PDA

View Full Version : Time flies ...

domainguru
17th November 2007, 10:24 AM
I believe its the GeoAuction today isn't it?

http://marketplacepro.moniker.com/auction/detail.html?auction_id=182

Good luck to anyone with names up, and hope there is at least one eye-catching IDN sale. Would give everyone a boost going into 2008, which I'm going to re-christen as "IDN Year"

Olney
17th November 2007, 10:33 AM
You beat me to it
Good luck ....

Rubber Duck
17th November 2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks Lee. I think we have got as good a chance as anyone. Ours are priced to sell, but I would just not want to call it. There are people there who probably understand enough, and have the resources, it is just a question of whether they feel motivated or not. Much is also down to how the team get it across. Having Tina there should help, if only indirectly!

If we do sell obviously then the next actions come into focus. Domainfest is at the end of January, and Traffics is in the middle of February.

domainguru
17th November 2007, 11:01 AM
I contacted DomainFest and they said they weren't accepting IDNs for this January auction. Have you heard different?

Rubber Duck
17th November 2007, 11:08 AM
No, I haven't but things can change!

domainguru
17th November 2007, 11:20 AM
ah ok, I don't think it is going to happen though. They are only accepting applications until Dec 11th and they told me IDNs wouldn't be considered.

jacksonm
17th November 2007, 11:42 AM
Why is Moniker listing all the IDNs in the live auction with Punycode?

How many people who are previewing the list will know what they are or how to convert them? Are they going to say xn-- at the auction block, too?

domainguru
17th November 2007, 12:36 PM

How many people who are previewing the list will know what they are or how to convert them? Are they going to say xn-- at the auction block, too?

They should certainly list the unicode in all literature. But if you are expecting Monte to learn how to pronounce domains in 47 languages, you'll be waiting a long time :p

The only logical end-game I can see is IDN-specific auctions, even specific languages / scripts. You can already see the trend towards categorized domain auctions not general ones.

jacksonm
17th November 2007, 12:48 PM
They should certainly list the unicode in all literature. But if you are expecting Monte to learn how to pronounce domains in 47 languages, you'll be waiting a long time :p

The only logical end-game I can see is IDN-specific auctions, even specific languages / scripts. You can already see the trend towards categorized domain auctions not general ones.

They should list something like:

Unicode (meaning in Chinese)

That certainly wouldn't be too challenging. When they are at the auction block, they could say "Beijing.com in simple Chinese - punycode" or "Taiwan.com in traditional Chinese - punycode", etc.

domainguru
17th November 2007, 12:52 PM
They should list something like:

Unicode (meaning in Chinese)

That certainly wouldn't be too challenging. When they are at the auction block, they could say "Beijing.com in simple Chinese - punycode" or "Taiwan.com in traditional Chinese - punycode", etc.

presuming they actually know what any of them mean :p

The thing is, by doing the translation, they are effectively providing a guarantee. They probably don't want to do that, keep their liability to a minimum.

touchring
17th November 2007, 01:00 PM

This really sucks. Those ASCIIer will now think in terms of punycode! :o

jacksonm
17th November 2007, 01:13 PM

The thing is, by doing the translation, they are effectively providing a guarantee. They probably don't want to do that, keep their liability to a minimum.

One would think that if they didn't verify and believe the meaning of the IDN then they wouldn't be putting their reputation on the line by allowing it in.

In this case, though, AC was calling the shots. I wonder if Dan Guyes had something to do with the Punycode listings... That would actually be my first guess.

domainguru
17th November 2007, 01:25 PM
One would think that if they didn't verify and believe the meaning of the IDN then they wouldn't be putting their reputation on the line by allowing it in.

In this case, though, AC was calling the shots. I wonder if Dan Guyes had something to do with the Punycode listings... That would actually be my first guess.

Should find out later today.

bwhhisc
17th November 2007, 01:29 PM
Are the numbers posted the minimum bids? For instance if a domain is listed in the $10,000- $50,000 range (I made that range up)
does the MINIMUM bid have to be $ 10,000?

Rubber Duck
17th November 2007, 02:15 PM
ah ok, I don't think it is going to happen though. They are only accepting applications until Dec 11th and they told me IDNs wouldn't be considered.

Domainfest are a bit of an unknown quantity, but I can assure you Moniker can be flexible. I am sure if you stumped up a domain like Business.com half an hour before the event, they would find some way of getting it in.

Unicode and Translation are provided in the master list. This seems to be a problem of website design. Monte is struggling at this level a bit. He has assured me that there is no Live Auction in Macau, but judge for yourselves:

http://marketplacepro.moniker.com/auction/detail.html?auction_id=183

Rubber Duck
17th November 2007, 02:20 PM
This really sucks. Those ASCIIer will now think in terms of punycode! :o

I think you find if there is a purchase, this will either come from within the Associated Cities circle or from close contacts of Moniker. There may of course be some Chinese speakers in the room, but they wouldn't be able to read punycode. :p

domainguru
17th November 2007, 02:30 PM
Domainfest are a bit of an unknown quantity, but I can assure you Moniker can be flexible. I am sure if you stumped up a domain like Business.com half an hour before the event, they would find some way of getting it in.

Unicode and Translation are provided in the master list. This seems to be a problem of website design. Monte is struggling at this level a bit. He has assured me that there is no Live Auction in Macau, but judge for yourselves:

http://marketplacepro.moniker.com/auction/detail.html?auction_id=183

ah yes, just downloaded the master list. Would help for a start if they did their website in utf-8, it will come in time.

As for the list, I must have counted half a dozen IDNs in there that are "Italian IDNs" for places that aren't in Italy or have any major connection with Italy? Why would Moniker accept all these when presumably they turned down much better domains. Or didn't they get many submissions?

RD, are you really saying Monte doesn't know about the auction in Macau? Has he got a passport even? ;)

jacksonm
17th November 2007, 02:36 PM
As for the list, I must have counted half a dozen IDNs in there that are "Italian IDNs" for places that aren't in Italy or have any major connection with Italy?

AFAIK Italian language very rarely uses non-ascii characters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_alphabet

Rubber Duck
17th November 2007, 02:37 PM
ah yes, just downloaded the master list. Would help for a start if they did their website in utf-8, it will come in time.

As for the list, I must have counted half a dozen IDNs in there that are "Italian IDNs" for places that aren't in Italy or have any major connection with Italy? Why would Moniker accept all these when presumably they turned down much better domains. Or didn't they get many submissions?

RD, are you really saying Monte doesn't know about the auction in Macau? Has he got a passport even? ;)

When I saw it was going to be live. I tried to slip in the Chinese for 888.com as a late entry, only to be told there was NO Live Auction!

domainguru
17th November 2007, 02:39 PM
AFAIK Italian language very rarely uses non-ascii characters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_alphabet

So the question remains, why did they accept such domains? Who made the decision, and why?

Rubber Duck
17th November 2007, 02:46 PM
Well whatever the outcome, I have to be in bed for tomorrow.

Lenka is flying out early to make her first speculative investment in Czech Real Estate.

And the object of her desire:

http://img85.imageshack.us/my.php?image=11172007160458ze6.jpg

Well, it is a start.