PDA

View Full Version : Dot CNs - anyone has luck getting traffic?

touchring
15th November 2007, 08:31 AM
I just started experimenting with my dot cns. Has anyone got luck getting traffic on their cn??

bwhhisc
15th November 2007, 11:46 AM
Not much either, but I only have a few dozen so its a small sample.
Do you think its a case of the great China firewall, or having the domain pointed to namedrive?
Some have said they block Namedrive from inside China.

touchring
15th November 2007, 11:54 AM
Not much either, but I only have a few dozen so its a small sample.
Do you think its a case of the great China firewall, or having the domain pointed to namedrive?
Some have said they block Namedrive from inside China.

You can point to Silverclicks or Dopa.

I pointed a prime name, top 20 keyword type, but still no sign of traffic. Dusty got quite a few top .cn, care to comment?

markits
15th November 2007, 11:54 AM
Type-in traffic usually happens to .com domains in China. You can speculate on few .cns but do not expect any type-ins.
Again, com is the king in China.

Rubber Duck
15th November 2007, 12:02 PM
Type-in traffic usually happens to .com domains in China. You can speculate on few .cns but do not expect any type-ins.
Again, com is the king in China.

Yes, this flies in total contradiction to the views and expectations of the wider industry. They all assume that .cn and .jp are the natural market leaders, but this is a total fallicy and always has been. My investment decision were steared from an early time by the differences in traffic between dot Coms and dot CN for the same keywords, even though the sample used was small.

It matters not whether what happens with IDN.IDN, the dot Com registry is always going to be top dog, and the form used is highly likely to be the ASCII form. This may seem odd, but it should not really come as a surprise. Dot Com is a global megabrand. The Japanese and to a lesser extent the Chinese have alway naturally mixed ASCII strings into their language, where they are readily identifiable by all. I think Verisign will Alias to dot com in both these languages, but I doubt if these aliases will be greatly used in the short-term.

bwhhisc
15th November 2007, 12:08 PM
They all assume that .cn and .jp are the natural market leaders, but this is a total fallicy and always has been.
The Japanese seem to very much in tune with .jp from what Rhys, Olney and others have posted here.
Almost all emails wanting to buy Japanese idns by locals are looking for .jp.
I reg'd both .com and .jp so happy however it plays out. All in all, both extensions should be winners.

touchring
15th November 2007, 12:11 PM
They all assume that .cn and .jp are the natural market leaders.

I don't care who are the leaders. I just want to know whether anyone here gets traffic for .cn so i can plan my .cn renewal budget. :o

Rubber Duck
15th November 2007, 12:15 PM
The Japanese seem to very much in tune with .jp from what Rhys, Olney and others have posted here.
I reg'd both .com and .jp so happy however it plays out. All in all, both extensions should be winners.

Dot JP is not Dot DE which has 11.5 Million registrations. Dot Com is a major influence in Japan, but I suspect the promotion of dot JP by JPRS is having some impact. Anyway, time will tell. I cannot say I am worried.

blackops
15th November 2007, 01:55 PM
I don't care who are the leaders. I just want to know whether anyone here gets traffic for .cn so i can plan my .cn renewal budget. :o

Hi Touchring, I have quite a few 'category' type idn.cn's. Basically, yes they do get traffic - not much tho, and for the real prime names it's anything up to 150 type-in's a week.

I believe that traffic will improve however, but this may be a fairly slow process unless some major event accelerates their usage/recognition!

touchring
15th November 2007, 02:11 PM
and for the real prime names it's anything up to 150 type-in's a week.

Thks for the feedback. btw, do you have screens caps for this?

markits
15th November 2007, 02:28 PM
Only type in traffic counts. SE indexed ones means very little here.

touchring
15th November 2007, 02:59 PM
Only type in traffic counts. SE indexed ones means very little here.

Well, i'm ok if there is just a couple of type-in a week for better names - i can use it as an inspiration to acquire more .CNs.

To be frank, i'm on an acquisition path, but i'm waivering because of the renewal cost and hope that PPC can offset more of it.

IDNCowboy
15th November 2007, 03:02 PM
You can argue til your face turns red... You're not gonna win against RD ;-)

blackops
15th November 2007, 03:13 PM

I'm sure there will be room for both idn.com and idn.cctld/idn.idn :-)

Of course, if you have a portfolio that is almost entirely idn.com then your whole reality will revolve around idn.com and it's success (not making any direct comment towards anyone here, just making the point that we all find a way of supporting/defending our investment decisions in some way..).

Good luck to everyone.. idn.com and idn.cctld/idn.idn holders alike :-)

Touch: I have screen caps but am not willing to post/pm anything here - hope u understand :-)

touchring
15th November 2007, 03:23 PM
Thks everyone, still no evidence of traffic so far, hope to see more comments.

Also, pls, no fighting over .jp here, start another thread if you need to. This one is reserved for .cn. :)

bwhhisc
15th November 2007, 03:26 PM
I don't care who are the leaders. I just want to know whether anyone here gets traffic for .cn so i can plan my .cn renewal budget.
Opt for the night job or sell us all a few for cheap. :)

At least he's not wishy washy on his convictions. Don't worry we will all have years of "fun" dragging
up old posts etc. once it all plays out over the next few years.

touchring
15th November 2007, 03:31 PM
Opt for the night job or sell us all a few for cheap. :)

I hope i could, but i got too few of .CNs to sell. Less than your few dozens. The traffic situation and renewal fees (especially), kept me back from registering them last year. Also, ironically most of the better .CNs were registered even early last year, the same time you guys were sweeping prime .JPs by the thousands.

Rubber Duck
15th November 2007, 03:45 PM
I hope i could, but i got too few of .CNs to sell. Less than your few dozens. The traffic situation and renewal fees (especially), kept me back from registering them last year. Also, ironically most of the better .CNs were registered even early last year, the same time you guys were sweeping prime .JPs by the thousands.

Well I must admit with all the chatter and the spill over into Gongsi, I had assumed that you had hundreds if not thousands of them!

touchring
15th November 2007, 03:54 PM
Well I must admit with all the chatter and the spill over into Gongsi, I had assumed that you had hundreds if not thousands of them!

Well, why not so? Not everyone chatters only because of a commercial interest. Some do take domaining as a hobby and will discuss it like they would discuss the latest sports rims, home video system, and victorian period stamp. Of cos, if it does earn money, like some rare stamps do, all the better! :)

bwhhisc
15th November 2007, 04:20 PM
Sometime it all feels like a giant game of liars poker. :p
Now who said dozens? lol

Rubber Duck
15th November 2007, 05:11 PM
So when I coined the term bollocks talkers, I hit it right on the head! :mad:

dusty
15th November 2007, 06:22 PM
I pointed a prime name, top 20 keyword type, but still no sign of traffic. Dusty got quite a few top .cn, care to comment?

My .cns are my favorite, but at this point I don't have them pointing to anything. Ever since they took LawSchool.cn I am too scared that without an ICP code or clear rule by CNNIC that I would be risking them being taken. Therefore I have no traffic data at this time.

I intend to set up a China company and attempt to get an ICP starting in June.

The launch of G.cn will also help the cn brand

Rubber Duck
15th November 2007, 07:08 PM
Not sure about that. Alexa rankings for search in China are:

Baidu.com Ranked 13
Baidu.cn Ranked 14932

Google.cn Ranked 60

Yahoo.cn Ranked 5890

thegenius1
15th November 2007, 07:41 PM
Dot JP is not Dot DE which has 11.5 Million registrations. Dot Com is a major influence in Japan, but I suspect the promotion of dot JP by JPRS is having some impact. Anyway, time will tell. I cannot say I am worried.

I think they will both share the thrown to a certain extent. But Like Olney has said before .jp has home court advantage because JPRS doesnt make money off Dot Com. Dot JP currently displays correctly in the Browser. Dot JP has a ton of Japanese companies in the Whois owning their brands. And also to be noted if you go back through all Dot Com Vs Dot Jp debates you will clearly see every Japanese Native said .JP it is , but do diversify.

touchring
16th November 2007, 05:57 AM
My .cns are my favorite, but at this point I don't have them pointing to anything. Ever since they took LawSchool.cn I am too scared that without an ICP code or clear rule by CNNIC that I would be risking them being taken. Therefore I have no traffic data at this time.

I intend to set up a China company and attempt to get an ICP starting in June.

The launch of G.cn will also help the cn brand

Hope you learnt from this experience. You got great names after all. :)

markits
16th November 2007, 06:31 AM
Not sure about that. Alexa rankings for search in China are:

Baidu.com Ranked 13
Baidu.cn Ranked 14932

Google.cn Ranked 60

Yahoo.cn Ranked 5890

Chinese site -- Global alexa rank
QQ.com -- 17
QQ.cn -- 849,271
ku6.com -- 167
ku6.cn -- 6,119,650
163.com -- 49
163.cn -- 258,314
Taobao.com -- 59
Taobao.cn -- 92,478
sohu.com -- 44
sohu.cn -- 2,273,204

The most visited 100 websites in China:
1. Baidu.com
baidu.com

2. 腾讯网(http://www.qq.com)
qq.com

3. 新浪新闻中心
sina.com.cn

4. Google.cn
google.cn

5. 网易
163.com

6. 淘宝网
taobao.com

7. Sohu.com Inc.
sohu.com

8. 雅虎中国
yahoo.com.cn

9. Google
google.com

10. 56.com
56.com

11. 六间房
6.cn

12. 优酷
youku.com

13. TOM.COM
tom.com

14. 东方财富网
eastmoney.com

15. 酷溜网
ku6.com

16. 中华网
china.com

17. Poco.cn
poco.cn

18. 搜狗(SOGOU.com)
sogou.com

19. Soso搜搜
soso.com

20. Windows Live
live.com

21. Yahoo!
yahoo.com

22. Mop.com
mop.com

23. 博客网
blogchina.com

24. Tudou.com (Toodou.com) 土豆网
tudou.com

25. 51.com
51.com

26. Alibaba.com
alibaba.com

27. Xunlei.com
xunlei.com

28. 中关村在线
zol.com.cn

29. 互联星空
vnet.cn

30. Microsoft Network (MSN)
msn.com

31. 天极网下载频道
yesky.com

32. Newsgroup.la
newsgroup.la

33. IT168
it168.com

34. 起点中文网
cmfu.com

35. 电子优惠券中心(http://www.nianlai.com)
126.com

36. PCHOME
pchome.net

37. 12530.com
12530.com

38. 人民网
people.com.cn

39. 迅雷旗下-狗狗影视搜索
gougou.com

40. 房地产门户-搜房网
soufun.com

41. Hao123.com
hao123.com

42. Xiaonei.com
xiaonei.com

43. 新华网
xinhuanet.com

44. 凤凰网(凤凰新媒体)
phoenixtv.com

45. ChinaRen中国人
chinaren.com

46. 拍拍网(http://www.paipai.com)
paipai.com

47. 多玩游戏
duowan.com

48. 和讯网
homeway.com.cn

49. 天涯社区
tianya.cn

50. PCPOP电脑时尚
pcpop.com

51. 上海热线
online.sh.cn

52. 北青网
ynet.com

53. 三九健康网
39.net

54. Microsoft Corporation
microsoft.com

55. 金融界网
jrj.com.cn

56. 太平洋电脑网
pconline.com.cn

57. 分贝网
163888.net

58. Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
icbc.com.cn

59. WangYou Media
wangyou.com

60. Verycd.com
verycd.com

61. Kuaiche.com
kuaiche.com

62. 17173
17173.com

63. 一听音乐网
1ting.com

64. 大旗网
daqi.com

65. 网游网
5617.com

66. Megaupload
megaupload.com

67. Uusee悠视网
uusee.com

68. 中华英才网
chinahr.com

69. YouTube
youtube.com

70. Facebook
facebook.com

71. 4399.com
4399.com

72. 网络实名
3721.com

73. 世纪佳缘
love21cn.com

74. 焦点房地产网(FOCUS.cn)
focus.cn

75. 无忧工作网
51job.com

76. 4399.net
4399.net

77. 中国站长站
chinaz.com

78. IPart-爱情公寓
ipart.cn

79. 265.com
265.com

80. 中国移动通信
chinamobile.com

81. 小熊在线
beareyes.com.cn

82. Allyes.com
allyes.com

83. Sogua.com
sogua.com

84. 中央电视台
cctv.com

85. 中国博客网
blogcn.com

86. 寻医问药网
xyxy.net

87. 小说阅读网
readnovel.com

88. 我要啦免费统计
51.la

89. 网上车市
cheshi.com.cn

90. 163data.com.cn
163data.com.cn

91. 21cn.com
21cn.com

92. 当当网
dangdang.com

93. Mofile.com
mofile.com

94. 证券之星
stockstar.com

95. 中国软件开发网
csdn.net

96. 汽车之家(Autohome.com.cn)
autohome.com.cn

97. Yahoo!カテゴリ
yahoo.co.jp

98. Che168.com
che168.com

99. Ouou.com
ouou.com

100. 联合早报网
zaobao.com

burnsinternet
16th November 2007, 07:48 AM
*sigh*

You guys have some great Chinese domain names. All of you. I only have a small few. The developed ones are excellent domain names with lousy extensions and getting traffic, but no revenue.

Does that help?