PDA

View Full Version : What Phase Are We In ?

thegenius1
14th November 2007, 04:59 AM
Was reading a old thread earlier about what phase we were in at that time.

So i pose the question again ?

Im about ready for this goddyammut ! I'll save the Euros lol

http://www.xcomment.com/g3/img/TP110207061143.gif

touchring
14th November 2007, 05:02 AM
Traffic wise, IDNs are like ASCII was in 1994.

Awareness wise, IDNs might be no better than ASCII was in 1994.

Hack, i suspect that many people think of IDNs as spyware on their browser!

If i didn't know about IDNs, i'll be scanning my PC for viruses and trojan!

thegenius1
14th November 2007, 05:10 AM
Traffic wise, IDNs are like ASCII was in 1994.

Awareness wise, IDNs might be no better than ASCII was in 1994.

Hack, i suspect that many people think of IDNs as spyware on their browser!

If i didn't know about IDNs, i'll be scanning my PC for viruses and trojan!

LOL , well we don't have that problem with .jp

Displays in the browser beautifully

Rubber Duck
14th November 2007, 05:14 AM
Don't know about IDN, but this might be useful to gauge where you are up to:

Poem lyrics of Seven Ages Of Man by William Shakespeare.

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players,
They have their exits and entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
Then, the whining schoolboy with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honour, sudden, and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice
In fair round belly, with good capon lin'd,
With eyes severe, and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws, and modern instances,
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slipper'd pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose, and pouch on side,
His youthful hose well sav'd, a world too wide,
For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
Turning again towards childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

touchring
14th November 2007, 05:33 AM
LOL , well we don't have that problem with .jp

Displays in the browser beautifully

It doesn't matter how it displays on the browser, if i didn't know about IDNs, i would have thought it to be a bug.

thegenius1
14th November 2007, 05:39 AM
It doesn't matter how it displays on the browser, if i didn't know about IDNs, i would have thought it to be a bug.

Ah i see what you mean

Rubber Duck
14th November 2007, 05:49 AM
I am afraid I don't.

There were no parking pages in 1994. Nobody would have even been aware of the prospect of commercial traffic until much latter than that.

Google Adwords and Sedo Parking emerged around 2002.

There are a lot of claims about who made all this public knowledge. Domainguru here was certainly one of the people to get the word out early on.

When was the first Moniker Live Auction? Perhaps that would be better guide of where we are up to!

jacksonm
14th November 2007, 05:57 AM
I am afraid I don't.

There were no parking pages in 1994. Nobody would have even been aware of the prospect of commercial traffic until much latter than that.

Exactly. How many of you who throw around the 1994 number were actually on the net in 1994?

I tell you, there weren't any graphical web browsers or search engines. Every damned site on the web was linked from some other site. You used the text based lynx browser when you wanted to surf. Hell, windows didn't even have a TCP/IP stack. You got on the net with Linux of FreeBSD if you were smart enough.

Most of the online usage in 94 was still dial-up BBS systems, with email being run via FidoNet. I used to run a FidoNet mail node back in 1995 up in the Seattle area.

It wasn't until Windows 95 came out (January 96) that people really started to get on the net - Windows came with it's own TCP/IP stack and dial-up networking. ISPs started popping up like mushrooms. People with no computer experience were selling their family businesses to start ISPs, etc.

touchring
14th November 2007, 06:14 AM
Exactly. How many of you who throw around the 1994 number were actually on the net in 1994?

I tell you, there weren't any graphical web browsers or search engines. Every damned site on the web was linked from some other site. You used the text based lynx browser when you wanted to surf. Hell, windows didn't even have a TCP/IP stack. You got on the net with Linux of FreeBSD if you were smart enough.

Most of the online usage in 94 was still dial-up BBS systems, with email being run via FidoNet. I used to run a FidoNet mail node back in 1995 up in the Seattle area.

It wasn't until Windows 95 came out (January 96) that people really started to get on the net - Windows came with it's own TCP/IP stack and dial-up networking. ISPs started popping up like mushrooms. People with no computer experience were selling their family businesses to start ISPs, etc.

You got to see that i am referring to the biggest IDN end user markets, China, Japan, Russia, and not domainers or speculators. China didn't even have a functional internet until 1998.

Are IDNs functional yet?

No.

90% of browsers in China and Japan don't support IDNs. It is no better than 1994. At least in 1994, those nerds could use Lynx.

Another consideration, those guys, FS, DK didn't get into domains in 1994, they got in after 1996. DK got in because he was earning tons of money from adult names. Until both of them are into IDNs, then i'll say we are at 1996.

How about us?

We're the crazy people that got in at 1993, and likewise, there will be people that drop them in time to come, just like so many domains were dropped between 1995 and 1998, only to be picked up by DK and likes.

Fka200
14th November 2007, 06:20 AM
Really good information Joshua. I was doing a bit of research before this thread was started to see where we actually were, and I agree with you 100%.

touchring
14th November 2007, 06:45 AM
Really good information Joshua. I was doing a bit of research before this thread was started to see where we actually were, and I agree with you 100%.

Thks, i was looking at the end user point of view. So are FS and DK.

They are not wrong, IDNs are not ready, they are not supported by the infrastructure at large, yet.

Rubber Duck
14th November 2007, 07:15 AM
Frankly this is cobblers.

We all know about the IE7 situation in the Far East, but elsewhere IE6 has been more or less superceded in less than 12months. This has been delayed in the Far East due to special circumstances but when thing start to roll IE6 should be eliminated even quicker.

What your analysis fails to understand is that all the trial and error in the construction of business models has already been done. All people really need to do is copy it. Most in the West would argue that nobody is better able to do this than the Chinese and Japanese, although that does rather underestimate their own ingenuity.

jacksonm
14th November 2007, 07:24 AM
Thks, i was looking at the end user point of view. So are FS and DK.

They are not wrong, IDNs are not ready, they are not supported by the infrastructure at large, yet.

According to google analytics, I am getting direct traffic on Arabic domains from Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Algeria, and Morocco. I also got it from Australia, Canada, Ukraine, and Australia, but I don't count those.

Direct traffic levels are about 4.5% for one Arabic domain in particular (al marefah).

I suppose in a couple of years, I can expect tens of thousands of visits per day!

Rubber Duck
14th November 2007, 07:33 AM
Yes, this is the whole point.

We are not looking for traffic increase of 3-5 times like those in the ASCII World are.

We are looking to see traffic increase by 3-5 but in powers of ten!

With about 99% percent certainty this is going to work, we are seeing buyers expecting to purchase on multiples of current traffic.

Who exactly do they think they are f*cking kidding?

According to google analytics, I am getting direct traffic on Arabic domains from Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Algeria, and Morocco. I also got it from Australia, Canada, Ukraine, and Australia, but I don't count those.

Direct traffic levels are about 4.5% for one Arabic domain in particular (al marefah).

I suppose in a couple of years, I can expect tens of thousands of visits per day!

touchring
14th November 2007, 07:41 AM
btw, has anyone tried minisite with arabics?

thegenius1
14th November 2007, 07:45 AM
What your analysis fails to understand is that all the trial and error in the construction of business models has already been done. All people really need to do is copy it.

Thats what will produce catering to your A$$ with this

http://www.xcomment.com/g3/img/TP110207061143.gif

zenmarketing
14th November 2007, 07:52 AM
Anyone making an offer for an IDN based on multiples of current traffic is either being insulting, or woefully ignorant.

jacksonm
14th November 2007, 08:28 AM
btw, has anyone tried minisite with arabics?

I have several of mine on minisites, but they aren't running ads. It's just to get them indexed and track via analytics.

I'm not interested in the 1 cent clicks. They just piss me off, so I'd rather do without for now.

touchring
14th November 2007, 08:32 AM
I have several of mine on minisites, but they aren't running ads. It's just to get them indexed and track via analytics.

I'm not interested in the 1 cent clicks. They just piss me off, so I'd rather do without for now.

Ok, thks, i was just wondering if minisites in arabic makes sense.

jacksonm
14th November 2007, 08:39 AM

Yes IMO it makes very good sense in that it provides you valuable insights about the Arabic online world. You don't need to do layout, just put a page of good text up in black and white.

You aren't losing much by not parking them at the moment, and when Arabic online advertising budgets finally appear then all you need to do is flesh out your well ranked site a bit and drop some adsense there.

This is my suggestion for now with Arabics. However, I am trying to do more development to mine since I have a partner from Saudi Arabia.

Fka200
14th November 2007, 08:43 AM
In response to Arabic mini-sites, they are hardly worth it for revenue. Better to keep up a page full of ads rather than text + ads. I've been keeping stats since October 2006 on a couple sites... and just got myself into a year long test for 08.

As for Arabic advertising budgets, I really hope they hurry up. This time last year there were barely any Arabic ads... at least there's something today! They still pay EXTREMELY crappy.

jacksonm
14th November 2007, 08:51 AM
As for Arabic advertising budgets, I really hope they hurry up. This time last year there were barely any Arabic ads... at least there's something today! They still pay EXTREMELY crappy.

The Arabic advertising budgets are still nearly all for prime-time satellite tv at this moment. I don't expect that to change until some drastic changes take place in the Arabic online world. The only Arabic adsense you see now are arbitrage for Forex and Dating, no wonder they pay so little.

Fka200
14th November 2007, 08:55 AM
The Arabic advertising budgets are still nearly all for prime-time satellite tv at this moment. I don't expect that to change until some drastic changes take place in the Arabic online world. The only Arabic adsense you see now are arbitrage for Forex and Dating, no wonder they pay so little.

Bingo! Extremely well said. I've been arguing this since last year when saying I'm getting extremely crappy PPC and was forced to diversify. Stats compared to Arabic's are hilarious (that means not good). I do have faith in the Arabics for the future; I give it 2-3 years before anything worthy happens. I'm more focussed on developing something that helps more than is just made for revenue. The Middle Eastern internet infrastructure is very undeveloped compared to other parts of the world. I can go on and write a whole term paper about it, but it's 2AM and really time for me to sleep.

jacksonm
20th November 2007, 08:34 PM

OK, I decided to try it out, so I put 2 ad blocks on one of my arabic minisites today and it already got 2 clicks for a total of $0.14. This is about 700% better than ND payouts were for clicks on the same domain.

touchring
21st November 2007, 03:02 AM
OK, I decided to try it out, so I put 2 ad blocks on one of my arabic minisites today and it already got 2 clicks for a total of $0.14. This is about 700% better than ND payouts were for clicks on the same domain.

Thks, what's the CTR. i noticed the forex and oil ads. :)

jacksonm
21st November 2007, 08:02 AM
Thks, what's the CTR. i noticed the forex and oil ads. :)

Well if you looked at the page in my sig, then that is one out of two sites I put ads on now and that is not the site I was referring to. That ads on that site still aren't working properly (still showing PSA at the bottom block) and haven't received any clicks.

The site I was referring to, I had only put ads there for less than a day and the ctr was about 6%.

touchring
21st November 2007, 08:07 AM
Well if you looked at the page in my sig, then that is one out of two sites I put ads on now and that is not the site I was referring to. That ads on that site still aren't working properly (still showing PSA at the bottom block) and haven't received any clicks.

The site I was referring to, I had only put ads there for less than a day and the ctr was about 6%.

only 6%? You might not do much better than ND.

jacksonm
21st November 2007, 09:56 AM
only 6%? You might not do much better than ND.

Except that the payout is around 700% that of ND. I have never got 7 cent clicks for arabics at ND - every one of them have been adjusted to 1 cent. Another thing is that ND only serves arabic to UAE. This excludes like 95% of arabic traffic.

I'll run this test for a few days and see how it averages.

Fka200
21st November 2007, 10:13 AM
Another thing is that ND only serves arabic to UAE. This excludes like 95% of arabic traffic.

Not only UAE. It works with other countries 2.

jacksonm
21st November 2007, 10:59 AM
Not only UAE. It works with other countries 2.

If you go into settings and then click the preview icon, and drop down the country list - UAE is the only Arabic country which is shown.

Fka200
21st November 2007, 11:16 AM
If you go into settings and then click the preview icon, and drop down the country list - UAE is the only Arabic country which is shown.

Had them checked and screenshot sent 4 months ago that they are working in other countries. It works... the page is in Arabic. Also tested with Russian from Russia.

touchring
21st November 2007, 11:24 AM
Except that the payout is around 700% that of ND. I have never got 7 cent clicks for arabics at ND - every one of them have been adjusted to 1 cent. Another thing is that ND only serves arabic to UAE. This excludes like 95% of arabic traffic.

I'll run this test for a few days and see how it averages.

Thks for the feedback, now the hard part - creating the minsite. :o

domainstosell
21st November 2007, 07:51 PM
I occaisionally get a "big" click for Arabic domains on ND - I had a $0.32 click the other day on اغانىعربية.com

My average ppc on مصارعه.com is at $0.05, and $0.04 on دردشةعراقية.com...

I need to start focusing on minisites again.