PDA

View Full Version : Jay Westerdal Posts About IDN's

jose
15th November 2007, 03:31 AM
...the hard way:

Have you every wanted to check if a domain was available for a common word for phrase in a different language. Asking us how to do a whois lookup on an IDN domain name is actually a common question in our support ticket system. So I thought I would let the world know how to do it. Perhaps you want to look at the whois record for “world map” in Korean. Here is a step-by-step instruction on how to do it.

1. Head over to Google Translate.
2. Enter in your words, such as “world map”.
3. Select the language you want to translate into. Example: “English to Korean”
4. If your results look like, “????”, then you need to install a language pack for your operating system. On WindowsXP it is really easy, just follow these instructions for the Microsoft Language Packs on Microsoft’s website. You can enable this from your control panel in a few minutes.
5. Once you have the translated words and it will look like a foreign language and it can be copied and pasted it into domaintools search box. Then the last step is to append “.com” to it. Then hit search and it will auto-translate it into the IDN script.

http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/11/how-to-check-the-whois-record-of-an-idn-domain/

Conclusion: 100% misleading title, he is finding free IDN domains using Google translator

zenmarketing
15th November 2007, 05:50 AM
http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/11/how-to-check-the-whois-record-of-an-idn-domain/

Olney
15th November 2007, 06:07 AM
Good post it creates awareness & it shows progress that mainstream domainers are interested in the same things that this site wrote about 2 years ago.

Olney
15th November 2007, 06:21 AM
Threads merged since they are the same

jacksonm
15th November 2007, 07:21 AM
With newer versions of linux, there is unicode support in the terminal and IDN support in network information tools.

For example, you can open a terminal and give this command just by pasting the unicode word / domain name into the terminal:

whois ハート.com

domainguru
15th November 2007, 09:43 AM
Jay's post is very interesting, in that:

a) He is regging IDNs
b) He doesn't seem to have a clue how to do it ...

Its like going back in time to before IDNF existed and we all had weird and wonderful ways to attempt to locate and register IDNs.

Love the guy that commented:

-----
Wait a tick,
It’s possible to register international characters? …
I wonder if this requires any special DNS server configuration(s).
------

I wonder if this level of ignorance is still prevalent amongst the ASCII population.

Rubber Duck
15th November 2007, 09:55 AM
Perhaps we have located our Bot. :p

bwhhisc
15th November 2007, 10:20 AM
Hey Genius, I gave you IDNeBook a shameless plug on his blog. :)

jacksonm
15th November 2007, 10:27 AM

Come on, Bill, I'm still in growth mode.

bwhhisc
15th November 2007, 10:52 AM
Ya should have bought a few lists. :p LOL
Genius doesn't want the word out but he sells the keys to the treasure chest.

markits
15th November 2007, 11:00 AM

LOL

Greedy MJ..;) :rolleyes:

Rubber Duck
15th November 2007, 11:05 AM

I would set yourself a deadline of Saturday.

There is a lot of buzz out there at the moment. If we make decent sales on Saturday that could quickly turn to hysteria!

jacksonm
15th November 2007, 11:06 AM
Ya should have bought a few lists. :p LOL

Heh, I'm only after big game. I don't have enough patience to shoot a thousand squirrels. I admire those of you who do, though.

Genius doesn't want the word out but he sells the keys to the treasure chest.

Yeah, that is ironic isn't it?

bwhhisc
15th November 2007, 11:25 AM
Heh, I'm only after big game. I don't have enough patience to shoot a thousand squirrels. I admire those of you who do, though.
Yeah, I was unduly influenced by the dynamite fishing king. Patience is not something we have much of either. :)

Rubber Duck
15th November 2007, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I was unduly influenced by the dynamite fishing king. Patience is not something we have much of either. :)

Alpha only turned up with Dynamite because the Loading Shovel tactic wasn't working any :p more!

jose
15th November 2007, 05:33 PM
ALERT: DON'T use the http://whois.domaintools.com/IDN.tld too much:

You're adding names to the polemic Registrant Search Database

"Your Name" owns about xxx other domains New!

mulligan
15th November 2007, 06:22 PM
ALERT: DON'T use the http://whois.domaintools.com/IDN.tld too much:

You're adding names to the polemic Registrant Search Database

"Your Name" owns about xxx other domains New!

This page doesn't load anymore ...

thegenius1
15th November 2007, 07:20 PM

Thanks bill , its time to make that X 10 mark up on the book :p

The tutorial was made initially to get people interested in IDN's and Lure them to this forum. I like to price the keys to the treasure chest very high so with that said the idnebook maybe going from 50 to 250 or maybe 500 haven't decided yet. Hell i might even take it down and put up page that reads "We Want No More Competition" LOL

bwhhisc
15th November 2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks bill , its time to make that X 10 mark up on the book. The tutorial was made initially to get people interested in IDN's and Lure them to this forum. I like to price the keys to the treasure chest very high so with that said the idnebook maybe going from 50 to 250 or maybe 500 haven't decided yet. Hell i might even take it down and put up page that reads "We Want No More Competition" LOL

As long as I get my 50% referral cut thats fine with me!
In fact, you can apply it towards my copy of the Genius' IDN Instant Website 101 tutorial. :)

thegenius1
15th November 2007, 09:56 PM
As long as I get my 50% referral cut thats fine with me!
In fact, you can apply it towards my copy of the Genius' IDN Instant Website 101 tutorial. :)

LOL , i think that tut will stay underground :p

IDNCowboy
15th November 2007, 11:52 PM
wow jay is a genius....

By popular request here are some translation examples. I translated “World Map”:

артамира.com (Russian)
世界地図.com (Japanese)
παγκοσμιοχαρτη.com (Greek)
세계지도.com (Korean)
خريطه لعال.com (Arabic)

Arabic translation is wrong
I think the russian version is messing a "K" in the front

rkae
16th November 2007, 05:27 AM
yes, russian translation is missing that "k".

Rubber Duck
16th November 2007, 05:31 AM
To be a good IDNer, you need to be able to cut and paste. It looks like Jay didn't make the cut!

yanni
16th November 2007, 05:39 AM
Greek is close but wrong as well.

thegenius1
16th November 2007, 05:47 AM
Greek is close but wrong as well.

That makes 3 of 5 wrong , And Korean is probably wrong as well. I'm awaiting on confirmation.

ctrl c and ctrl v is the Key , if you haven't worn out those keys on your keyboard before well you aren't doing your job.

jacksonm
16th November 2007, 06:49 AM
wow jay is a genius....

Arabic translation is wrong
I think the russian version is messing a "K" in the front

Oh they are gonna have a field day with Arabic two-word combos when they realize that all the one-worders are gone.

Successfully regging arabic requires extra special knowledge, as does Russian.

Rubber Duck
16th November 2007, 07:11 AM
Oh they are gonna have a field day with Arabic two-word combos when they realize that all the one-worders are gone.

Successfully regging arabic requires extra special knowledge, as does Russian.

Three letter combos should be quite amusing as well!

Special knowledge? I am glad I got in before it got to the Combos stage!

burnsinternet
16th November 2007, 07:55 AM
I am going to die laughing at this thread!

Thanks for making this amusing, and not grotesque.

jacksonm
16th November 2007, 08:09 AM
Three letter combos should be quite amusing as well!

Special knowledge? I am glad I got in before it got to the Combos stage!

There are all sorts of pitfalls even with single-word arabics that you need to be aware of. Even if you don't know the language, you need to have more than a basic understanding of the script. It's not that simple and you know it. Even some of yours / Jose's early primary terms were shown to be other than the most common spelling by Ala101, re pyramids.

Rubber Duck
16th November 2007, 09:00 AM
Basically, what has shown to be correct is what gives the most Google results, provided Google have indexed it properly. There are often problems with what Google indexes when they first do languages. I think they are good on Arabic now but still struggling with Indic scripts, although things are much better than they were.

We do have the best term for Pyramids.

Right in the domain context does not always mean most grammatically pure!

There are all sorts of pitfalls even with single-word arabics that you need to be aware of. Even if you don't know the language, you need to have more than a basic understanding of the script. It's not that simple and you know it. Even some of yours / Jose's early primary terms were shown to be other than the most common spelling by Ala101, re pyramids.

IDNCowboy
16th November 2007, 01:08 PM
Jay made the russian correction but didn't give me credit... I guess it was his staff's fault again!

Rubber Duck
16th November 2007, 01:20 PM
You can always drip feed him the other corrections, if you want to make a point! :p