PDA

View Full Version : Finish .orgs allowed?

mgrohan
20th November 2007, 04:56 AM
Are Finnish .orgs allowed.

The term i am looking at is Finnish but the only foreign characters in the name are ö and ä. I think these characters occur in danish and german (which are allowed in .org)

Google trends show that term is only usedi n Finish (not shared in danish like many words).

Will this name be able to be regged or not? thanks.

markits
20th November 2007, 05:03 AM
Yes. In this particular case you can reg it either as Danish or as German.
Good luck.

mgrohan
20th November 2007, 05:14 AM
Thanks Markits :)

jacksonm
20th November 2007, 05:59 AM
Are Finnish .orgs allowed.

The term i am looking at is Finnish but the only foreign characters in the name are ö and ä. I think these characters occur in danish and german (which are allowed in .org)

Google trends show that term is only usedi n Finish (not shared in danish like many words).

Will this name be able to be regged or not? thanks.

Markits is right, ö and ä can be regged as Danish.

However, let me tell you why .org is not widely used in Finland and not generally a good choice:

To speak Finnish, all words must end with a vowel. If the vowel is missing from the end of a word, e.g. a foreign word, an i will be added. That makes .org domains become .orgi in the spoken sense, which can be perceived to sound like Orgy. Think about the radio test, old ladies, etc...

Take my word for it, dot orgs are hardly used by Finns. You may find a few exceptions though for sex related terms, etc. Or the other case is where people reg something to keep it away from the competition, but even this is rare.

So if your term is not sexual related, then I would drop it for credit.

mgrohan
20th November 2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the additional information jacksonm, any other languages where extensions should be avoided, maybe for reasons similar to this on?

jacksonm
20th November 2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the additional information jacksonm, any other languages where extensions should be avoided, maybe for reasons similar to this on?

Not sure. I only speak Finnish, English, and German... a very small amount of French.

If you want to PM your Finnish word to me, I will comment on it. Or you could just post it here.