see this as the only logical means of taking their business forward. In other words the penny has dropped. Even FS seems to be admitting that IDNers are going to make a fortune but he has more or less missed out on the party!

jacksonm
12th November 2007, 07:08 PM

You know Thawte was founded by Mark Shuttleworth back in the 90s and he made a killing, selling it to Verisign for 2 bn USD I believe. You may know him better today as the founder of Canonical, the Canadian company that founded and provides commercial support for Ubuntu Linux. He will sell that one for another few bn some day.

You may also know Mark as the first civilian ever to take a trip to the Space Station.

burnsinternet
12th November 2007, 07:24 PM
They are not on our side. They are batting for themselves. They clearly see this as the only logical means of taking their business forward. In other words the penny has dropped. Even FS seems to be admitting that IDNers are going to make a fortune but he has more or less missed out on the party!

We are on the same side with them, and we are VERY lucky to have them on the same side. Yes, they are batting for themselves. If they did NOT have the same view of IDNs, we would see a longer time for user acceptance. They created the plugin that allowed IE users to view IDNs. If they were anti-IDN, how well would this have gone?