PDA

View Full Version : How would you like a transparent stats service for parked domains?

jacksonm
20th November 2007, 08:17 PM
Are you fed up with Namedrive's lack of detail and poor reporting system? Are you fed up with Google Analytics requirements to create domain profiles and inability to do global portfolio reporting?

How about a system where you can get reports which are nearly identical to Google Analytics for every one of your parked domains? How about a system where you can actually extract your data and get statistical reports across all of your domains?

Now what if I told you that every bit of this is handled without any work on your side, that all you need to do is a single mass-operation to change the nameservers for your domains? Would you be willing to pay for such a service?

rhys
1st December 2007, 04:11 AM
The reporting is very much needed and is a great idea. I might pay something less than $5. If every month was like this month in parking - I would pay $5. Also who provides the parking?

jacksonm
1st December 2007, 07:47 AM
The reporting is very much needed and is a great idea. I might pay something less than $5. If every month was like this month in parking - I would pay $5. Also who provides the parking?

The parking is wherever you choose. Let me give you an example of a portfolio which could be statistically managed under this system:

5 domains parked at sedo
200 domains parked at nd
20 domains parked at dopa
15 minisite domains hosted anywhere

And you could get the same stats for every one of them, from a centralized reporting tool. The goal of the reporting is to provide you with the knowledge you need to make decisions. That knowledge is easily very valuable if you have a mid-sized to large portfolio. It gives you the knowledge of how your network is operating. As a network operator, without this knowledge, you are operating blindfolded and with assumptions.

But as you can see via the poll that most people are tightwads. It would require moderate effort for me to build this system, so I'd need to ensure enough people were interested first.

touchring
1st December 2007, 08:47 AM
This is a good idea. You should make the service free.

Because you got the names to your name servers, you could easily set up your own parking service once you got hold of enough users. ;)

"Tick this to switch to Jacksonmparking".

jacksonm
1st December 2007, 08:54 AM
This is a good idea. You should make the service free.

Because you got the names to your name servers, you could easily set up your own parking service once you got hold of enough users. ;)

"Tick this to switch to Jacksonmparking".

Google won't even consider you for an adsense domains feed if you have less than 20k domains.

How many domains could you add toward that number?

Rubber Duck
1st December 2007, 08:58 AM
Google won't even consider you for an adsense domains feed if you have less than 20k domains.

How many domains could you add toward that number?

I think they would be flexible on that number, if you can demonstrate very high levels of traffic.

jacksonm
1st December 2007, 09:04 AM
I think they would be flexible on that number, if you can demonstrate very high levels of traffic.

I think if I could assemble about 6000 domains which all average 20 uniques per day, then we'd be in business.

Rubber Duck
1st December 2007, 09:09 AM
I think if I could assemble about 6000 domains which all average 20 uniques per day, then we'd be in business.

In any event, once the traffic kicks in, going out and acquiring 20K Mediocre names is not going to be a major problem! :)

Noemi
1st December 2007, 09:31 AM
I'd pay nothing -- I can do this myself, tailored to my needs, just takes a couple more minutes.

jacksonm
1st December 2007, 09:43 AM
I'd pay nothing -- I can do this myself, tailored to my needs, just takes a couple more minutes.

What just takes a couple more minutes?

bwhhisc
1st December 2007, 12:22 PM
Minutes?? Can you tell us more.

MJ- I would be interested in participating if this gets off the ground.

Rubber Duck
1st December 2007, 12:24 PM
Minutes??
I would be interested too.

I think that is as in "One Born every" :)

domainguru
1st December 2007, 12:28 PM

The only thing I can do in a couple of minutes is take a piss :p

jacksonm
1st December 2007, 12:32 PM
Minutes?? Can you tell us more.

MJ- I would be interested in participating if this gets off the ground.

Minutes, indeed. I am talking about building an enterprise-grade reporting system which can transparently gather and report statistics for a disparately monetized portfolio.

Thanks, Bill. I will mark you down.

Who was the other person that voted positively? Please identify yourself.

tee1
1st December 2007, 01:25 PM
One place to coordinate all parking reports would be nice, especially given this months parking $$. Eventually a MJ parking service dedicated to IDNs :)

tee1

bwhhisc
1st December 2007, 02:48 PM
One place to coordinate all parking reports would be nice, especially given this months parking $$. Eventually a MJ parking service dedicated to IDNs :) tee1

This is not only a good idea, but a GREAT idea. There is huge potential in pooling all of our IDNs as a "group" even
if that is just for buying power, or to negotiate transparancy and fair rev-share with various parking companies.
Not sure how many people are "dedicated" at ie. Namedrive or Sedo to the IDN department, but how things work
and payouts calculated from google, to yahoo, to parking companies is certainly kept a secret.

jacksonm
1st December 2007, 03:20 PM
This is not only a good idea, but a GREAT idea. There is huge potential in pooling all of our IDNs as a "group" even
if that is just for buying power, or to negotiate transparancy and fair rev-share with various parking companies.
Not sure how many people are "dedicated" at ie. Namedrive or Sedo to the IDN department, but how things work
and payouts calculated from google, to yahoo, to parking companies is certainly kept a secret.

Well, it only stands to reason that if google pays me e.g. 0.04 - 0.07 usd per click for search traffic to arabic websites/minisites, and nd only pays me 0.01 usd for the same, then someone is taking a disproportionately fat profit.

According to public financial reports, Google revealed that they pay publishers around 88% of what they charge a publisher for a click.

For parked domains, I think Google actually pays higher (and charges the advertiser higher per click) for visits without referrals than it does for search traffic. For search traffic which results in clicks to parked domains, I think the payout is the same as it would be for search traffic which results in clicks to websites/minisites - however, the parking company takes their cut.

I believe that most people's clicks are currently resulting from search traffic to parked domains. I estimate that parking companies are paying us around 25-50% of what they receive from Google, e.g. what would be a 0.04 usd click on a search to a minisite would be a 0.01 usd click on a search to a parked page.

For type-in traffic, which is still very small for most of us, I would estimate that the parking companies are paying out about 10% of what they receive from Google.

I think the real problem with transparency is that Google prohibits parking companies from disclosing any information at all. Of course, this actually works in the favor of the parking companies as they can take an arbitrary cut.

Anybody interested in proceeding with anything, please PM me or just mail me directly.

touchring
1st December 2007, 05:32 PM
I think it's not so simple as 25-50%.

Take ND for example, they probably pay out a big margin for clicks less than 5 cents, but over 15 cents, they may take a bigger cut. My guess over after comparing the stats.

jacksonm
1st December 2007, 05:52 PM
I think it's not so simple as 25-50%.

Take ND for example, they probably pay out a big margin for clicks less than 5 cents, but over 15 cents, they may take a bigger cut. My guess over after comparing the stats.

Yes, I certainly would not discount that they would be using a progressive scale algorithm.

touchring
1st December 2007, 06:03 PM
Yes, I certainly would not discount that they would be using a progressive scale algorithm.

That is the tricky part, if google pays you $4 for that click, ND might take 50% out, leaving you $2, but for most part, ppc maybe like 10 cents, and ND takes only 2 cents. So, you'll never know whether ND pays less unless you do a side by side comparison with 2 month's worth of data.

Also, i've seen cases whereby ND pays more than Google - i suspect depends on the keyword used, some keywords pay twice or triple of others.

domainguru
1st December 2007, 07:30 PM
According to public financial reports, Google revealed that they pay publishers around 88% of what they charge a publisher for a click.

That's total nonsense of the highest order. There is no way in the world google pay out 88% of what what they get for a click on an adsense site. Why do you think they make so much profit? Everyone knows google screws everyone they can, and yahoo pay out far more, but at the moment, yahoo are limited to US, and only a small part of that.

88% = joke.

jacksonm
1st December 2007, 07:38 PM
That's total nonsense of the highest order. There is no way in the world google pay out 88% of what what they get for a click on an adsense site. Why do you think they make so much profit? Everyone knows google screws everyone they can, and yahoo pay out far more, but at the moment, yahoo are limited to US, and only a small part of that.

88% = joke.

You may not believe it, but what I am saying is that I read reports over the past year that this is the figure they had filed in their annual sec filing. True or not, this is what they were reported to have filed.

domainguru
1st December 2007, 08:12 PM
You may not believe it, but what I am saying is that I read reports over the past year that this is the figure they had filed in their annual sec filing. True or not, this is what they were reported to have filed.

Nah, I don't believe it. I had a name where top bid was $5 to $6 on adsense, but we were getting paid around $0.20. But when we put it on a domain parking program (yahoo, not google), we got upwards of $1 per click.

So tell me Google are paying out 88% - simply don't believe it. They paid us less than 10%.

And why would they pay 88%, when worldwide their competition is minimal. If they wanted to pay a decent amount, they would stipulate that in their partnership agreements, which of course they don't, not a single figure is mentioned ....

Steve Clarke
1st December 2007, 08:43 PM
I remember seeing a report last year ( I wish I knew where to find it), where Google said that they were taking far less than they were previously, and that the parking companies were making significantly higher profits as a result.

That leads me to believe that the parking companies have colluded together, to keep a much higher percentage of the pie.

I know my per click money has declined steadily over the last couple of years.

I know when I originally placed domains at Bodis, when it first started out, at 100% pay out...domains that were earning about $8 at various places, shot up to $45/day.

Too bad they had problems with fraudulent accounts.

We, as domain owners are definitely getting the short end of the stick, from these parking companies!

I've redirected most of my traffic IDNS, to GreatIDNS.com....I'd rather get some exposure to IDNS, and my names, than accept the peanuts they are throwing at me, at the parking companies.

jacksonm
1st December 2007, 08:52 PM
I say we team together and make our own parking company.

Steve Clarke
1st December 2007, 09:10 PM
I'm not very tech savy at all....but I would definitely move my names to such a site, and also place banner and text ads on GreatIDNS for it.

The time has come for a parking service that is willing to share a higher percentage, while still earning very good revenues for its owner/administrators.

As a domainer, and a very important piece of the parking industry...I'm tired of getting only the scraps that fall off the table.

Fka200
1st December 2007, 09:16 PM
I say we team together and make our own parking company.

I hate to say it, but we would need to be VERY limited with applications. With what happened to Bodis.com... not worth a repeat. I'd actually be interested in something like this, but have no clue what I could offer to help start it up :( .

jacksonm
1st December 2007, 09:33 PM
I hate to say it, but we would need to be VERY limited with applications. With what happened to Bodis.com... not worth a repeat. I'd actually be interested in something like this, but have no clue what I could offer to help start it up :( .

What happened to bodis.com? They appear to still be operating.

BTW, there is something fishy about someone who offers 100% revenue share.

Fka200
1st December 2007, 09:42 PM
What happened to bodis.com? They appear to still be operating.

BTW, there is something fishy about someone who offers 100% revenue share.

They banned 90% of their users. Revenue isn't fixed yet either. Still waiting for them to take care of that.

jacksonm
1st December 2007, 09:49 PM
They banned 90% of their users. Revenue isn't fixed yet either. Still waiting for them to take care of that.

What was the reason for the mass banning?

sunsei21
1st December 2007, 09:58 PM
What was the reason for the mass banning?

traffic quality and something about the feed provider comming down on them or something like that

Steve Clarke
1st December 2007, 10:38 PM
I think the main problem was with fraudulent accounts, and click fraud.

Some members were setting up multiple accounts, and click fraud was being commited with these accounts.

Because the feed providers and their advertisers were paying out so much due to these accounts and their fraudulent clicks, I believe some of the feed providers backed out.

Then the ads became irrelavant, and the revenues tanked.

That is one area that would have to be addressed in some way.

It was doing awesome on my names, (and my wifes names which saw a 500% increase in revenue, over Namedrive....without any click fraud.

I guess Bodis grew so fast, because of the promise of 100% revenue share that it couldn't keep track of who was joining....even members joining with multiple accounts and the same IP address.
However, at the same time, because it had so many domains in its stable, it was able to acquire pretty good deals with feed providers.

The trick would IMO be able to balance who was joining, and still have a good number of domains, so that the feed providers would want to make decent percentage deals.

Thats my take on it, anyway.

tee1
2nd December 2007, 03:32 AM
That leads me to believe that the parking companies have colluded together, to keep a much higher percentage of the pie.

No question that who to accept would be important, but you still have to keep in mind IDNs are in their infancy as far diffusion and type ins, tough to evaluate all portfolios. alot of info could be gathered by analyzing the emergence of type ins in one language and apply it to others

seems like BODIS needed to evaluate the owners, if click fraud was occurring. However, lets see BODIS 100% payoff.
1. owners should be making much more, so wouldn't they want to support BODIS and not participate in click fraud/arbitrage
2. some are just greedy bastards, sure but 90%:o

so if parking companies colluded, would they facilitate click fraud on a new establishment in the parking industry paying 100%, they wouldn't, would they. lets see they lose a good portfolio to BODIS, would turn the click bot loose on it. that wouldn't happen would it?

touchring
2nd December 2007, 08:13 AM
88% = joke.

Was it gross margin - in that, did they include the cost of overheads?

Like cost of serving the ads, cost of maintaing the program (most of it go towards the hundred million dollars options), cost of running adwords, etc, etc.