PDA

View Full Version : My first IDN, ergh>.<

metronome
20th November 2007, 10:29 AM
Hi there,

I just bought 报到.com. And actually wonders which one is better, getting simplified Chinese IDN or getting traditional Chinese IDN?

I don't speak Chinese well, but I do know and learn some of Chinese Mandarin, in both simplified version and traditional. But still I am not really sure if 报到 is famous word there.>.< And yea, I bought / registered the domain thru Dynadot. I wonder if I have to keep it or throw it away quickly before the grace period is over.

hangman21
20th November 2007, 10:36 AM
simplified > traditional. only places u will see traditional around is taiwan and hongkong vs about 1 billion+ ppl using simplified in China.

as of ur term, 报道.com "report" not a bad one for ur first purchase, much better then what i reg'd my first time :p , id keep it.

anyways welcome here

metronome
20th November 2007, 10:42 AM
simplified > traditional. only places u will see traditional around is taiwan and hongkong vs about 1 billion+ ppl using simplified in China.

as of ur term, 报道.com "report" not a bad one for ur first purchase, much better then what i reg'd my first time :p , id keep it.

anyways welcome here

Ha, 报到 means report? Hmm I thought it means "register".

that's great. traditional Chinese is pretty hard for me to keep up. I learned traditional up to elementary level only lolz, and when I pass the elementary level I found myself almost 18 years old by that time and I needed to go find university here in Canada and has had no time anymore to learn traditional Chinese after that>.<

actually, it is a news that Hong Kong peoples still use traditional Chinese, that explains why HK OVT return 0 for 报到 >.<
thanks for fast reply btw:)

markits
20th November 2007, 10:51 AM
Welcome metronome,
注册 means register. 报到 is kinda weird as a domain name (it does somewhat means register). I'd simply drop it and get refund if possible. Of course 报到 is a solid & established word, but for $8 you can get much better Chinese domain now.

mgrohan
20th November 2007, 01:02 PM
Yeah, little bit of a strange domain name. means report, (as in a policeman reporting for duty), or to 'check in'..

metronome
20th November 2007, 01:42 PM
not "report" for sure......just checked it
the pronounciation might be same, but the writing is different

bao dao, the "dao" part is different between my "dao"(which means: arrive) and another "dao"(which means report if it is being put together with bao dao)

asked my native chinese friend(a cantonese that doesnt live in HK), he said it means register, but it could be used in hotel to check in.

@markits

I will consider getting another chinese dn, but hell gettin one is a lot of work already huh? :D :p

hangman21
20th November 2007, 02:10 PM
chinese IDN's are so dam hard to get in .com extention now..at least the better ones, and nobody seems to like .nets, .cn's have their downside too.

i kinda gave up on finding chinese IDN's. a couple hundred million ppl searching for the same language , sighs

metronome
20th November 2007, 02:14 PM
.cn is expensive, need to wait until it gets cheaper~~, but again, if you wait till it gets cheaper, they are going to be run out>.<

metronome
22nd November 2007, 04:07 AM
btw, just bought this guy too: 记载.com
that's my third purchase lol

is 记载.com any good?

mgrohan
22nd November 2007, 05:16 AM
记载 (JiZai) means to put down in writing / record something, and also refer to the account/record of something.

Chinese seems to be the most heavily mined languages for IDNs, pretty much everything decent is gone in com and cn. I think at this stage if you find a term that is not registered in .com, .net, and .cn, 99% of the time it will not be a great term.

Not too sure how 记载.com would be developed?

metronome
22nd November 2007, 05:29 AM
记载 (JiZai) means to put down in writing / record something, and also refer to the account/record of something.

Chinese seems to be the most heavily mined languages for IDNs, pretty much everything decent is gone in com and cn. I think at this stage if you find a term that is not registered in .com, .net, and .cn, 99% of the time it will not be a great term.

Not too sure how 记载.com would be developed?

by far I parked those two domain ( 记载.com and 报到.com) with sedo
frankly, 报到.com fare better in sedo than 记载.com, tho the difference is not much, but it is visible in long term lol, I think I gonna have to drop the 记载.com....

burnsinternet
22nd November 2007, 05:44 AM
You are doing better than I did with Chinese when I first started. I should have tailgated when I could at the time, but I am sure others took up that slack.

metronome
22nd November 2007, 10:07 AM
ok discarded that 记载.com
and then bought three new ones, and would some help determining if the names are bust or to keep:

nds游戏.com (supposed to be: NDS game)
惠城区.com (don't bother looking at the meaning, this is a name of district in Hui Zhou, named Hui Cheng District, Hui Chen District is the city seat of Hui Zhou, Hui Zhou is one of area/province/district/county of Guang Dong)
惠城.com (don't bother looking at the meaning too, this is Hui Cheng, the name of a city district)

the problem is I dont know which to keep, Hui Cheng District.com or just Hui Cheng.com

please advise. thank:)

and about 报到.com
I have another native chinese friend, he told me that the meaning is register.com but different type of register.
register has a lot of meaning, and this one kinda being used to report someone/some company/school/your boss/your wife that you are there.
if you are using this 报到 in term of hotel, it means that you report the hotel that you are there, in other word, check in
if you are using this 报到 in term of school, it means that you report to the school/homeroom teacher, that you are there/participate
if you are using this 报到 in term of tour stuffs, it means that you report to the tourleader that you are there/present
if you are using this 报到 in term of military, it means that you report to your sergeant/general/etc that you are ready and present for duty

so.....this makes me even more confused lolz. but at least there are some traffic going to this site pas 2 days while that 记载.com receives only 1 crap visit(that might be myself haha).

hangman21
22nd November 2007, 10:11 AM
go ahead and toss the mixed one away

metronome
22nd November 2007, 10:16 AM
You are doing better than I did with Chinese when I first started. I should have tailgated when I could at the time, but I am sure others took up that slack.

seems like you are pretty successful in purchasing the arabic IDN:) especially that java.com~~

go ahead and toss the mixed one away

you mean toss the nds游戏.com away?
hmmm the reason I bought this domain is because the psp游戏.com in taken haha.
I will consider tossing it away, sedo seems like having hard long time to accept this domain.

bwhhisc
22nd November 2007, 10:35 AM
Be careful of traffic the first day or two after you register...usually a BOT!
There is very little traffic to most IDNs except for maybe adult names, and some other top keywords
like creditcard, games etc. You can build good traffic if you put up mini sites etc and page rank visibility.

Don't click on your own parked pages or you will be tossed out of Namedrive or Sedo f-a-s-t.

metronome
22nd November 2007, 10:38 AM
Be careful of traffic the first day or two after you register...usually a BOT!
There is very little traffic to most IDNs except for maybe adult names, and some other top keywords
like creditcard, games etc. You can build good traffic if you put up mini sites etc and page rank visibility.

Don't click on your own parked pages or you will be tossed out of Namedrive or Sedo f-a-s-t.

thanks for reminder, hmm ya cud be the darn bots:D
and nah 1 or 3 clicks on my own parking page wont help anyway>.<

burnsinternet
22nd November 2007, 10:44 AM
seems like you are pretty successful in purchasing the arabic IDN:) especially that java.com~~

Oh, I got lucky on a few, thanks! A couple of years ago, while everyone seemed to be chasing Japanese IDNs, I skipped around and found a few other places to look. Keep working at it. You will be rewarded.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

mgrohan
22nd November 2007, 12:30 PM
nds游戏.com is not too bad. 300+ searches a day in baidu, and only 200,000 results, should be easy to rank top if you develop.
I would keep this one.

metronome
23rd November 2007, 02:10 PM
nds游戏.com is not too bad. 300+ searches a day in baidu, and only 200,000 results, should be easy to rank top if you develop.
I would keep this one.

what do u think of the prospect of:
惠城区.com
惠城.com

they are both the name of city seat of huizhou territorry of guang zhou, but when I parked them, they both give bad traffic. Is it always like that for IDN-cityname domain name?

or may be the .cn version of city name is better than .com version? - since when I registered both of them, they have already had their .cn version registered