PDA

View Full Version : Someone getting taken for one?

Wot
14th November 2007, 10:47 AM
ríde.com 1,000 $US 1 2d 20h 17m

Guess where. :)

markits
14th November 2007, 11:12 AM
looks like a sedo one again.
Or else ebay?

domainguru
14th November 2007, 11:12 AM
ríde.com 1,000 $US 1 2d 20h 17m

Guess where. :)

i noticed englìsh.com was one of their featured domains yesterday, and it is listed for ssale at 222 euros. The seller also has these fine domains available:

amerìcan.com
antìvìrus.com
bookìng.com
càfe.com
cìnema.com
dìgìtal.com
ìdn.com
dìsc.com
dìsco.com
englìsh.com
forèx.com
foréx.com
gìft.com
gòlf.com
gólf.com
harddìsk.com
hospìtal.com
kìng.com
medìa.com
mìlk.com
movìe.com
nysé.com
pìcture.com
shìp.com
shìt.com
ìtaly.com
whìskey.com
whìsky.com

just so many great ones, not sure where to put my cash ....

jose
14th November 2007, 02:25 PM
Shouldn't this people be reported? This will bring a lot of BAD media atention to IDNs sooner or later...

domainguru
14th November 2007, 03:03 PM
Shouldn't this people be reported? This will bring a lot of BAD media atention to IDNs sooner or later...

Sedo know, and choose to do nothing. Outside of them, who can we report this to? The domains aren't illegal, just rubbish and misleading.

Rubber Duck
14th November 2007, 03:13 PM
Offer the story to Jay. It would give him the opportunity to lamblast one his competitors without the fear of making a fool of himself.

jose
14th November 2007, 04:24 PM
[...] and misleading.

Isn't a misleading sale ilegal?

domainguru
14th November 2007, 04:28 PM

Well, the seller would claim it wasn't misleading, as the accent is clearly visible.

The real blame, to my mind, lies in people that actually bid on these names. What planet were they ejected from? What do they think they are buying? Perhaps its just people having "senior moments" or being very drunk, or both...

jacksonm
14th November 2007, 04:28 PM

You obviously know nothing of US business culture :-)

domainguru
14th November 2007, 04:34 PM
You obviously know nothing of US business culture :-)

But Sedo are German :)

jacksonm
14th November 2007, 04:41 PM

Most of their sales and marketing occur within the US, I believe.

I was going to write another conspiracy theory, but I'm too tired.

touchring
14th November 2007, 04:45 PM
Well, the seller would claim it wasn't misleading, as the accent is clearly visible.

People that do not know about idns will think the accent is a typo by the seller.

jose
14th November 2007, 04:47 PM

Good point! Europeans and Germans! take this stuff seriously!

Read todays news about Google and Doubleclick, hehe

domainguru
14th November 2007, 04:50 PM
People that do not know about idns will think the accent is a typo by the seller.

Everyone knows you are buying the domain as listed.

If I saw the domain "blackbery.com" listed for $500, I wouldn't think I was getting blackberry.com would I?

idnowner
14th November 2007, 05:24 PM
In the case of someone selling English-looking words with the accented í in place of the "normal/romanji" i, the seller should identify the domain as such - by indicating that it is an "accented i," or that it is an IDN, and should also provide the punycode representation.

Buyers also have some degree of the responsibility to check out the seller and know what he or she is buying. You don't go to an auction and bid half a million dollars on a famous artwork without validation or guarantee of authenticity. It does, however, seem to me that the buyer is trying to take advantage of gullible people, or may even believe that these domains have value.

Rubber Duck
14th November 2007, 05:29 PM
My problem is with Sedo. :mad:

They must be totally brain dead to do this to their company and reputation.

After they have established a reputation as vendor of phishing domains, what bona fide business is going to want to deal with them? :p

yanni
14th November 2007, 06:38 PM
Are typos misleading?

These could be considered as typos on a Hungarian keyboard, no?

Rubber Duck
14th November 2007, 06:40 PM
Are typos misleading?

These could be considered as typos on a Hungarian keyboard, no?

Maybe, but I don't think Sedo can handle all Hungarian characters, so what kind of lame excuse would that be?

In the race to get a slice of the action, Sedo are going to be starting from the Pit Lane.

yanni
14th November 2007, 06:59 PM
Agree, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Technically it seems that the seller(s) are not misleading anyone.

jose
14th November 2007, 06:59 PM
http://www.sedo.se/auction/auction_detail.php?language=se&auction_id=20890&tracked=&partnerid=

IDN
v¡p.com, ¡f.com, gambl¡ng.com, f¡rst.com, ¡s.com, g¡rls.com, cred¡t.com, shopp¡ng.com, ¡n.com, who¡s.com, t¡ckets.com, r¡p.com, t¡me.com, spec¡al.com, 2øø8.com, Amer¡ca.com, b¡z.com, Chr¡stmas.com, cl¡ck.com, dat¡ng.com, z¡p.com, doma¡ner.com, erot¡c.com, s¡te.com, ¡nvest.com (sorry but the only way how you can get more info and/or order an IDN domain is to copy and paste your chosen URL into the Sedo search field on the left-hand side)

jacksonm
14th November 2007, 07:08 PM
This is either pure ignorance or they are being bribed to give IDN a bad name.

Steve Clarke
14th November 2007, 10:34 PM
Sedo are acting totally irresponsible, in this regard.....I guess they don't mind if they give IDNS a bad name...however you would think they would care at least a little bit about their own reputation!
Sedo are about as shortsighted as they come.
Shame on you...Sedo.

Wot
14th November 2007, 10:43 PM
They should at least be for sale on Sedó.com :rolleyes:

burnsinternet
14th November 2007, 10:45 PM
These same types of domains sell on Ebay as look-a-likes, knock-offs, novelty domains.... The success of these domains is short-lived. It is a fad. Don't stress out.