PDA

View Full Version : An Idea for Promoting Chinese IDN's In China

phio
20th November 2007, 08:41 PM
I have a friend who is putting on a big event in China this coming May (2008)
I will probably be helping him at some point in the spring. It dawned on me that there will perhaps be a huge local turnout at the event (perhaps even millions) Most of the folks who attend will take their families and a good percentage will be internet users.

If we really want idn's.com and .net to take off, perhaps doing some marketing at this event would help. I am not a marketing expert, and I don't want any cut or profit out of this, excepting the fact that I own xxx chinese idn's. I haven't run this by my friend yet, but I think he would be happy to give us some kind of booth or presence at the event (just for my helping him with other things) He's dropping by Thursday for Thanksgiving with his family.

I am open to any ideas and suggestions. The event is called celebrationchina and there is a slow website that you can see what it's about at the .com

Some of my initial thoughts were: Each member of IDNforum could promote one or two domain names (providing that they have good content or are parked with congruent links - and can be browsed from China mainland) Somehow we could come up with free gifts, pens, fridgemagnets and other gadgets with our idn's printed on them and give them out free to passerbyers. Or even a few banners in bright colors promoting the idns could do the trick. I'm not aware of the rules in China for handouts/advertizing and this would have to be legit.

Seems like 2008 can be a good year to push IDN's with this event and with the olympics.

Also, if there are some locals qingdao, please let me know if you are interested

Wot
21st November 2007, 12:04 AM
I have a friend who is putting on a big event in China this coming May (2008)
I will probably be helping him at some point in the spring. It dawned on me that there will perhaps be a huge local turnout at the event (perhaps even millions) Most of the folks who attend will take their families and a good percentage will be internet users.

If we really want idn's.com and .net to take off, perhaps doing some marketing at this event would help. I am not a marketing expert, and I don't want any cut or profit out of this, excepting the fact that I own xxx chinese idn's. I haven't run this by my friend yet, but I think he would be happy to give us some kind of booth or presence at the event (just for my helping him with other things) He's dropping by Thursday for Thanksgiving with his family.

I am open to any ideas and suggestions. The event is called celebrationchina and there is a slow website that you can see what it's about at the .com

Some of my initial thoughts were: Each member of IDNforum could promote one or two domain names (providing that they have good content or are parked with congruent links - and can be browsed from China mainland) Somehow we could come up with free gifts, pens, fridgemagnets and other gadgets with our idn's printed on them and give them out free to passerbyers. Or even a few banners in bright colors promoting the idns could do the trick. I'm not aware of the rules in China for handouts/advertizing and this would have to be legit.

Seems like 2008 can be a good year to push IDN's with this event and with the olympics.

Also, if there are some locals qingdao, please let me know if you are interested

All ideas to promote IDN are useful, the simplest is to get your names in to the top few pages at Google.cn and Baidu.com - the internet users will see them and off we go.