PDA

View Full Version : Massive Surge in North American Traffic Yesterday

Rubber Duck
18th November 2007, 10:39 AM
It seems that getting the IDN into the Live Auction has had some benefit.

Traffic up across the board, with increase all from North America. When I say up I mean more than DOUBLE.

Japanese was main beneficiary which indicates to me that this was speculator lead. Hindi was also unusually strong!

jacksonm
18th November 2007, 10:54 AM
It seems that getting the IDN into the Live Auction has had some benefit.

Traffic up across the board, with increase all from North America. When I say up I mean more than DOUBLE.

Japanese was main beneficiary which indicates to me that this was speculator lead. Hindi was also unusually strong!

I also got a big surge in parked traffic, mostly from North America.

One thing I wonder, though. If this is a bot, e.g. one of Jay's bots, then the thing would be going down the reg lists in chronological order. I have basically seen that type of behaviour with my visits. However, as we generally tend to reg genres at the same go, it could also be people running through genre lists.

Do you have any more stats which you can gather, e.g. cities? For example if you are running these through analytics before forwarding to DD.

Rubber Duck
18th November 2007, 11:00 AM
Sorry nothing more useful to add, except I am guessing we didn't do most of regs at the same time.

jacksonm
18th November 2007, 11:59 AM
I just got another big pile of visits and I am certain of a pattern now, 95% of the North American traffic to my IDNs are for ones which were regged on the same day(s). The other 5% is very likely search traffic matching the keywords in the erroneous english language indexing of the parking pages.

dotworx
18th November 2007, 01:04 PM
I noted exactly the same traffic surge from North America on my chinese IDN's (i dont have many IDN in other languages).

Agree with RD - could well be the speculators!

DomainDialect
18th November 2007, 02:29 PM
Bengali and Hebrew views- all North America but 1.

And today as well...

jacksonm
18th November 2007, 06:50 PM
I have definitely tracked the source down now:

pingdom.com - owner lives in sweden, but is hosted in the USA.

They are currently hitting my DNS and webserver for thousands of IDNs, in rapid succession.

Just like this:

DNS
2007-11-18 20:45:57.783109500 45249e3d:809a:2f8b + 0001 www.xn--***.net

Webserver
209.62.82.14 - - [18/Nov/2007:20:51:36 +0100] localhost "GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.1" 404 208 "www.xn--***.net" "Pingdom GIGRIB (http://www.pingdom.com)"

Domain obscured with ***.

mulligan
18th November 2007, 07:02 PM
pingdom.com

http://hownow.brownpau.com/archives/2006/10/an_open_letter_to_pingdomcom_and_jdcdesignscom_on_the_topic_of_referrer_spam/

Hi,

I just noticed this thread and wanted to make sure there are no misunderstandings about what we are doing.

Yes, we do monitor the uptime for a large number of websites, but that specific visit comes from research we are currently doing.

We definitely have no sinister motives with this. We are scanning through domain names to gather general statistics such as web server info, HTTP status codes, etc. The aim is to create something along the lines of http://www.domaintools.com/, and right now we are in the process of building up our database, which takes time (there are a lot of domain names out there...)
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=171057

The fact these guys even mention domaintools is suspicious in itself .. building something similar or are working for them.

sarcle
18th November 2007, 08:12 PM
Am I the only one that actually saw a decrease in revenue yesterday? After an entire month of my names breaking records my revenue and traffic was cut in half at Namedrive.

Hm.... I'm feeling cheated.

Rubber Duck
18th November 2007, 08:14 PM
Am I the only one that actually saw a decrease in revenue yesterday? After an entire month of my names breaking records my revenue and traffic was cut in half at Namedrive.

Not yesterday, but I do get wobbles!

thegenius1
18th November 2007, 08:31 PM

Glad to you back around , you been mia since Vegas !

seamo
19th November 2007, 01:04 AM
Can confirm the spike from NA yesterday as well - all on my parked Japanese cities.

Nice to hear traffic is still on the way up for you Sarcle...

sarcle
19th November 2007, 01:55 AM
Glad to you back around , you been mia since Vegas !

Yeah. You never called me bastard. I'm sure I owe a few people some cash. ;)

Nice to hear traffic is still on the way up for you Sarcle

Traffic screwed me there for a good while in most languages. The serp shuffle? But parking has picked up dramatically to where it's getting respectable daily earnings.

Not yesterday, but I do get wobbles!

Yeah same with the wobbles but this was a full tilt.

burnsinternet
20th November 2007, 08:05 AM
This surge has been nearly doubling every day. Again, seems too targeted to be bots. It might be a combination of bots, though. It is getting annoying to have so many views and almost no clicks from the same continent.

seamo
20th November 2007, 08:20 AM
This surge has been nearly doubling every day. Again, seems too targeted to be bots. It might be a combination of bots, though. It is getting annoying to have so many views and almost no clicks from the same continent.
My traffic dipped today - but still mainly from NA as well...across most languages now, not just my JP's

Anyone else stil getting hit here?

jacksonm
20th November 2007, 10:38 AM

I am experiencing the same thing and 99% of it is coming from pingdom.com